Definitive Technology Mythos STS Issue

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
2 THX 460T towers $650 each and 1 THX 365C center channel is $450 that's $1750 for all 3 I don't think you will find a better deal out there in my opinion
The THX speakers look more reasonable. The encore towers look like a waste of space and resources. A speaker that big and with all those drivers and end up with a turnover frequency of 100 Hz, can not be considered a serious design, and the center is a horizontal MTM.

The THX line look a better bet, and the center is three way. Those units use the Morel mid tweeter speaker on the same face plate, which is a good unit. I would say if he goes with those, only the THX line is worth consideration.

Even so those speakers will not provide the SQ of the BMR monitor, which is clearly an absolutely a superb design and well worth the extra outlay. Overall it is the better value on performance per dollar. To add to the deal you have the legendary Salk craftsmanship. Dollar for dollar that is the far better value.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
The THX speakers look more reasonable. The encore towers look like a waste of space and resources. A speaker that big and with all those drivers and end up with a turnover frequency of 100 Hz, can not be considered a serious design, and the center is a horizontal MTM.

The THX line look a better bet, and the center is three way. Those units use the Morel mid tweeter speaker on the same face plate, which is a good unit. I would say if he goes with those, only the THX line is worth consideration.

Even so those speakers will not provide the SQ of the BMR monitor, which is clearly an absolutely a superb design and well worth the extra outlay. Overall it is the better value on performance per dollar. To add to the deal you have the legendary Salk craftsmanship. Dollar for dollar that is the far better value.
Agreed out of the choices the BMR is the best but bang for buck the THX lineup of Monolith is really hard to be beat.

Although after owning the Encore T6 towers I have to say those sound seriously good for the money. I only mentioned them because OP has a tighter budget but your right the Monolith THX is the better of the 2 lines. But if OP wants the absolute best audio quality and doesn't mind waiting on a center then the BMR is the way to go I think your right about that

N

NDyse10

Junior Audioholic
Well I did research this and look at John Atkinson's data. The cross from that ABR bass unit to the mid units is at exactly 150 Hz and fourth order 24db. per octave high and low pass. The instruction manual says to set the receiver to large for the connection to the speaker terminals which are from the left and right outputs. So this needs a full range signal to those terminals. So in that case there is a passive fourth order high pass filter to mid units most likely, alternatively there could be a second order high pass passive and an acoustic second order roll off of the sealed drivers. Either way there is a 24db. per octave high pass.

So that is why the receiver must output a full range signal to the speaker terminals on the back. So the speaker set up has to be LFE + main. The crossover to the sub output should be set to 150 Hz, and the crossover on the subs as high as possible. This should hopefully give a balanced fourth order 24db per octave high and low pass filters at 150 Hz. That will be as closely as a separate sub unit could be contrived if he does not want to repair the amp. How well this will work is open to conjecture. Those speakers in fact measure quite well. There is however some crossover gain at 150 Hz and some degree of peaking.

The unknown is how well his subs function to 225 Hz. Since the cross is at 150 Hz, and the order fourth, he needs good performance from the sub at least half an octave above 150 Hz which would be 225 Hz, ideally an octave above which would be 300 Hz.

His best solution is to get the amp repaired. He has to test the sub driver in that defective speaker and report the DC resistance to DefTech, otherwise he gets no warranty.

The number may be out of the ordinary, as DefTech are known for highly unusual impedances in their active woofers and subs, often in the 75 ohm range. So it is anyone's guess what the DC resistance should measure.

I think the OPs best options are either to repair the amp, or ditch the speakers and replace. Those amps are miserable class C units.
Follow up question on this as I'm tinkering now.

I have my Subwoofer mode set to LFE+Main. I have the "LPF for LFE" set at 250hz. First question is that correct?

2nd question is there is a separate crossover frequency area in my receiver. Do I set that to 250hz? Any adjustments need to be made with the dials on the back of the SVS?

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.

I have my Subwoofer mode set to LFE+Main. I have the "LPF for LFE" set at 250hz. First question is that correct?

2nd question is there is a separate crossover frequency area in my receiver. Do I set that to 250hz? Any adjustments need to be made with the dials on the back of the SVS?
The sub- LFE out should be set to 150 Hz

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi

LPF of LFE affects .1 channel content which is usually limited to 120Hz so that's the usual suggested setting for that. It isn't a crossover for the sub, that's what the crossover area in your receiver is for.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis