Definitive Technology In-Wall Sub Calibration Help

A

Adam Murguia

Enthusiast
Hey!

I have this sub amplifier (SubAmp600) driving two of these IW 10/10's.

I have REW and the UMIK-1. I want to be able to calibrate these subs separately, but don't see a way to do it given that amp just drives the speakers from a single LFE source. Can anyone see a way to do this? I want to make sure they sum correctly, are phased well, etc. I thought I would try here as definitive technology support is not usually helpful

Thank you!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
REW is primarily about measurement altho it can work with some hardware like miniDSP to implement REW suggested filters/eq.

A

Adam Murguia

Enthusiast
Yup. Totally got that. Once REW tells me my subs are not summing well or phased right, I just want to be able to make the adjustments to my subs. But can't really see a way to. That's what I'm trying to figure out.

Cheers.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Yup. Totally got that. Once REW tells me my subs are not summing well or phased right, I just want to be able to make the adjustments to my subs. But can't really see a way to. That's what I'm trying to figure out.

Cheers.
With your set up there is no way to do that.

Last edited:
everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Yeah, I thought that might be the case.
Yeah as Lovin mentioned a minidsp would be you best low cost solution

The regular 2x4 would probably work, but the HD version is upgradable to Dirac room eq if that would ever be needed.

A

Adam Murguia

Enthusiast
Thanks for the tip. If I’m not mistaken, I may not even be able to use that solution. There’s no LFE RCA input on these subs, just speaker wire connections, and only one LFE input on their dedicated amp. So I think to do what I want to do, I may need to trash the SubAmp 600, and drive them with two separate amps. Or use the unused channels on my pair of Marantz M8077 amps to drive them? Would I blow something up if I did that? :D

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Thanks for the tip. If I’m not mistaken, I may not even be able to use that solution. There’s no LFE RCA input on these subs, just speaker wire connections, and only one LFE input on their dedicated amp. So I think to do what I want to do, I may need to trash the SubAmp 600, and drive them with two separate amps. Or use the unused channels on my pair of Marantz M8077 amps to drive them? Would I blow something up if I did that? :D
Yes but you put it inline between your avr and the sub amp.

A

Adam Murguia

Enthusiast
Okay so I see a couple of options:

My unused channels on the Marantz 8077 amp are at 150 watts per channel into 8 ohms. On my SubAmp 600 currently driving the subs, it's 230 watts per channel into unknown ohms. So I could get a mini DSP HD and drive the Def Tech subs with the Marantz instead of the Def Tech SubAmp. The question, will the power loss be very noticeable with the drop from 230 to 150 watts?

The second option, buy a dedicated 300 Watt per channel 2-channel amp to run both Def Tech subs. If I go this option, what's the best 2-channel amp (I know this is pretty subjective, just looking for opinions). Money isn't the deciding factor, but I want to keep in mind the quality of the subs. For example, I would not buy the NAD masters amp to run a couple of Def Tech subs. Also, will I blow my IW 10/10 subs up with 300 watts given they are currently using 230 watts?

Thanks!

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
What's WRONG with the subwoofer sound now?

A lot of times, unless the sound is bad or somehow off, you're just wasting your time and money.

A

Adam Murguia

Enthusiast
What's WRONG with the subwoofer sound now?
Yeah, I get it. I'm at the point where I'm looking at frequency graphs with REW and optimizing for a flat response across the frequency range using the UMIK-1. So I'm "in it" as they say. I want to optimize each sub so they work well together, instead of having to treat them both as one sub! Which of course is not optimal as they are across the room from one another. I can't just go get a few SVS subs because the in-wall setup is important for family sanity (although I did just buy an SVS SB-3000 I can put under the desk in the back of the room).

...and this may be overkill for a def tech system ^

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis