Definitive Technology Demand D17 voicematching

T

TheOriginalTurry

Audiophyte
Hey guys good evening. Just picked up a set of Demand D17s today and was wondering if I would have voice matching issues with my C/L/R 3000 center. I am moving on from my BP10s to the new Demands so I hope I don't have to pick up the Demand Center to get it balanced again. Anybody on here have any experience with the Demands and older Def Tech gear?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Hey guys good evening. Just picked up a set of Demand D17s today and was wondering if I would have voice matching issues with my C/L/R 3000 center. I am moving on from my BP10s to the new Demands so I hope I don't have to pick up the Demand Center to get it balanced again. Anybody on here have any experience with the Demands and older Def Tech gear?
Sorry to tell you this, but I think that the C/L/R center likely has very different performance targets than the Demand series. The Demand series is pretty different from other Deftech stuff. If it were me, I wouldn't even use the Deftech Demand center speaker. It's probably OK for an MTM, but I think a better center for the Demand D17s would be the Polk Legend L400. These speakers are very much alike. They are made by the same design teams and have similar performance targets, but the Polk is a 3-way that has vastly superior off-axis performance to the Demand center. I know the Polk center is expensive, but it is really good.

T

TheOriginalTurry

Audiophyte
Whats your thoughts on the SVS Ultra 3-Way center?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
The obvious question is, well, how does your current CLR3000 sound with those D17?

If they all sound awesome to YOU, does it matter what other people think? :D

I have a friend who recently got the D17 and 5C Center. They sound pretty good to me. But if your current CLR3000 sound good to you, then it IS good.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Whats your thoughts on the SVS Ultra 3-Way center?
I don't think the SVS would have the same target response as the Demand D17s at all. I think that the Polk L400s would be mostly voiced the same as your Demand speakers.
If you are really balking at spending that much on a center speaker, a good 3-way that probably won't clash with the Demand speakers is the Paradigm Premier 500C. That is also a very neutral center speaker. The response above 10kHz is very different, but stuff that high doesn't matter that much. If you use a room correction program like Audyssey or ARC, the differences will matter even less since the EQ system will alter the response of all the speakers to more conform to a target curve.

T

TheOriginalTurry

Audiophyte
Def use Audyssey 32. Then tweak with my phone app. Thanks!

T

TheOriginalTurry

Audiophyte
I haven't gotten the D17s yet. I just have heard they are amazing vs the old BP stuff and my current setup will do better with the non-BiPolar setup.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Positive things said about the Demand bookshelf speakers. Seems to be a nice series

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I haven't gotten the D17s yet. I just have heard they are amazing vs the old BP stuff and my current setup will do better with the non-BiPolar setup.
Don't jump the gun. Just hear for yourself once you get those D17 towers.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis