Definitive Technology Demand D15 Tower Speaker Review

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Definitive Technology launched their ‘Demand’ series loudspeakers back in late 2017 with three different bookshelf speakers. Two and a half years later they have finally expanded their Demand series line with two floor-standing speakers and a center speaker with the D15, D17, and D5C respectively. The difference between the two floor-standing speakers is that the D17 uses slightly larger drivers which should give it a bit more bass extension and slightly more dynamic range. In for review today, we have the D15. The question that lay before us: is the D15 merely an afterthought that fills in a slot in a product line, or did Definitive Technology put some real effort in? Read our full review of the Definitive Technology Demand D15 to find out...
READ: Definitive Technology Demand D15 Floor-Standing Loudspeaker Review

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Is DefTech under new management?
I ask because it looks like the FR they specify (at least on the bottom end) is accurate!
In the past, they have routinely exaggerated the performance of their speakers.
Wondering if you knew anything about this?

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I ask because it looks like the FR they specify (at least on the bottom end) is accurate!
Hopefully Sound United told them to stop farting rainbows and clean their sh!t up!
:cool:

M

Mpsafranski

Audioholic
Really like the look of this line. The D11s are tempting at their price especially since there are some open box deals on eBay. Wonder how they compare the the Ultra bookshelves.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Hopefully Sound United told them to stop farting rainbows and clean their sh!t up!
Many of the same people who made the recent Polk Legend series made these. I am not sure how Sound united blended the Deftech people with their other speaker design teams after that acquisition, but I think Sound United is just having all their speakers designed by the same folks now. And since these designs are of such high-quality, that is not a bad thing.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
That's so funny! I was just looking at the D17 earlier today. I still have the tab open!

So I noticed something new on the spec page. I mean, I'm not positive but... it looks like... honest fr and sensitivity specs!! :eek:

They list a realistic f3 of 42 hz (D17) and the sensitivity is a very modest 87 dB. Has DefTech been listening to the negative feedback on their historically bloated specs? For me that's really been one of the biggest sticking points with them. They're capable of making a decent speaker. I'd really like to hear the Demand series.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I was just saying that! I noticed it too. If so it's a very good move on their part. That's been a thorn in the side of many audiophiles and offers ample ammunition for critics.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Nice write-up, Shady!
I'm very appreciative that DT has seemingly grown up a little bit. These do in fact look like big-boy speakers. Uncertain if they are worth the price tag, but it is a significant step forward in their effort.

FWIW, I think you are a little overly generous in your Second Paragraph... :) But then again, I am a curmudgeon and find those particular speakers to be abhorrent at best and DT to be complicit in scamming consumers for years.
:D

That said, let there be earned praise for the Demands.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
With the start of this DefTech Review each time I visit the Audioholics site I now see a blond advertising her services to treat patients with Tinnitus.

Are these new speakers making everyone Deaf? :D

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
With the start of this DefTech Review each time I visit the Audioholics site I now see a blond advertising her services to treat patients with Tinnitus.

Are these new speakers making everyone Deaf? :D
The ads from Google will all be individualized, so you are probably the only one seeing that particular ad at this site.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Funny that several people say they love the looks and it looks up scale now.

I don't really like the looks, maybe they look better in person, but the pics just don't seem to scream out high quality build to me.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord

I don't really like the looks, maybe they look better in person, but the pics just don't seem to scream out high quality build to me.
Is it the "orange juicer mid-range" or the "snakeskin woofer"?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
It looks like the on-axis FR from 200Hz-15kHz is about +/- 1.6dB, which is extremely accurate for big towers.

So I think we're kind of in SHOCK. :D

This is really great news for DefTech fans.

Compare this to the DefTech BP9080 tower, which is about +/-3.5dB from 200Hz-15kHz.

So I guess we can now say the new DefTech flagship speaker line is "accurate". :D

Last edited:
AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi

Yeah, I prefer my speakers to be more Curvy, not Boxy.

This DefTech flagship line looks more like the Boxy/Square aesthetics of the newer KEF Reference speakers. Very boxy square.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Is it the "orange juicer mid-range" or the "snakeskin woofer"?
Actually, it's that offset tweeter that gets me the most! Not just the tweeter, but that odd off-centered trim piece.

Then, just that plain white cab, I think I prefer the black socks.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Actually, it's that offset tweeter that gets me the most! Not just the tweeter, but that odd off-centered trim piece.

Then, just that plain white cab, I think I prefer the black socks.
My pictures aren't doing this speaker justice. It is a gloss white cabinet with a finely brushed aluminum front baffle. It is pretty swank.

K

kini

Full Audioholic
Thanks for another great review.

Shootout time! Def Tech, the new Polks and JBL HDI. :)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis