Definitive Technology Crossover Advice (7.1.4 Atmos System)

A

Adam Murguia

Enthusiast
Hello!

This question gets asked A LOT, but I'd like a gut check as I'm reading so many conflicting things about crossover settings. In essence, should I set each of my channel pairs manually, or set the receiver to 80 Hz and be done with it? I do care about good sound, and don't mind setting things manually if I can make it better. Here's my system:

SMALL SQUARE ROOM 15' x 20' DOLBY ATMOS 7.1.4
Marantz AV8802a Receiver
Two Marantz MM8077 Amplifiers
Definitive Technology SubAmp 600

IN-WALL SPEAKER SETUP
L/R DI 6.5 LCR (Recommended 40 Hz XO)
Center CS9080 (Recommended Full Range)
Surround UIW RSS III (Recommended 120 Hz XO)
Rear Surround UIW RCS III (Recommended 60 Hz XO)
Height DI 6.5S Recommended 60 Hz XO)
Subs 2X IW Sub 10/10 (Range 16 Hz to 200 Hz)

I'm asking the question for a couple reasons. First, the recommended XO for all the speakers vary wildly. I read that I shouldn't have XO settings with that large a range if I want a well integrated sound. Second, a frustration, my center channel says to use it full range because it has an 8" driver and a passive 10" radiator. But that receiver won't let me set the L/R to small and the center to large. I'm not sure what to do about that or if I should care. Third, I'm using LFE, and not LFE+Main because that's a whole different topic.

I know a LOT of this is subjective, but want some rules of thumb or best practices given this quirky system.

Thank you in advance!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Set your larger speakers to 80 hz and smaller speakers to 100-120 hz. The large/small settings are always wonky on almost every brand of avr. You should basically almost never use the large setting, even for large speakers. Think of it like the small setting allows you to apply a crossover and large does not.

LFE is good, LFE + Mains can muddy things up.

A

Adam Murguia

Enthusiast
Thank you. Any advice on what you would consider large and small. I'm not sure the Def Tech suggestions are great. Like, are THESE really large as per their recommended 60 Hz XO settings? Etc.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
DefTech is historically a little cagey with their published specs... I'm not saying their speakers suck, but they tend to exaggerate some of their performance specs. I wouldn't go any lower than 80 hz with any of those speakers. I'd try 80 on all except the ones (UIW RSS III) that are recommended for a higher crossover.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Thank you. Any advice on what you would consider large and small.
I think for a speaker to be considered "Large" it should have a frequency range that's more or less flat to at least 20 hz. That's a herculean effort for any floorstanding speaker and the ones that are capable of it I would have to mortgage my house to be able to buy them, lol. In short, there are very few speakers that earn that setting imo. Anything less and you're going to want help from a subwoofer for the deep stuff.

I have some pretty big, ballsy speakers and set them on small with a 80 hz crossover as well. I can even make an argument for a higher crossover as it improves my mid bass response a bit more, but I find 80 acceptable.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Agree with everything so far. Except poges, you left out the subs? Lmao!!!!!

A

Adam Murguia

Enthusiast
Okay great. I'll set things to 80 Hz but will go 120 Hz on the surrounds. If I lack thump, I'll bump up the XO on some of the smaller speakers like rear surrounds and height.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Okay great. I'll set things to 80 Hz but will go 120 Hz on the surrounds. If I lack thump, I'll bump up the XO on some of the smaller speakers like rear surrounds and height.
I think you'll get more of a noticeable response playing with the crossover of your main L/R speakers. Especially for music. They get a lot more information than the rest, with exception of the center for movies and shows.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis