Definitive Technology BP9000 Series "Atmos Ready" Speakers Preview

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Definitive Technology announced the launch of the BP9000 series loudspeakers—its 4th generation of Bipolar tower speakers, matching center channels, surrounds, and a height speaker module, designed to offer true, full-range performance for listeners seeking the highest quality audio reproduction. The A90 represents a true transcendence in design from its ho-hum A60 model it replaces. Definitive Technology has stepped up its game both in performance and aesthetics. Just take a look at the full BP9000 speaker setup in the lifestyle photo. Who wouldn't want this speaker system in their living room? The added Atmos support is just icing on this very tasty looking cake.

Read: "Definitive Technology BP9000 Series "Atmos Ready" Speakers Preview

hk2000

hk2000

Junior Audioholic
I'll believe it when I hear it! Even then I may not believe it. Whatever happened to the technology of wave interference- where 2 wave sources intersecting in mid air and therefore producing a point source at the intersecting point, I read about it a few years back, but never heard anything again, that sounds like an ideal solution for Atmos or any similar audio processing.

A

alpinist

Audiophyte
After hearing Gene and Hugo repeatedly snicker and mock the whole 'bouncy-house' concept, and now for them to bestow the 'Gotta Have It' designation on DefTech's bouncy house approach, well, BIG hit on credibility.

P

propdrc

Audiophyte
I completely see your point alpinist and CAN'T BELIEVE WHAT I JUST READ.
Does anyone else smell a rat? Did Sandy hack your account or slip you a check Gene? This doesn't sound like you... What's wrong, did RBH break up with you? The one DefTec tower review on the site was enough but this is grabbing your ankles for Sandy... What's next, glowing Audioquest cable reviews and 2 for 1 bottles of Audioholics Brand Snake Oil?
Excuse me while I puke...

Bizarro_Stormy

Bizarro_Stormy

Audioholics Whac-A-Mole'er™
The key word here, folks, is "Preview"... not "Review"...

BlwnAway

BlwnAway

Audioholic
The key word here, folks, is "Preview"... not "Review"...
Exactly... Gene isn't saying that they are that good, he's saying that in concept they appear to be better than the earlier offerings.
At least that's the way I read it.

Personally, without hearing them yet, I'd agree, in spec a 4.5" driver should perform much better than the 3" in the old A60 module. No matter if an upfiring module is the right choice or not.

And while Gene always was a fan of Sandy's speakers, let's not forget DefTech's aren't his anymore, they are a modification of his original design.

Last edited:
Kane

Kane

Audiophyte
I'm kinda glad you folks didn't make the plane to go see the speakers demo'd by the DT company. I can't wait to see what you think of them after you get them back to your own listening environment and testing facility.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Meh.

The real story here is probably that the 8000 series will likely be deeply discounted!

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Yeah, but who wants deftechs?

SheepStar
DT are decent, especially if you can get them at deep discounts. I've been pretty happy with my SM350, they sound pretty good and dig fairly deep, and match well on my Dynaco ST70.

I paid $200 for them. Granted, the Wavecrests nor the AA were on the market back then and either of those are almost certainly better.

My 2 cents on DT-- Don't pay anything near MSRP, and don't even bother looking at those inflated specs. And, I wouldn't use them as my critical 2 channel listening rig.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis