Definitive Technology BP2000 Plate Amp Died - Replacement Options?

J

Jwheel

Audioholic
Audioholics friends,

I posted this in the loudspeaker forum as well, but figured I might have better luck in the subwoofer forum. I have a pair of Definitive Technology BP2000's that I've owned for 20 years. Just the other day, the plate amp (300w) in one of them died. Of course it's an old model no longer supported making replacement parts impossible to find. Rather than ditch the speakers, I'm thinking about buying a replacement BASH amp and just modifying the tower to accomodate it. The amp powers the 15" 4ohm sub. Of course the speaker terminals for the mids/tweeters are on the amp too so I'll need to add a new speaker terminal for those.

I'm pretty handy and am confident I can modify the enclosure. The technical side of this is what I'm wondering about. Anyone see any issues with this amp or have another recommendation of a possibly different one I should use? If there's a reason why this wont work, I'm all ears.

Thanks,

Jeff

Last edited:
Bryce_H

Bryce_H

Senior Audioholic
I don't have an answer, but I am still rocking 22 year old BP2002's!

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
Audioholics friends,

I posted this in the loudspeaker forum as well, but figured I might have better luck in the subwoofer forum. I have a pair of Definitive Technology BP2000's that I've owned for 20 years. Just the other day, the plate amp (300w) in one of them died. Of course it's an old model no longer supported making replacement parts impossible to find. Rather than ditch the speakers, I'm thinking about buying a replacement BASH amp and just modifying the tower to accomodate it. The amp powers the 15" 4ohm sub. Of course the speaker terminals for the mids/tweeters are on the amp too so I'll need to add a new speaker terminal for those.

I'm pretty handy and am confident I can modify the enclosure. The technical side of this is what I'm wondering about. Anyone see any issues with this amp or have another recommendation of a possibly different one I should use? If there's a reason why this wont work, I'm all ears.

Thanks,

Jeff
I don't think these had dsp so that might be an option however have you ever considered finding a used pair of BP 2000's and either taking an amp out to replace the one you have and then you have a spare if you have any more issues

Or just switching out the speaker with the new one

You can sometimes find these used on eBay or other venues for good prices

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis