Definitive Technology BP-3000 Tower hook up advice

A

Anchorman80

Audiophyte
I plan to bi-wire a pair of Definitive Technology BP-3000 towers to a Marantz SR6013 for a customer this coming week as this is how it was wired damn near 20 years ago when it was first installed. I'm looking for any advice as to how to properly set them up when configuring the system. It will have 9 amplified channels including rear surrounds, two Atmos in-ceiling speakers, and two surround back speakers. There won't be a stand-alone sub so I was considering setting the speakers to large and utilizing the LFE + main setting during configuration. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Attachments

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
Well bi-wiring doesn’t do anything. Same with bi-amping off a receiver.

But DefTech recommends you just use speaker wire to connect them, no need for a LFE cable, as you are running them large.

Seems like you’re just trying to spend your customer’s money :p

A

Anchorman80

Audiophyte
Not at all, like I mentioned there isn't a dedicated sub, so it won't hit the lower frequencies assigned to the .1 or .2 effects. Did you look at the pic I attached? It has three binding posts of which two sets are currently in use. Plus it doesn't cost any money at all to run a couple of lines of coax for LFE.[/QUOTE]

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
How exactly did you come to the conclusion that two sets of binding posts were not in use? They are clearly all wired together with the metal bridge shown in the picture.

And when you run them large, that means full range, meaning all of the signal gets sent to them. So like I said, no need for another transfer of the same exact signal.

A

Anchorman80

Audiophyte
Ok, I'm not arguing anything, just trying to piece this together as this is the first time I've seen this many binding posts on a speaker. My experience only goes back roughly 8 years and I don't claim to know it all. Which of the three posts would you suggest I use? The receiver that was hooked up wouldn't even power up anymore, so I wanted to make sure that the unnecessary bi-wiring wasn't the culprit. Also, do you think there will plenty of low-frequency extension just running them large?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
I used to own DefTech BP7000 towers.

I prefer setting speakers to Small and using Sub output of AVR to connect to the LFE/Sub Input of the towers.

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
I used to own DefTech BP7000 towers.

I prefer setting speakers to Small and using Sub output of AVR to connect to the LFE/Sub Input of the towers.
This would be optimal, and what I would do.

I talked with a professional installer about this after being a bit confused and he recommended this as you can manage the subs as if they were separate subwoofers.

And he did not know if there was any difference in signals between full range (large) and LFE.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis