Definitive Technology Arms their New Descend Series Subs with Cool Tech

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Definitive Technologies announced the release of their Descend Series subwoofers. The new line consists of four high-performance models ranging from 8" to 15" drivers and dual passive radiators designed to produce more impactful, dynamic, and extended bass response than with competitive brands. Their new Intelligent Phase Control" is said to ease with setup. Do we think the Descend Series will deliver room-filling bass that will make seats shake and hearts pound?

We like what we are seeing here from Definitive Technology. Anyone can make a high performance subwoofer play loud and deep with a large driver in a large enclosure with a hefty amp. Definitive Technology seems to be pushing the bleeding edge of engineering by employing a dual passive radiator bass alignment mated with a high performance active drive unit and powerful amplifier. In order for passive radiator systems to work most effectively, you generally need 2X the surface area of the active drive unit. This is exactly what Definitive Technology is doing with the Descend series of subwoofers. We find their "Intelligent Phase Control" technology interesting and like the inclusion of an All Pass Filter which may really help integration of a problematic multi-sub system due to room issues coupled with non optimal placement. We look forward to reviewing these subwoofers in the near future.
def.jpg

Read: Definitive Technology Descend Series Subwoofers Overview

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Sounds like marketing BS which is what Def tech is great at. I've lost all faith in Def Tech after being a customer for 20+ years.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
So these are the updated supercubes basically?
Which were a terrible value. Believe me I was dumb enough to buy one before I knew better.

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Oh, I know. I bought one too before I knew better. :confused:
Supercube II and it sucked from the day I got it. Pain the the ass to setup online unlike my SVS PB 2000 Pro which was a super easy especially with the app. I don't have to touch the back of that sub for anything.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Considering DefTech got it kinda right with the demand series… maybe, perhaps, they can fully remove their collective head from their…

But then again, this could easily turn into one big stinking unicorn fart.

Perhaps there will be a review by a reputable organization that can put one of these through the wringer and tell us true if there is value in them. :)

H

Hetfield

Audioholic Samurai
Considering DefTech got it kinda right with the demand series… maybe, perhaps, they can fully remove their collective head from their…

But then again, this could easily turn into one big stinking unicorn fart.

Perhaps there will be a review by a reputable organization that can put one of these through the wringer and tell us true if there is value in them. :)
The Demand series might be great but super, duper expensive. There seems to be much better choice for way less money but that's just how I think.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
The Demand series might be great but super, duper expensive. There seems to be much better choice for way less money but that's just how I think.

I agree on pricing. They seem to be playing for the "perceived value" market by ratcheting it up a bit. But the reviews were so much better than their BP cr@p, they deserve the props for dropping the BS.
Now we'll see if they learned their lesson... or if these are gonna be more lame-sauce with a double side of weak...

K

kini

Full Audioholic
Oh, I know. I bought one too before I knew better. :confused:
Me too. Super Cube 8000. It's OK for its size but not the price. I do say though that it's been rock solid in reliability. I've had 2 amps and the driver replaced on my PC12+ during its tenure so far.

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
Guys, reserve judgement until we measure them. Def tech made some good subs back in the day.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
You might have measured them BEFORE mentioning them to this blood thirsty bunch.;)

L

luis1090

Audioholic Intern
Guys, reserve judgement until we measure them. Def tech made some good subs back in the day.
I'm more interested in the SVS Micro 3000 review, being waiting since you guys previewed it in March. Any idea when it will be posted? I'm ready to purchase pending your review and I know SVS have a great return policy but I hate to return products.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Sound United seems to be shepherding their brands well. If they can get DT to release good Speakers, then it would follow the Subs could be legit as well.

Now what’s going on with Boston Acoustics? ;)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I can wait for the reviews but a glance at the pricing does seem a bit high (but then passive radiators cost more than ports, too).

gene

gene

Audioholics Master Chief
Administrator
I'm more interested in the SVS Micro 3000 review, being waiting since you guys previewed it in March. Any idea when it will be posted? I'm ready to purchase pending your review and I know SVS have a great return policy but I hate to return products.
It's connected to my digital piano RN. I hope to measure it in a couple of weeks and do a YT video before CEDIA.

NINaudio

NINaudio

Audioholic Samurai
I will say that in looking at the 8" DN8 model, they at least have posted reasonable specs saying "custom amplification provides the Descend DN8 enough power and efficiency to play as low as 35Hz from a one-foot wide box. " Which is much more realistic than the 18 Hz, they said my SC 4000 would be capable of...

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
What are you wanting from the Micro? SVS has measurements posted on their site and they ain't promising if you're looking for deep bass. It's a lifestyle product that can add a little bass to small speakers in a small room, limited on space but it's definitely not a true subwoofer.

L

luis1090

Audioholic Intern
What are you wanting from the Micro? SVS has measurements posted on their site and they ain't promising if you're looking for deep bass. It's a lifestyle product that can add a little bass to small speakers in a small room, limited on space but it's definitely not a true subwoofer.
Well I have read some reviews and it seems the 3000 Micro performs out of its league given the size and price. Regarding your assessment on deep bass or lack off it; I will like to know what is your definition of deep bass??...23hz to me is just 3hz shy of 20hz that's being for the longest the holly grail of deep bass, granted around 3db lower on output. As you can see a proper review with measurements from Audioholics will help me find out if this is the right subwoofer for me, obviously isn't for you based on your comments.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis