Definitive Technology 9040 Towers No Covers

K

Kyle0910

Audioholic Intern
So....I have the DefTech 9040 towers.

Long story short my brother lives with me and got a cat, my speakers look like a scratching post. I think that is enough said.

They don't look terrible but they don't look that great.

I was wondering if I cut the covers off of them is that would effect sound quality. I didn't know if the cover had any audio benefits with these particular speakers.

My guess is no, and I know they don't look very pretty underneath, but I just want some thoughts. I can provide pictures tonight.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
So....I have the DefTech 9040 towers.

Long story short my brother lives with me and got a cat, my speakers look like a scratching post. I think that is enough said.

They don't look terrible but they don't look that great.

I was wondering if I cut the covers off of them is that would effect sound quality. I didn't know if the cover had any audio benefits with these particular speakers.

My guess is no, and I know they don't look very pretty underneath, but I just want some thoughts. I can provide pictures tonight.

Nope, if anything they will sound better because it’s one less object the sound has to pass through.

K

Kyle0910

Audioholic Intern
Nope, if anything they will sound better because it’s one less object the sound has to pass through.
I thought that as well. I just didn't know if they were designed with that in mind. I hope they don't look too ugly with them off haha.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
As long as the cats don't continue their work on the now exposed drivers....

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
I thought that as well. I just didn't know if they were designed with that in mind. I hope they don't look too ugly with them off haha.

The only thing I’m thinking is what @lovinthehd said which the cats may just scratch the rest of the speaker now which wouldn’t be good.

And I’m also thinking that, IMO, Def Techs are a little harsh so the cloth cover may be dampening that so when you take it off expect to hear a slight amount of treble increase. Could possibly be inaudible but just a note.

K

Kyle0910

Audioholic Intern
The only thing I’m thinking is what @lovinthehd said which the cats may just scratch the rest of the speaker now which wouldn’t be good.

And I’m also thinking that, IMO, Def Techs are a little harsh so the cloth cover may be dampening that so when you take it off expect to hear a slight amount of treble increase. Could possibly be inaudible but just a note.
Yea that thing is staying in the room at all times so that won't be an issue. And I am moving in a couple months so I couldn't do it until I move.

But that is a good note, I'll just take some measurements and see what happens.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
As a cat owner, I sympathize. When I first looked at those, as well as the SVS PC series Subs, I saw destruction and decimation in my future, as well as the most expensive scratching posts ever! I even went as far as considering building my own perforated metal speaker grills for a speaker I ended up choosing not to buy. Ordinarily, my cats aren't destructive, but its a concern as all cats do this naturally.
Put a good scratching post near the speakers if the cat(s) will be near them unattended. That should be much more attractive to them then the speakers themselves... especially without the cloth cover.
And if you really love the DefTechs... consider this the opportunity to really pimp them out!
You could make your own speaker wrap from any choice of fabric... you could install your own speaker grills even... an unfortunate but potentially fun and rewarding DIY opportunity to make them your own!

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I would make sure the cat has a post to scratch, and a cardboard scratcher away from the speakers, and basically “his own space”. Cats usually ignore things like speakers and stuff as long as they have their own things, and a space to be comfortable and safe.
As far as speakers without cover, some are tuned and made to be used with covers, and some not. IMO those DT’s are made to be covered and if you can actually tell the difference with/without I’d be amazed. Acoustic cloth hasn’t made much of any difference that i could ever discern.

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Catnip usually gets their attention so sprinkle that magic herb on the scratch post so they attack that instead of your speakers.

I’m also a fan of water spray bottles just in case... LOL :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Catnip usually gets their attention so sprinkle that magic herb on the scratch post so they attack that instead of your speakers.

I’m also a fan of water spray bottles just in case... LOL :)
Yep. The water bottle is great.

K

Kyle0910

Audioholic Intern
Yea, I have thought about upgrading but I think with my space these are pretty good. But then again...you can never have speakers too big haha.

And yea I think I'll do the scratching post thing with catnip, that sounds like a good idea.

And I'll spray the hell out of that damn cat if it tries again.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Yea, I have thought about upgrading but I think with my space these are pretty good. But then again...you can never have speakers too big haha.

And yea I think I'll do the scratching post thing with catnip, that sounds like a good idea.

And I'll spray the hell out of that damn cat if it tries again.

I mentioned this once before when I was asking about metal grills...
We had a cat that would scratch something, get sprayed, lick it off and do it again!

Just give the cat a sexy as hell scratching post... start it near the speakers and move it away just a little bit at a time... but not too far. In a way, the cat is kind of laying claim to those speakers. So give it some love and patience, and a better place for it to make its own. ;) also, have a cool cat toy and keep it close... and some treats... if the cat starts showing the wrong kind of interest, distract it with the toy... lead it to the actual post, then reward it with a little more play and a treat.

Pedro Alvarado

Pedro Alvarado

Full Audioholic
naked def techs look hideous.

I'm interested to see what you will replace the cloth with.

some urban camo paint scheme?

how about a vinyl wrap?!

Bernie Sanders stickers?

wrap the bottom half with sisal rope for the cat.

white paint and use them as dry erase boards?

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
We have 3 cats. My worst fears have not been realized yet in 3+ years of having good speakers.

The KEF R series has magnetically-attached grilles, and thus far I haven't seen any interest in them. I'm sure if they got to the grilles and started pulling, I'd find them on the floor. I wouldn't cry, the speakers look better without grilles. My wife might take issue though.

The most recent addition was the most at-risk item, a KEF Kube 10b sub on the floor of my office. It's like the Def Tech speakers, a complete fabric wrap. It's been about 9 months, nothing yet. The cat who figures she owns me and walks across my desk has thus far ignored the naked LS50's sitting there. I'm happy they have no grilles!

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
My son got an "indoor" cat and then left to go visit his mom in Spain for a month. I would come home and the thing would be howling to come out of his room. I also had an 80+ pound red nosed pit bull at the time, that I inherited, that had a bad reputation with cats. I decided I was going to let the cat out and these two were going to be friends no matter what. That part was ok. They ended up being pals. What wasn't ok was, the first thing the cat did was took a dump on my then new sofa.

He instantly became an outdoor cat. It ended up curing all of his behavioral problems and totally chilled him out and we've been buds ever since. After being cooped up all of his previous life, the yard must have seemed like the entire universe because he never leaves it. Son has since moved on and yet the cat remains, as if it is mine. A rather demanding hole in the ground that I pour food into constantly.

Pedro Alvarado

Pedro Alvarado

Full Audioholic
My son got an "indoor" cat and then left to go visit his mom in Spain for a month. I would come home and the thing would be howling to come out of his room. I also had an 80+ pound red nosed pit bull at the time, that I inherited, that had a bad reputation with cats. I decided I was going to let the cat out and these two were going to be friends no matter what. That part was ok. They ended up being pals. What wasn't ok was, the first thing the cat did was took a dump on my then new sofa.

He instantly became an outdoor cat. It ended up curing all of his behavioral problems and totally chilled him out and we've been buds ever since. After being cooped up all of his previous life, the yard must have seemed like the entire universe because he never leaves it. Son has since moved on and yet the cat remains, as if it is mine. A rather demanding hole in the ground that I pour food into constantly.
cool story bro...

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
SWMBO: You're making dinner tonight? It smells delicious. What is it?
You: Stew
SWMBO: Where's the cat?
Problem solved.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis