Def tech subwoofer (supercube) amplifier repair

Steelersfan

Steelersfan

Enthusiast
Hey guys, i have a def tech super cube 3 that needs an amp repair. I hear this is a common issue. Has anyone repaired one b4? Is it a common part on the amp board that fails? Def Tech no longer carries the plate amps. Would like to repair to sell. Thx

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
First a suggestion: edit the thread title to reflect your question better... “DefTech sub replacement amp help” :)

(DefTech subs always have issues!) :p

There was a very recent thread where somebody suggested such a fix for some model of DT Sub... (IIRC it was using a plate amp available through PE) I suspect the cost of repair will be worth more than the value of a repaired sub, though.
I only saw the thread because I follow one of the respondents.

K

kini

Full Audioholic
Hey guys, i have a def tech super cube 3 that needs an amp repair. I hear this is a common issue. Has anyone repaired one b4? Is it a common part on the amp board that fails? Def Tech no longer carries the plate amps. Would like to repair to sell. Thx
That model is quite old. Electronics fail. AFAIK it's not a common issue. I've had a SC8000 for 7 years with daily use and no problems.
You're best bet would be to contact DT.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
First a suggestion: edit the thread title to reflect your question better... “DefTech sub replacement amp help” :)

(DefTech subs always have issues!) :p

There was a very recent thread where somebody suggested such a fix for some model of DT Sub... (IIRC it was using a plate amp available through PE) I suspect the cost of repair will be worth more than the value of a repaired sub, though.
I only saw the thread because I follow one of the respondents.
Yeah, my thinking is just get a brand new one on the cheap, like this one.

Not top of the line, but still a good sounding sub and it'll outperform that DefTech for probably close to what it would cost to fix it.

Steelersfan

Steelersfan

Enthusiast
That model is quite old. Electronics fail. AFAIK it's not a common issue. I've had a SC8000 for 7 years with daily use and no problems.
You're best bet would be to contact DT.
I am in talks with them. Cost to repair is around $200 and 8 weeks time... i just figured i would ask here if anyone has taken the amp apart and found what fails on these subs and made a DIY repair. I also have 2 supercube 2’s that are older and work with no issues. I bought this supercube 3 off Letgo site for $30, i took a chance.... one of my supercube 2s were purchased for $35 cause guy thought it was bad and i took it home and its been fine.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I am in talks with them. Cost to repair is around $200 and 8 weeks time... i just figured i would ask here if anyone has taken the amp apart and found what fails on these subs and made a DIY repair. I also have 2 supercube 2’s that are older and work with no issues. I bought this supercube 3 off Letgo site for $30, i took a chance.... one of my supercube 2s were purchased for $35 cause guy thought it was bad and i took it home and its been fine.
That sub I linked above is a better sub and is less than $200. You would also receive it a lot sooner than 8 weeks. I think you should just scrap it and get the better sub.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you have to ask about the repair I suspect you're not prepared for the analysis to get there. I did take a look on ebay to see what people ask for these and what they've sold for....and see a lot of drivers for sale even a coupla with apparently blown amps.....it was more than I expected for sure. Maybe if DT could help out with the amp it could be worth the exercise....to sell. It's life telling you it's time for better subs than these rather weaksauce subs !

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis