Def Tech Set-up Options

M

Mr. Goodbar

Audiophyte
I created a post about Def Tech's vs. Paradigm's and got a lot of good feedback about the two. I auditioned both of them and tended to agree with what most people said. The Paradigm's are great for accuracy in music and the Def Tech's give an incredible soundstage. Since I will be using them for primarily home theater movie watching and I like the sound I get from the Bi-polar arrangement, I think I am going to go with the Def Tech's.

My issue now is trying to determine which type of set-up to go with. As I said before, my basement is an "L" shape (30'x20') with the listening area (12'x15') at the corner of the "L". I have a 7' drop panel ceiling and insulated wood panel walls.

My question now is, should I go with BP7006's with the built in subs, or should I go with something like the BP8's and get a separate dedicated sub (i.e.-Velodyne or Supercube)? I also plan on using a Mythos 3 or 7 for the Center and BP2X's for the two rears.

If anyone has any other suggestions on this or other Def Tech configurations that will still give me great performance and keep me below $2000, please let me know. I would appreciate it.

MacManNM

MacManNM

Banned
If you are really going to buy that, then get a seperate sub. With the towers having the sub in them you may well run into placement issues. That is the real drawback with that design.

Please go listen to the klipsch reference and the Def tech side by side, ultamite electronics has them both. If you audition them side by side, you may well change your mind!

M

MAX661

Audioholic
I dont know why people try to sway you from your choice, but I would go with the BP7006 if I was you. They have better cross-overs and better mid-range and tweeters. The built in subs are not at all hard to place if you have an hour or so. my suggestion would be atleast 13'' from the back wall and try 2' from the side walls out first.

My audio calibrator showed me the schematics of my rooms peaks and nulls on his computer, and told me where I should place my sub {trinity} for optimal response without bass cancelation. The combo works amazingly.

Funny thing is speakers are very personal, I think the Def techs stomp all over the klipsch reference line of speakers, and yes I have heard them in the same store but that is only my opinion. Others with disagree.

AVRat

AVRat

Audioholic Ninja
My preference would be the BP8s w/ separate sub. Is there a size limitation for the sub? Minimally, you’ll need something with a 10” driver and good amp for visceral impact. The SC I/II will probably break the bank. The ProSub 100/200 may not be enough, but I would definitely give them a listen if possible. To get what you need from a Velodyne may also be a budget buster. Is there a reason for the Mythos center as opposed to something like the ProCenter C2?

M

MAX661

Audioholic
go over to hometheaterspot.com there is a def tech section, you will find that alot of people run the BP series with additional subs and acheive great results. They will be able to answer any of your questions.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis