J

jbichsel

Audiophyte
Hey,
I'm new to this board but from reading, it sounds like there are quite a few knowledgeable folks here, so I'm going to request some info. Thanks in advance.

We are building a new log home on a basement. We are living in it while we finish the inside ourselves. It was designed with a HT in mind, so we have a room in the basement specifically for HT.

Room is 23' x 14' x 9'(ceiling). We will have 2 rows of 3-seat theater recliners with the second row 10-12" above first row.

What I currently have for this room is:

Yamaha RX-V800 (has to do for a few more years)
Bose 301 (1 pair)
Dish Network 811 (HD) receiver

What I need:

More speakers! (I like towers, but can't break the bank. We heard several models of B&W, but as I'm not on Bill Gates' Christmas list.....)
I'm not opposed to having the 301's elsewhere in the house, but would like to have 6.1-7.1 setup. I had this in our last house using the 301's as side-surround and it worked well.

Like I said, money is an issue so I would like to keep the speaker setup under $1,500. Am I crazy?

Projector for 100-120" screen (Dwin Transvision 4 is leading thus far with Optoma H78 a close second).
DVD (old one is having issues, I'm looking for progressive scan, upscaling)

I appreciate any input.

Jerry

K

korgoth

Full Audioholic
you could go with axiom, or BIC.. a lot of people like both these for speakers on a budget, Axioms are a little more pricey though.

Id probobly buy the Axiom m22ti's. They are bookshelf speakers, but are commonly used as mains while paired with a sub.
then quadpole axiom qs4's as your side surrounds. they add a lot to your soundstage for ht.
the bose 301's could be used as your rear surrounds.
then you could get an axiom vp100 channel which all adds up to about $1120

you can get factory seconds for a discounted price, which would cut about 150 off of that. The seconds have tiny scratches or cosmetic blemishes, they are still under warranty and work perfect. More often than not, you will not even find the blemish that made them a second. so that would leave you about 5-600 for a sub. You have a prety large room, so you probobly want to spend at least that on a sub, svs and hsu are popular on this forum.

you could probobly go with bic for a little cheaper then have 6-700 for a nice sub. maybe the SVS-pb12-isd/v or the HSU VTF-3, or you could just wait off on a sub until you can afford an SVS plus, i hear is a pretty significant quality increase over the isd's. Then you could upgrade your speakers to the qs8's and the vp150. That would probobly be my route. Actually that is my route.

Last edited:
jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
Hmm, with that receiver I would be looking toward fairly efficient speakers. Have you ever listened to Klipsch, specifically the reference series? If you liked these speakers, the BIC Acoustechs are similar sounding. For $1500 you could get a 5-speaker setup with the Acoustechs and have enough money left over for a decent Hsu sub (or something in the same pricerange).

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis