Decided to go Canton

K

kxthor

Junior Audioholic
I'm attaching a picture of the floor plan of my room. The reason in doing so is I'm curious if the Canton Vento 896 would do well or if the room is to small. The speakers/tv will be going on the wall in between the door and the closet. The other option is the reference 9.2 but by the time you buy stands these are not that much more.

What are your thoughts? Thanks everyone.

Attachments

ematthews

ematthews

Audioholic General
I have three sets of Canton's and love all of them. The Reference 9.2 are the best speakers I have ever had. Not only is the low end very robust but the upper level is unmatched from my other speakers. Kef LS50. Focal Aria 926. Just love them... I also own a pair of their A45 towers and still think the Ref 9.2 sound better.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
@kxthor
the only thing I've heard towards your concern is that towers can require a little space for the drivers to integrate properly. A lot of times, you see numbers like 2 or 3 meters.
A great example is the controversy over measurements of the Klipsch 8000... I think Danny Ritchie measures nearfield, and Shady measured out at 2m... something like that, and those nearfield measurements don't accurately show the speakers real world performance. That Danny built a mod for the XO off those measurements is also suspect since we don't know how that mod will perform at proper distance for a tower like that...
I digress...
How fara from the speakers do you expect to be?
If you've got 6-7' from your ears to the drivers, I would say that is fine for a minimum. I would not recommend being closer than that. Getting out to 9' would be better... but as you mention the room is small, and you don't want your back up on the rear wall if you can avoid it: that has its own acoustic pitfalls! :)

K

kxthor

Junior Audioholic
I have three sets of Canton's and love all of them. The Reference 9.2 are the best speakers I have ever had. Not only is the low end very robust but the upper level is unmatched from my other speakers. Kef LS50. Focal Aria 926. Just love them... I also own a pair of their A45 towers and still think the Ref 9.2 sound better.
Thanks for responding although that didn't make my decision any easier lol.

K

kxthor

Junior Audioholic
@kxthor
the only thing I've heard towards your concern is that towers can require a little space for the drivers to integrate properly. A lot of times, you see numbers like 2 or 3 meters.
A great example is the controversy over measurements of the Klipsch 8000... I think Danny Ritchie measures nearfield, and Shady measured out at 2m... something like that, and those nearfield measurements don't accurately show the speakers real world performance. That Danny built a mod for the XO off those measurements is also suspect since we don't know how that mod will perform at proper distance for a tower like that...
I digress...
How fara from the speakers do you expect to be?
If you've got 6-7' from your ears to the drivers, I would say that is fine for a minimum. I would not recommend being closer than that. Getting out to 9' would be better... but as you mention the room is small, and you don't want your back up on the rear wall if you can avoid it: that has its own acoustic pitfalls! :)
Thanks for the great response. I would probably be sitting 5 to 8 feet from the speakers. If they are a foot from the wall and then a foot deep, that would put them 2 foot in the room. I plan on sitting 7 or so foot from the wall. So right on the verge. Maybe the 9.2 are the better option. I wonder if Kurt @KEW can help? Thanks again sir.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I commonly hear that distance from the wall can be as little as twice the port diameter. For some reason, I am thinking the cantons port is downfiring? Dunno how that affects that metric. Regardless, I think 12" from wall is good, but you could try it closer, no less than 6."
More than anything, I would try to make certain your ears are 1/5 the depth of the room from the back wall. In that 12' space, I would sit about 2.5' (30") from the back wall.
Regarding seating and speaker distance, I am a proponent for an Isosceles Triangle where you are slightly further away than the distance-on-center between the two speakers. I know well that others insist on an Equilateral Triangle.
For me, the kicker is that engineers sit like that in an Equilateral set up because it emphasizes the Stereo Separation. This is an absolute necessity when producing and mixing a recording. When you step back from that Equilateral arrangement, you allow the stereo image to blend into a more complete whole.
Following that, my situation in an 11x15' room is that my speakers are ~6' apart on center, I sit about 7' back. The Terminus (ports) are 13 and 15" off the front wall and each speaker is ~30" from the side walls. My ears are about 4.5' off the back wall.
This is not to say you MUST follow my setup advice, rather to give you a different view of the possibilities. I do run, currently, 7 channels, hence why I need extra space behind me. If I were just pursuing Stereo listening, I would move back another 1.5'. ;)

K

kxthor

Junior Audioholic
I commonly hear that distance from the wall can be as little as twice the port diameter. For some reason, I am thinking the cantons port is downfiring? Dunno how that affects that metric. Regardless, I think 12" from wall is good, but you could try it closer, no less than 6."
More than anything, I would try to make certain your ears are 1/5 the depth of the room from the back wall. In that 12' space, I would sit about 2.5' (30") from the back wall.
Regarding seating and speaker distance, I am a proponent for an Isosceles Triangle where you are slightly further away than the distance-on-center between the two speakers. I know well that others insist on an Equilateral Triangle.
For me, the kicker is that engineers sit like that in an Equilateral set up because it emphasizes the Stereo Separation. This is an absolute necessity when producing and mixing a recording. When you step back from that Equilateral arrangement, you allow the stereo image to blend into a more complete whole.
Following that, my situation in an 11x15' room is that my speakers are ~6' apart on center, I sit about 7' back. The Terminus (ports) are 13 and 15" off the front wall and each speaker is ~30" from the side walls. My ears are about 4.5' off the back wall.
This is not to say you MUST follow my setup advice, rather to give you a different view of the possibilities. I do run, currently, 7 channels, hence why I need extra space behind me. If I were just pursuing Stereo listening, I would move back another 1.5'. ;)
I'm trying to take all the information in, there is just alot of it between this thread and everything else that I have read. Yes, these Cantons are downfiring, I wonder if that means they can be closer to the wall than the bookshelves (with the rear firing port,?) but do the bookshelves image closer to the speaker? like could I sit 5 foot from the bookshelves and be ok? I'm buying a TV for that room too, and was trying to keep it in the 4k 55" range so my budget did not have to be as large. While watching movies, and listening to music I can sit a little farther back and really relax and listen. On the other hand, while gaming I like to sit a little closer, more upright and more engaged. To start out with, if I get towers they will be 2.0, but if I do bookshelves I'll do 2.1, later on I'll extend to 5.1 or so.

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
They can be closer to the Wall. Within 12" if thats your only option

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Congrats you made a wise choice. Can’t wait to see them setup.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
I'm attaching a picture of the floor plan of my room. The reason in doing so is I'm curious if the Canton Vento 896 would do well or if the room is to small. The speakers/tv will be going on the wall in between the door and the closet. The other option is the reference 9.2 but by the time you buy stands these are not that much more.

What are your thoughts? Thanks everyone.
The Vento 896 will provide a bigger sound than reference 9.2. But they will also be $2399 instead of $1499. You can buy 28" stands for $120. That's almost an $800 difference. You could almost buy an HSU VTF-3 MK5 HP sub with the reference 9.2 for the same price.

Either configuration is going to sound good. I run a set of Vento Reference 9.2's in my office now about 7' away and they sound great. I imagine the Vento 896 will have a noticeably fuller sound than the bookshelves.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis