Decided on receiver, seeking advise on speaker

M

muzman

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>I am in the planning stages of my first HT/music system (aka, a newbie). Also with a limited budget but wanted to buy the best receiver I could afford. So, I decided on buying Harman/Kardon AVR7200 7.1 channel model (100W x 7, 125W x 2 ch) which I found on sale for $800. I'm pretty sure, I'll buy that.

Now I am looking for speakers. I read a good review on Audiophile magazine about Infinity Primus series (entry level). The reviewer commented on it saying it sounded like $1000-a-pair speaker (weak on lower freq. but I'll use a sub anyway).

Primus 150 bookshelf is $179/pair which fits in my budget. But it's power rating is 100W. What do you think? Is it a good (at these price levels) match for the receiver, or should I go with a higher power rated speaker? (Infinity Primus 250 floorstanding speakers are rated upto 150W).

Also, what should I use as surround speakers. The same bookshelf works as a surround, or can I go with different brand/size? I have no clue.

Thanks.</font>

M

muzman

Audiophyte
<font color='#000000'>Correction: The magazine the Infinity Primus 150 review appeared was &quot;Stereophile&quot; April 2004 issue.</font>

G

<font color='#000000'>I bought a pair of 150s aroung the end of January. I thought they were pretty good, but they keep getting better. &nbsp;I want to buy 2 more to replace a pair of antiques, but now I can't decide to get, 2 more 150s, or 160s. &nbsp;

Mommawon't let me have the 250s or 360s</font>

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>If $180 is about your budget, I would highly recommend looking at Paradigm Atoms and Titans and if you can stretch the budget a bit NHT SB1s and Energy C1s (both at $300). &nbsp;The second two will outperform the Infinity and Paradigm although for the price, those are two excellent choices.</font>

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis