decent/ good value system?

E

expensivedust

Audiophyte
Hi, I'm an "audiophyte" and just completed an i core build computer for a friend with a HT Omega Claro Plus+ sound card (his parents paid as a graduation gift). He wants to pair it with a home theater system that will mainly be used for music and since I've had tons of free time at work recently, I told him I would take a look. In the short run (the past two days), Craigslist proved to be a bust as too many people overvalued their goods so we’re thinking new. I spent the past two days reading up on the happenings of the audio world and have come up with this setup:

receiver: Yamaha RX-V465 ($260)
speakers: 2x Behringer B2030P, 4 total ($262)
sub: HSU STF-1 ($250) or craigslist M&K VX-7 MK II ($200)

It’s for his room which is a decent size, maybe 20ft by 10ft (or the other way around, I don't know what's customary), and I’m thinking a 3.1 setup is in order, with 1 speaker left over so that when his bank account finally recovers he can buy a center channel and rock out to with a 5.1. As one of his roommates, I stand to gain directly from his having the best possible system so what do you guys think? Any other models I should be looking into? He's budgeting $600 but knowing how much he loves music, I’m confident I can get him to go $800 and maybe even a little more. Thanks for any input!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis