Debating whether upgrading to a 2.0/1 receiver or lower

D

Daniel_Elmaleh

Audioholic Intern
Hi everyone!

I have a bit of a struggling with my self, hoped you might help.

I currently have a 5.1 setup using an old avr via optical (toslink only avr).

My main use is viewing DD content through my smart TV on netflix/amazon prime.
While I am very pleased with my setup, even though it's just plain DD, I do want to upgrade to enhance my TV-avr connectivity - volume control and so on.

Now, thinking about the future, say I'll buy an HDR streamer to view HDR content, will I'll be able to do with a 1.4 hdmi avr? Are there streamers with 2 hdmi outputs? Will arc be able to pass dolby true hd in the future?

That being said, I'd rather invest my budget buying a decent "old" avr such as the rx-a2020/3020 instead of a new lower end model right?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Daniel

mazersteven

mazersteven

Audioholic Warlord
Here's the newer receiver at a lower end price. Don't know if it has the features you're exactly looking for but it's an outstanding unit7

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Here's the newer receiver at a lower end price. Don't know if it has the features you're exactly looking for but it's an outstanding unit7

Really makes you wonder how many of the 3600's Denon put in the pipeline before they released the 3700. It seems like this is becoming the new norm in marketing, which is not at all a bad thing. Smart AVR buyers will wait until the fall when they can buy last year's model for a great price!
Each year brings an impressively long list of "improvements/features", but for the most part, they turn out to be "tripe"!

Last edited:
V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Really makes you winder how many of the 3600's Denon put in the pipeline before they released the 3700. It seems like this is becoming the new norm in marketing, which is not at all a bad thing. Smart AVR buyers will wait until the fall when they can buy last year's model for a great price!
Each year brings an impressively long list of "improvements/features", but for the most part, they turn out to be "tripe"!
That $799 price is an KILLER value. Especiall,y when the HDMI chipset for 8K is messed up anyway! lol

If I was buying a new receiver now the Denon 3600 would be my 1st choice at $799. It's a steal!

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Thinking Denon 4500 or Yamaha 2080 if it’s for the long haul and 4K is all you need.

If you have small speakers and a decent sub you can get away with the lower models.

I would stay away from anything HDMI2.1 for the next 6mo. Looks like a big recall for the Panasonic chips in Denon and Marantz and Yamaha is coming.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
The 4500 is a year older, measures worse and runs hotter. That's how it beats out the Denon 3600. :D

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Just curious what it is about the 4500 that leads you to recommend it over the 3600?
The 3600 has the Dolby height virtualization, so it as a consequence meant Denon lost the ability to use center spread on/off with Dolby DSU upmixer. I really like that feature on my Yamaha.

I guess it’s not a big deal to everyone.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
The 3600 has the Dolby height virtualization, so it as a consequence meant Denon lost the ability to use center spread on/off with Dolby DSU upmixer. I really like that feature on my Yamaha.

I guess it’s not a big deal to everyone.
Thanks, I figured you had done your homework and had your reasons.
Seems like I remember Gene cursing the world when that change was made. I am seriously less than 5% HT and usually don't have any center connected, LOL!

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
If anyone wants to send me a new 3600 from Crutchfield I'll happily send them my Denon 4500 when it comes back from PanurgyOEM. ;)

S

snakeeyes

Audioholic Ninja
Thanks, I figured you had done your homework and had your reasons.
Seems like I remember Gene cursing the world when that change was made. I am seriously less than 5% HT and usually don't have any center connected, LOL!
Yep Gene did mention some of the Denons can save 2 configurations and have one config with the center level minus 8dB, as a work around. Not sure if that’s available on 3600 though and seems like a hassle.

V

VMPS-TIII

Audioholic General
Yep Gene did mention some of the Denons can save 2 configurations and have one config with the center level minus 8dB, as a work around. Not sure if that’s available on 3600 though and seems like a hassle.
The 3700, 4700 and 6700 have two configuration presets. But who needs it. I can save 24+ configuration settings with my iPad and the $20 Audyssey EQ app.

S

Sax-Fan

Junior Audioholic
I wanted to learn more about this. I assume this is the article?

AcuDefTechGuy

AcuDefTechGuy

Audioholic Jedi
Hi everyone!

While I am very pleased with my setup, even though it's just plain DD, I do want to upgrade to enhance my TV-avr connectivity - volume control and so on.

Now, thinking about the future, say I'll buy an HDR streamer to view HDR content, will I'll be able to do with a 1.4 hdmi avr? Are there streamers with 2 hdmi outputs? Will arc be able to pass dolby true hd in the future?

That being said, I'd rather invest my budget buying a decent "old" avr such as the rx-a2020/3020 instead of a new lower end model right?

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Daniel
I would absolutely get a Yamaha flagship model.

But for 4K HDR, I think you do need HDMI 2.0a, which started with the RX-A3050.

The A3040 is HDMI 2.0 4K Atmos.
The A3030 is HDMI 1.4a 4K TrueHD.

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hi everyone!

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Daniel
I would look at a 2.0 receiver. Imo it’s future proof enough for a long time. From what I know of 2.1, it’s mostly academic. Unless you’re a hardcore gamer, or care about 8k. To me, 8k is a stupid as cable elevators, but dynamic HDR looks really good. Also, who knows when any 8k sources will be available.

D

Daniel_Elmaleh

Audioholic Intern
Hi guys,
Thanks for the help.

I am not from the US, new electronic equipment is highly expensive in my country, therefore I'm aiming for the 2nd hand market.

2.0 hdmi receivers are also of a higher price at the 2nd hand market. That's why I was asking whether there's getting around the 2.0 hdmi issue?

I'm not a gamer, I only use the TV as a source for movies/music through streaming/external HDD.
My sole concern is if I'd like to use an external streamer in the future? is there a solid reason to buy one?
Seems like the only reason to use if you want to dolby truehd content, am I wrong?

Sorry for convoluted post, hoping I'm being understood.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Really makes you wonder how many of the 3600's Denon put in the pipeline before they released the 3700. It seems like this is becoming the new norm in marketing, which is not at all a bad thing. Smart AVR buyers will wait until the fall when they can buy last year's model for a great price!
I agree!

I got my 3500 in Dec 2019 for $586 to my door.

And, 4400 in Nov 2018 for $899 to my door.

Those are the exact types of prices that I had been biding my time to see!

Never pay full MSRP for anything ;)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis