DCM TP160S Bookshelf Speaker Deals

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
Dang what a great haul. I have been curious about the TFE, but look too large and bulky looking. I can't wait till you post some pics. I've been enjoying the TP so much. Decent soundstage on some recordings. The highs seemed to have tamed with every play.
17 1/2" H x 8" W x 16" D

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Every single time I read your post, I hear the voice of H Jon Benjamin in my head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kew has a great way of articulating things. I like his posts.

Now I gotta go look up H Jon Benjamin...

*Edit: Oh! Archer! Ha ha!

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I read that about the TFE200, was thinking that the TFE100 might be better in that regard; however, it really is a moot point as I would ultimately expect to cross these to a sub at around 80Hz.
Tower or not, you can only expect so much out of a 6.5" driver!
I suspect DCM opted for a bit of extra "weight of bass" (in the range they can produce it) in order to compensate for the "depth of bass" that is physically impossible with smaller drivers (without any crazy special porting configuration).
Just don't put baby in the corner!

zieglj01

zieglj01

Audioholic Spartan
I just measured the TP they are 15 inches tall. If I had the money I'd check them TFE out. In pics they look super wide.
What ruler are you using -- the TP160S should be 13 inches tall

The TFE60

1575591738682.png

1575591686549.png

kystorm

kystorm

Audioholic
Yup, one good clue is the "magnetic shielding". That was needed back in the day when CRT was the TV technology, but shielding really isn't much of a consideration for 2019 due to newer TV tech.

Here is the thing.....

And, I bet that @zieglj01 would agree.

All this buzz about the TP160......I think the real gem here may be the TFE60!

Granted, the TFE60 is a LARGE bookshelf that is kind of awkwardly deep (DCM actually calls it a mini-tower), it isn't as purdy as the TP line cherry finish, and it is more expensive. And, granted I have spent more time listening to the TP line.

BUT......the little time that I have spent with the TFE60 has kind of indicated that these may be something special. At the very least, the little time that I have spent on them tells me that I need to spend more time on them!

Just my impressions, but the TP line seems more like the consumer/home grade product, while the TFE line feels and sounds more like the professional theater and/or professional mixing studio line.

My L/C/R TFE purchase was an impulse buy, the seller had made a special offer since I had it on my ebay watch list. I don't even really know where/how I will find a permanent home for them, but I get the feeling I'm gonna make them work somewhere/somehow. It would be a shame to put such nice speakers on garage duty.....but that may be where they go.
I never looked at the measurements on the tfe's, but dang they are big! Way bigger than what I need anyways..... The do kind of have that high end look, like a studio monitor or something like you mentioned. Goodluck making them work somewhere some how

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Kew has a great way of articulating things. I like his posts.

Now I gotta go look up H Jon Benjamin...

*Edit: Oh! Archer! Ha ha!
He also is the voice of Bob from Bob's Burgers!

afterlife2

afterlife2

Audioholic Warlord
Just got home and listening to the Bonnie Raitt Collection sounds great. All that's missing is some wine, but got something else to make my eyes glisten. Rahaha.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
Is the black woofer active or just for show? Haha gotta try some Idol on my DCM.
It is a 3-way tower. The yellow is the mid and the black is the woofer (even though both are 6.5" drivers).
This design always intrigues me because it seems like it would be better to use a 4.5" (for example) mid.
I don't know if they do that to avoid having to design/inventory an additional driver or not, but it doesn't seem to handicap these speakers!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis