Dayton Audio UM12-22 12" Ultimax DVC Subwoofer

highfigh

highfigh

Seriously, I have no life.
Haven't had issue with power. In this room, most subs are pretty much at idle with the type music I listen to. No movies or other super effects. Just music and mostly bass guitar and some synth stuff. In the sealed cabinets I am using for the RSS315s, IIRC, they are only tuned to roughly the mid 30hz range. It causes me to wonder if most people are aware just how low 30hz actually is with regard to normal music. I hear stuff into the 20s and it seems that these subs naturally roll off like the bass in the music I listen to typically does.
Depending on the instrument, what we hear isn't even close to 20Hz- the low E on a bass guitar is tuned to 41.2Hz (equal-tempered, normally accepted tuning) but what we hear when someone picks or plucks that string is the first harmonic, at twice that frequency. The best way to produce the fundamental is to pluck the string at 1/2 of its length, or the 12th fret position.

highfigh

highfigh

I am designated chef for all occasions. This year I handed the main course tasks to my son and my nephew. I am known around this hood for my baking. Taught myself, along with help from my mother growing up because I always wanted my sons to have better than what can be bought. For their teenage years, all the neighborhood kids would end up here for pie. Now they are all in their 30s and they still talk about it. I make everything from scratch.

Homemade apple, and sweet potato pie from scratch. Funny that the SP pie ends up kicking the pumpkin to the curb every year. Mine ends up gone, and I end up with whole pumpkin pie leftover that was never touched. Either way, chef'ng and the constant cleanup is like a real job so I applaud you if you are still able to do a full spread. I cooked for two days and up until 4pm on TG day, and then the next two reusing the leftovers to feed my guests.

Homemade pfeffernusse cookies. Most people thought they would not like these. They disappeared quick. All fresh and natural ingredients are the key, as with everything else. You just don't see these cookies made here in FL. much.
Can you PM a slice of pie and some of the Pfeffernusse? I haven't had those in a long time.

highfigh

highfigh

I have moved a lot of snow already. Two were wet and the wrong sort of snow. The others I could blow. The two wet ones I had to use the tractor blower as a blade and doze it. Today we have pure powder coming down.

I still have my JD 214 I bought in 1981, it was built in Wisconsin Jan 1981. The engine is a single cylinder 14 HP Kohler, with a cast iron block and it is an L-head.

I have pulled through 4 gallons of gas already this season. Part of the reason for that, is that the neighbors expect free snow service! I have been pining for my old JD Model A and its 8' snow bucket, but obviously I could not keep it here. It was bought by a local farmer with a small farm, and he plowed a field with it the day after he bought it at auction.
I watched the weather last night and they said we shouldn't get a lot of snow, but it's supposed to be cold. OK, that happens just about every year, but if you listen to them, I think they're making people worry about it too much. OTOH, people drive on snow as if it's the first time, every yer an all through Winter. We were dumped on in 2011 and they're calling the upcoming storm as 'generational'.

I don't have an extremely long driveway, but if the snow is wet & heavy, 105' is long enough. Fortunately, I have a paddle-type blower that a customer gave me (I had to replace the carb, which was about $42) and a 26" two stage blower, which was unable to finish the job two years ago, so I had to finish the apron where the city's plows always park a large berm of ice & snow after everyone is finished and it often freezes before we can go out to remove it. Woo hoo......

I had never serviced much of the large blower (lube, make sure the moving parts are free and not rusted from salt, etc), but I was surprised by some of the videos on YouTube- they showed that critters like to build their nests in these, but it showed the insides, how it works and what to do when....

I opened mine and the photo shows what I found. It had seemed to be losing its grip and the wet slop was impossible to remove, but the small blower does a good job with that.

Do you think I have needed to use it since cleaning? Nah.

Attachments

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
I watched the weather last night and they said we shouldn't get a lot of snow, but it's supposed to be cold. OK, that happens just about every year, but if you listen to them, I think they're making people worry about it too much. OTOH, people drive on snow as if it's the first time, every yer an all through Winter. We were dumped on in 2011 and they're calling the upcoming storm as 'generational'.

I don't have an extremely long driveway, but if the snow is wet & heavy, 105' is long enough. Fortunately, I have a paddle-type blower that a customer gave me (I had to replace the carb, which was about $42) and a 26" two stage blower, which was unable to finish the job two years ago, so I had to finish the apron where the city's plows always park a large berm of ice & snow after everyone is finished and it often freezes before we can go out to remove it. Woo hoo......

I had never serviced much of the large blower (lube, make sure the moving parts are free and not rusted from salt, etc), but I was surprised by some of the videos on YouTube- they showed that critters like to build their nests in these, but it showed the insides, how it works and what to do when....

I opened mine and the photo shows what I found. It had seemed to be losing its grip and the wet slop was impossible to remove, but the small blower does a good job with that.

Do you think I have needed to use it since cleaning? Nah.
If we were meant to live there, we would have evolved with fur.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Can you PM a slice of pie and some of the Pfeffernusse? I haven't had those in a long time.
Been making pies for nearly 40 years by now. Used to do a 10" pot pie with the Thanksgiving leftovers and nobody was ever late for dinner here.

I used to call my sons from work and say; "I can either wash dishes, or cook dinner." I'd come home to everything clean.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

So then, what would you do with it if it were yours (other than sell it) if you wanted to make something worthy with it?

I have a sealed box for it already, perhaps I should try it with some EQ this time. The two rss315HF-4 I am currently using are in sealed cabinet design per Zaph audio archive page, and adjusted for absence of the plate amps and they sound pretty darn good.
Here are your alignments. For the sealed alignments it requires 12 db. per octave boost below 40 Hz, and a high pass filter 12 db. per octave at 25Hz. I would make the box 2 cu.ft to allow for driver volume and bracing.

It also makes a good vented driver, and even with an optimal alignment F3 is a little below Fs at 17 Hz. You need to add driver volume, bracing and port volume to total volume.

This is a very good driver, and I would make use of it with a correct alignment. I have not done a TL model yet but I will.

Attachments

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Here are your alignments. For the sealed alignments it requires 12 db. per octave boost below 40 Hz, and a high pass filter 12 db. per octave at 25Hz. I would make the box 2 cu.ft to allow for driver volume and bracing.

It also makes a good vented driver, and even with an optimal alignment F3 is a little below Fs at 17 Hz. You need to add driver volume, bracing and port volume to total volume.

This is a very good driver, and I would make use of it with a correct alignment. I have not done a TL model yet but I will.
This is all good to know and is exactly the kind of side research I look for when surfing drivers and other parts. I think this is a good addition to this forum's resources, as well. Thank you for taking the time to do this.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

This is all good to know and is exactly the kind of side research I look for when surfing drivers and other parts. I think this is a good addition to this forum's resources, as well. Thank you for taking the time to do this.
Hopefully, I can find time today to do a TL model. They are a little more work. I had not modelled that driver before, but wish I had. It may prove to be the most useful driver of the bunch in the Ultimax line.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Hopefully, I can find time today to do a TL model. They are a little more work. I had not modelled that driver before, but wish I had. It may prove to be the most useful driver of the bunch in the Ultimax line.
Looking forward to see what you come up with. I need to freshen up on the volume calculation and driver displacement and stuff so that I remember to include it in calculations. I have forgotten to do that before.

highfigh

highfigh

As I posted WRT EQ, the frequencies above 40HZ/below the LP upper limit could be reduced, then increase the level from the sub's amplifier or use a mix of boost (< or = 40Hz) and cut (> 40Hz) to achieve flat without such a large boost. Less likely to run out of headroom.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
As I posted WRT EQ, the frequencies above 40HZ/below the LP upper limit could be reduced, then increase the level from the sub's amplifier or use a mix of boost (< or = 40Hz) and cut (> 40Hz) to achieve flat without such a large boost. Less likely to run out of headroom.
That's pretty much what I ended up using on my sealed RSS315HF-4 subs in 2 cu.ft. boxes, but they are crossed over low and HP rather high in sub-woofer terms to start with so it hasn't needed much of any boosting.

The midwoofers in my mains are 12" also and they sound too good to cut for music only. I tried the subs from 80hz on down but I got the best sound when using them just for lowest end. But they sound certainly better than the mid woofers on my smaller speakers and blend better with those crossed over significantly higher.

I'm kind of new to subs that haven't been thought out for me like those in the all-in-one desktop systems and the like. Never really needed them with a good 3-way.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Looking forward to see what you come up with. I need to freshen up on the volume calculation and driver displacement and stuff so that I remember to include it in calculations. I have forgotten to do that before.
That driver has too low a Vas to be a good TL driver. The pipe volume becomes too low versus length. I think they chose those parameters to keep box volumes in the low side.

Attachments

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
That driver has too low a Vas to be a good TL driver. The pipe volume becomes too low versus length. I think they chose those parameters to keep box volumes in the low side.
I am going to try your vented example, I think. Just to weigh against my sealed subs to what the differences are. Maybe I'll use it to put together a system for my son's game setup or for all I know hw may go for a nice 2.1 for music. If I like what I hear, I'll get a second. Although, the RSS315HF-4 are not lacking by any means. A pair of those sealed are formidable in my space.

Thanks for the help and Merry Christmas.

Verdinut

Verdinut

Audioholic Spartan
I am going to try your vented example, I think. Just to weigh against my sealed subs to what the differences are. Maybe I'll use it to put together a system for my son's game setup or for all I know hw may go for a nice 2.1 for music. If I like what I hear, I'll get a second. Although, the RSS315HF-4 are not lacking by any means. A pair of those sealed are formidable in my space.

Thanks for the help and Merry Christmas.
IMO, the RSS315HF sub is definitely a better musical sub. Dayton sells it as a Hi-Fi driver. Several years ago, I built a pair of enclosures using that RSS driver as the woofer in a 3-way system. The performance was really outstanding and well reviewed by some serious audiophiles:
DSCF0656.(2)jpg.jpg

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
IMO, the RSS315HF sub is definitely a better musical sub. Dayton sells it as a Hi-Fi driver. Several years ago, I built a pair of enclosures using that RSS driver as the woofer in a 3-way system. The performance was really outstanding and well reviewed by some serious audiophiles:
View attachment 59219
Yeah, they sound pretty amazing as is. I just have the Ultimax driver already so it's just something else audio to play with.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis