Dayton Audio OPAL1 Bookshelf Loudspeaker Review

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
OPAL1 pair5.jpg
When regarding finished consumer products, Dayton Audio has established a reputation for very low-cost and high-value audio products. Some favorites that we have reviewed were the MK442T floor-standing speakers and SUB-1500 subwoofer. For many years now, their B652 bookshelf speakers have been considered a classic in the category of extremely low-cost yet competently-designed loudspeakers. So when they asked if I would be interested in reviewing their latest creation, the OPAL1 bookshelf speakers, I agreed without asking any questions. I assumed they would be in line with what I had seen from their other speakers and subs, which is that they are highly budget-minded but decent products. Upon receiving and unpacking them, I was shocked to find some heavy-duty 20-pound bookshelf speakers with a gloss finish! These look and feel like luxury products − but from Dayton Audio!? It was at that point that I learned their pricing was $800 per pair. It looks like Dayton Audio is now aiming for the high end of audio. Read our full review of the OPAL1s to see how they approach this market segment.

READ: Dayton Audio OPAL1 Bookshelf Speaker Review

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
When regarding finished consumer products, Dayton Audio has established a reputation for very low-cost and high-value audio products. Some favorites that we have reviewed were the MK442T floor-standing speakers and SUB-1500 subwoofer. For many years now, their B652 bookshelf speakers have been considered a classic in the category of extremely low-cost yet competently-designed loudspeakers. So when they asked if I would be interested in reviewing their latest creation, the OPAL1 bookshelf speakers, I agreed without asking any questions. I assumed they would be in line with what I had seen from their other speakers and subs, which is that they are highly budget-minded but decent products. Upon receiving and unpacking them, I was shocked to find some heavy-duty 20-pound bookshelf speakers with a gloss finish! These look and feel like luxury products − but from Dayton Audio!? It was at that point that I learned their pricing was $800 per pair. It looks like Dayton Audio is now aiming for the high end of audio. Read our full review of the OPAL1s to see how they approach this market segment.

READ: Dayton Audio OPAL1 Bookshelf Speaker Review
Excellent review Mr Shady !
Maybe the next version will be more efficient.
They are gorgeous and of course remind me of my white RSL CG5's.

I saw these on line somewhere the other day and thought the same thing (Dayton? Seriously?)

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Thorough a review as possible to be sure. Nothing was missed.

What a long, crude way around the block with trying to get so much bass from such a small box, along with two radiators, only to arrive at such low sensitivity? Seems it would just end up pee-peeing allover the midrange. I have yet to find one speaker that uses these small subwoofers trying to fake large, that impresses me. To the contrary, they end up pretty much turning me off to small, 2-way speakers entirely.

I have also grown rather tired of the carbon fiber fixation that has found itself in everything supposedly SOTA. The motor structure is impressive, I suppose, but to me, looks more like a solution chasing a self-inflicted problem.

I don't mean to poo allover these products and I am sure it will satisfy certain audiences, but this trend just seems counterintuitive, an appeasement for those who are allergic to mass. I tried it. I figured that technology had figured out a way to cheat physics efficiently somehow but that's what it really amounts to. . .a cheat. Yet the elephant in the room here ends up being a fat-a$$ amplifier showing the obvious of there being no free lunch, regardless. You're going to pay, no matter what.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
As always @shadyJ , great write up. Thank you! Love that you did another Dayton product, too. Keep it up Team AH!

Q

quattro_98

Audioholic Intern
These were a lot of fun to check out at Axpona. The measurements here and elsewhere are quite consistent. They aren't perfectly linear and they have low sensitivity, but bass extension and output capability in a small room are amazing for the very compact size.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Thorough a review as possible to be sure. Nothing was missed.

What a long, crude way around the block with trying to get so much bass from such a small box, along with two radiators, only to arrive at such low sensitivity? Seems it would just end up pee-peeing allover the midrange. I have yet to find one speaker that uses these small subwoofers trying to fake large, that impresses me. To the contrary, they end up pretty much turning me off to small, 2-way speakers entirely.

I have also grown rather tired of the carbon fiber fixation that has found itself in everything supposedly SOTA. The motor structure is impressive, I suppose, but to me, looks more like a solution chasing a self-inflicted problem.

I don't mean to poo allover these products and I am sure it will satisfy certain audiences, but this trend just seems counterintuitive, an appeasement for those who are allergic to mass. I tried it. I figured that technology had figured out a way to cheat physics efficiently somehow but that's what it really amounts to. . .a cheat. Yet the elephant in the room here ends up being a fat-a$$ amplifier showing the obvious of there being no free lunch, regardless. You're going to pay, no matter what.
There is space for a speaker like these. Smalller rooms where you want subwoofer-esque bass but have no room for an actual sub. Not everyone has giant mcmansions out in the burbs, and urban living spaces tend to be a lot more cramped, so space is precious. Since these spaces are smaller, you don't need higher sensitivity for louder listening levels. It's well worth sacrificing the sensitivity for the lower bass extension in these situations.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
There is space for a speaker like these. Smalller rooms where you want subwoofer-esque bass but have no room for an actual sub. Not everyone has giant mcmansions out in the burbs, and urban living spaces tend to be a lot more cramped, so space is precious. Since these spaces are smaller, you don't need higher sensitivity for louder listening levels. It's well worth sacrificing the sensitivity for the lower bass extension in these situations.
Definitely a space for these....for every user that wants the walls brought down, there are fifty that wants to have something that sounds good at a lower level.
Fire them up and walk away....something few of us with bombastic systems ever do.

A good look at them here. (wish he had the white ones). Very nice !

Q

quattro_98

Audioholic Intern
Agree completely. Even those these have low sensitivity, these have decent power handling so you can get to high output levels. They’re not meant for a big home theater. In the hotel room at Axpona, they were plenty loud driven by a pair of bridged A400. A Hypex NC502MP amp gets you similar power in a much smaller package at lower cost.

M

MrBoat

Audioholic Ninja
Of course, if there wasn't already a hundred other designs aiming at the same criteria. Just saying why it isn't for me personally, and I live in a rather small (by today's standards) '60s home. How much room is a small 6", or even 8" separate powered sub going to take up? I'd personally rather have a small sub/sat system for that lower extension without all that LF in the same cabinet as the MF and HF, is all.

There are already enough people who will predictably applaud these designs. Anyone could do that. Not knocking it. Just per my personal target, and what I know has not worked for me, with these types of small, low sensitivity, 2-way speakers with tiny sub drivers being at the top of that list.

When I saw just the picture of the speakers/drivers on the review page, I knew what it was going to be, outside of the kick-in-the-nuts surprise that the low sensitivity rating brought. Beside that, the notion of 'how many ways can we torture a cabinet to make it all work,' seemed kind of kitchen sink-ish as well. Otherwise, it looks like Dayton needs to clear out some overstocked parts.

I'm just a different part of the market that is a little harder sell, is all. For this target, I would instead opt for some better/equally performing active speakers like the Kali, perhaps.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Excellent review Mr Shady !
Maybe the next version will be more efficient.
They are gorgeous and of course remind me of my white RSL CG5's.

I saw these on line somewhere the other day and thought the same thing (Dayton? Seriously?)
Those speakers have incredible bass extension for such small speakers. If you increase the sensitivity you would lose that bass extension.

isolar8001

isolar8001

Audioholic General
Those speakers have incredible bass extension for such small speakers. If you increase the sensitivity you would lose that bass extension.
Uh...yeah, we all know that.
(Maybe I didn't type enough...I hate typing.)
Never said it could be the same, but more efficient.

It's very possible they could make a different version with higher output and a little smoother response, at around the same or even lower price. (and still sell the the original)

That's a very nice looking solid speaker with top notch parts, and is well worth the money even with a version that has less bass.
The cabinet alone is better than most of what is seen at 800 dollars.

Last edited:
davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Spartan
Great review. These things have deeper bass than my Infinity Primus Towers. That said, they are way more inefficient as you pointed out. If I was in a smaller apt, didn't want a sub, and had an amp with sufficient power these would be an excellent choice. Thanks for the review.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis