P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Not sure where to post. I also know I'd have better luck on a different forum within reason, however I trust your opinions. What software have you good luck with recovering deleted files? I've tried a few and they all return with different results. I think the deeper scans on some are stronger than others.

D

Drunkpenguin

Audioholic Chief
I havent had to do this for years, but the one advice I can give you is to stop using that computer right now! Shut it down and don't turn it on again until you have the software decided upon and then run the undelete. The more you use the machine the more likely those files are to get written over and you will never be able to recover them. In fact if possible, you might be better off to pull that HD and put it into another computer that has the software installed. Let that machine run the scan for you since it won't need to use that drive for anything else.

P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Lucky for me it's not a main drive so I dont have to worry about writing over the data. I could just run a couple different programs and restore what comes up, the only downside is some of them take soo long to run, I'd prefer one solid proven program to be able to run deep scans. It doesnt happen often enough, in the end do I really care enough to drop any money on software. I've also had quite a few friends recently looking for recommendations as well.

Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
I think you will have your best luck with a Linux Live CD (even though they are called "Live CDs", they can be installed on other media, such as a thumb drive or another hard drive) with appropriate tools included.

The way this works is you boot to the Linux OS, it is run from the CD itself (not on your hard drive, no installation necessary) your OS never has a chance to change data on the drive. Then the tools are there to recover, basically, anything. Do some searching online to find something people like; data recovery is not for the faint of heart. The reason is the best, most reliable tools recover *everything* and then you're faced with the task of wading through everything to get what you really want. A typical modern OS may have hundreds of thousands of files on a drive.

Now, if you are seeking out specific file types it gets a little easier. There are tools that will only pull, say, .jpg extension files, for example. That makes is somewhat easier, although you will also find a lot of applications store internal files in various graphics formats (or text formats, or name it). So there will still be a lot of digging to get what you want.

Further down the recovery "ladder", if you will, are tools that are simple to use but may miss documents you want recovered. But the workload is much reduced after the files are recovered and it's time to get what you need back.

There are many possible options to consider, but for example there is:

Ubuntu Rescue Remix (Live CD)

DDrescue ...does a block by block copy from a failed drive. Runs on a Linux Live CD, like Ubuntu.Takes forever (days if your drive is in GBs) but gets everything that can be read (ie not copied over). Sometimes damaged drives still leave enough of a file to recover later.

SystemRescueCD
http://www.system-rescue-cd.org

There are Forensic Tools that will copy bit-by-bit from a drive, and all good forensic tools mount the drive as read-only, so that no data can be altered by, well, anything, from the OS to a poorly behaving application, including poorly behaving recovery software.

Thumb Drives ... not included when you buy your thumb drive, usually, but manufacturers of flash memory often have data recovery tools you can download and use. Don't be set aback if they say they are for cameras only. Check the major flash memory vendors' websites. I used one from SanDisk once, but do some checking and see what Verbatim, Lexar, etc have and don't overlook LaCie.

TestDisk - data recovery and hardware repair live CD.
https://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk

CAINE Linux (best to burn to DVD-ROM or thumb drive at least 3GB in size
CAINE is a full blown Foresnic Data tool ... basically the level that the cops and black hats use. Complex, but absolutely will recover data, even if other tools fail, including data that has been written over. Not particularly user friendly if you're not familiar with LInux, but much better than most.
https://www.caine-live.net

There are many, many others but in many cases it's paid software, that you don't really know if it works until after you part with your hard earned cash. Most are kind of lightweight, actually (may not recover what you want). But if you need a Windows app (or MacOS) that's probably what you will find offered. Linux tools are free.

It's been a while since I've had to recover from a failed drive but it definitely can be done. Last one I did was from a basic Atom-CPU laptop running Windows10, and he only wanted his music back. Got it all, put a new drive in his machine, and he was off to the races. Last summer sometime.

Last edited:
Johnny2Bad

Johnny2Bad

Audioholic Chief
Not sure if you need this, but it's super handy. Allows you to mount any HDD / SSD via USB. Power, adapters for SATA and IDE, 3.5 and 2.5. About $40, but on sale now for $30

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/U3NV2SPATA/

NewerTech also make a nicer looking one, you just pop the bare drive into the top and away you go. I have one but only use it for backups, so not sure if it would be ideal for recovery, but it works with 3.5 and 2.5 drives, USB 3.0. Not nearly as ugly or ungainly as the first solution (which definitely works for recovery, as that's what I use for that). If you choose the first solution, get a big freezer ziplock to store all the stuff in, or you will lose something.

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/NewerTech/U3S3HD/

Last edited:
P

pewternhrata

Audioholic Chief
Recovering from windows, any freeware seems to do a great job. Recovering a sd card from an android phone seems to be tricky. Most files are found under a quick search, deep scans are another story. Samsung galaxy phones are apparently notorious for 'failed' sd card reads these days. The phone will randomly stop recognizing an external card which is making it difficult to recover files off of.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Recovering from windows, any freeware seems to do a great job. Recovering a sd card from an android phone seems to be tricky. Most files are found under a quick search, deep scans are another story. Samsung galaxy phones are apparently notorious for 'failed' sd card reads these days. The phone will randomly stop recognizing an external card which is making it difficult to recover files off of.
I havent had any issues on the s7 and s8 but I can see problems occurring with regular removal due to the design of the card slot.

T

thomasleech

Audiophyte
It's important to note, however, that while these tools can be effective in some cases, they may not be able to recover all lost data. It's always best to have a backup plan in place to avoid the loss of important files and data.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
As a new member of this forum, I'm happy to chime in with some thoughts on your question. While I'm not an expert in data recovery, I have heard good things about some software options out there. One that comes to mind is Recuva, which is a free program that allows you to recover files that have been deleted from your computer. Another option that I've heard positive feedback on is EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard. In terms of managed service provider, I know that Northwest IT Services has a good reputation in that area. While I don't have personal experience working with them, I've heard positive feedback from others who have used their services. It's always helpful to do some research and read reviews before choosing a provider for your business needs.
EaseUS has some very good products, used and would recommend.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
Y'all know that this 5-year thread, right, and while OP is still sort of around, he hasn't logged in since last November?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis