Daft Punk Breaks Up

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I am currently working on building an arcade machine, wanting to get real trackball and lightgun capabilities. I have been missing out on the lightgun games, as they don't work with modern TVs, but there are finally reasonable solutions to make them work on modern TVs. And, I'm ready for some legit Golden Tee at home!

So, I'm still in the planning stages on this build, but as of now, I think my control panel is gonna use some DP / Tron artwork:

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I agree. Daft Punk sort of capped one corner of electronica as a whole. They were the right thing at the right time: almost zeitgeist, if one were to tinker with that definition.
Where they excelled IMO was in production and marketing. Their recordings do sound amazing, and they undoubtedly created a mystique that will likely follow them for the rest of their lives!
What I will give them is that they took the genre more mainstream than just about any other act. They certainly did their job well.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Hey, I'm going to concede on this point, b/c I am not really familiar with "italo". I'm not an old geezer either, LOL!

Seriously though, thanks for the feedback, I may have some homework to do. Just a quick browse of the genre, it looks like some of the roots of the American House Music scene, which I am very familiar with! Felix Da Houscat, Mark Farina, Derrick Carter, Miguel Migs, etc, seen them all live in the past.
You know italo, you just might not know that name for it. It was name for much of the European, mainly Italian, dance music in the late 70's and 80's. While disco became 'uncool' in the USA by the 1980s, it was still going strong in Europe as well as spin-off genres of disco, and the Italians were major producers, hence the name. Just do a youtube search for something like "Italo 80's mix" to get a taste of it. I would say that house music took that kind of music and stripped out a lot of 'cheese' like melodramatic vocals and acoustic instruments and took it into a more minimalist direction. That's cool you were able to see those house music icons live. I grew up in the Chicagoland area in the 1980s, so I remember hearing house music become popular back then. Chicago's pop/R&B music station (Chicagoans will know B96, "The Killer Bee") used to play house music sets every Saturday night. It was good stuff for a kid, and I pretty much went bananas hearing techno music for the first time in some of those sets back then.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
You know italo, you just might not know that name for it. It was name for much of the European, mainly Italian, dance music in the late 70's and 80's. While disco became 'uncool' in the USA by the 1980s, it was still going strong in Europe as well as spin-off genres of disco, and the Italians were major producers, hence the name. Just do a youtube search for something like "Italo 80's mix" to get a taste of it. I would say that house music took that kind of music and stripped out a lot of 'cheese' like melodramatic vocals and acoustic instruments and took it into a more minimalist direction. That's cool you were able to see those house music icons live. I grew up in the Chicagoland area in the 1980s, so I remember hearing house music become popular back then. Chicago's pop/R&B music station (Chicagoans will know B96, "The Killer Bee") used to play house music sets every Saturday night. It was good stuff for a kid, and I pretty much went bananas hearing techno music for the first time in some of those sets back then.
Noice! I didn't realize you were from Chi-Town. Well then, most people don't realize it's called "house" because it was really popular to throw big parties in the abandoned warehouses. Thanks for the background, I am a little bit younger than you so I didn't realize how much influence the European scene had on the domestic scene.

Well, now I'm gonna take you a completely different direction. Check out some J Davis Trio! They are also out of Chicago, really in the groove Jazz, with an MC! Seriously, Julio plays the Xylophone and raps/rhymes over the Jazz beats, and he has some really intelligent and witty rhymes. Hands down, my favorite "hiphop" group, but also one of my favorite "jazz" groups. It's hard to explain, you just gotta listen. On a side note, I'm pretty sure his dad was the R&B producer Carl Davis out of Chicago.

EDIT--Another icon I've seen, Carl Cox.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Did you listen to that track that I posted? It is awesome, layers and layers of tracks, panning L/R, very well done synth work.

I'm all ears! Who is better? Maybe Trent Reznor???

And, I said modern because there was certainly a lull in synths after the newness wore off. Then once the digi synths came out, the analog synths became very much niche, but the analog synths are making a huge comeback, prices have skyrocketed on the vintage analog synths with those fat bass notes.

I also absolutely love the work of Wendy (Walter) Carlos--Clockwork Orange Soundtrack, Tron OST, Switched on Bach I and II (I have several copies of these on vinyl).
I suppose I consider all synth relatively modern. Forgot Walter became Wendy, but some good stuff there indeed; I had a vinyl copy of Switched-on Bach back when it was released (well technically it was dad's, he bought it thinking that would have me listening to more classical music). I'm more an ELP guy.

The DP is well done, no doubt, but I just favor other artists and styles generally (I do like the Tron:Legacy soundtrack from DP....also Vangelis for Blade Runner, M83 for Oblivion come to mind too)....Trent Reznor I am listening to now (pieces from Soul, for which he, Ross & Batiste won the GG for). I did listen to the non-talked over parts of that DP/Moroder track just now. It's good, but it won't be making my playlist anytime soon on the other hand. Does make me think back to some of the synth pop coming out of europe back in the 80s...of which I have a fair amount in my collection.

There's lots of good synth stuff/artists out there, just didn't see DP as "kings"....

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Here you go!

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis