Daft Punk Breaks Up

Trell

Trell

Audioholic Spartan
Just to show how out of touch I am my first account, I think, with Daft Punk was with the sound track in the movie Tron: Legacy.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Wow.
They had quite a run at it. Wonder if either will do any solo work? Hmmm.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
I saw that this morning too. Though I knew about them, like you, I did not really take notice until the Tron soundtrack (which I thought was fantastic). Random Access Memories was really good as well - I thought it was silly that "hip" audiophiles were playing it at shows, but it was recorded nicely. I would have liked to see what they did next, but oh well...

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Since they have always appeared in character, they could simply be rebooting themselves as a different act later, and possibly nobody would be the wiser.

The robot characters were a really shrewd move on their part!

For those of us that were already very familiar with Daft Punk, the Tron OST was just another hype point for the movie, and that soundtrack delivers on some bass!

I did a pumkpin for halloween several years ago as one of the robots, obviously it was called the "Daft Punk'in" :)

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
I remember when they had a big hit a few years ago thinking "these dudes are still around?" I hadn't been (still don't) keep up with electronic music. I just listen to stuff people on here recommend.

They had a LONG career.

G

Gmoney

Audioholic Ninja
I saw that this morning too. Though I knew about them, like you, I did not really take notice until the Tron soundtrack (which I thought was fantastic). Random Access Memories was really good as well - I thought it was silly that "hip" audiophiles were playing it at shows, but it was recorded nicely. I would have liked to see what they did next, but oh well...
The 2nd one right?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I was in LA for a conference and the Grammy Museum was near by. Got to see their costumes from when they performed on the show. That was kinda neat to see in person.

Tron Legacy Soundtrack. It was really good, was hoping to see them do more soundtracks based on that.

And of course

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
This is my personal ALL TIME FAVORITE Daft Punk track. It is featuring Giorgio Moroder, and it shows why Daft Punk is the absolute modern kings of the synthesizer! If you are not familiar with Giorgio, he is considered the Father of Disco, and he was the producer of much of Donna Summer's hits!

This was released on the album R.A.M, and it is a 9 minute track, it has some voice over work from Giorgio, but it is an EPIC track! Give it a listen or 2.

John Parks

John Parks

Audioholic Samurai
This is my personal ALL TIME FAVORITE Daft Punk track. It is featuring Giorgio Moroder, and it shows why Daft Punk is the absolute modern kings of the synthesizer! If you are not familiar with Giorgio, he is considered the Father of Disco, and he was the producer of much of Donna Summer's hits!

This was released on the album R.A.M, and it is a 9 minute track, it has some voice over work from Giorgio, but it is an EPIC track! Give it a listen or 2.

I agree- it’s my favorite track from that album.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Modern kings of the synthesizer? Hmmmm....they're good, but there's a bit of competition out there, from even before their time.... :)

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Modern kings of the synthesizer? Hmmmm....they're good, but there's a bit of competition out there, from even before their time.... :)
Agreed, very talented, but there are a lot of other artists out there who are doing more innovative things with synths. Daft punk are by far the most popular of artists who are doing a retro-disco-funk thing, and they have been ever since 'Around the World' which is doubtlessly the most iconic song of that genre.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Did you listen to that track that I posted? It is awesome, layers and layers of tracks, panning L/R, very well done synth work.

I'm all ears! Who is better? Maybe Trent Reznor???

And, I said modern because there was certainly a lull in synths after the newness wore off. Then once the digi synths came out, the analog synths became very much niche, but the analog synths are making a huge comeback, prices have skyrocketed on the vintage analog synths with those fat bass notes.

I also absolutely love the work of Wendy (Walter) Carlos--Clockwork Orange Soundtrack, Tron OST, Switched on Bach I and II (I have several copies of these on vinyl).

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Agreed, very talented, but there are a lot of other artists out there who are doing more innovative things with synths. Daft punk are by far the most popular of artists who are doing a retro-disco-funk thing, and they have been ever since 'Around the World' which is doubtlessly the most iconic song of that genre.
Y'all keep saying "far better in the same genre", but give me a list!

I'm always looking for new music. Let me have a listen and I will be the judge of that for myself.

I do think Kid Koala may be more talented in general, but he uses a lot of sampling, TTs, etc too.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Y'all keep saying "far better in the same genre", but give me a list!

I'm always looking for new music. Let me have a listen and I will be the judge of that for myself.
Daft Punk's genre was mostly disco-funk mixed with house/techno music. I'm not familiar with that scene so I don't know that anyone was far better in that particular genre. However, you said they were kings of the synthesizer. Well, synths are used in a lot of different types of music, and the type of music that Daft Punk typically made, while very well-made, isn't really breaking new ground. I would reserve such a moniker for artists who are pushing synths into doing stuff that hasn't been heard before. If you want to hear music where synths are being used in interesting new ways, go through some of the stuff in the 'Subwoofer Candy' thread, there are some tracks in there that find fresh and original electronic sounds.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
Daft Punk's genre was mostly disco-funk mixed with house/techno music. I'm not familiar with that scene so I don't know that anyone was far better in that particular genre. However, you said they were kings of the synthesizer. Well, synths are used in a lot of different types of music, and the type of music that Daft Punk typically made, while very well-made, isn't really breaking new ground. I would reserve such a moniker for artists who are pushing synths into doing stuff that hasn't been heard before. If you want to hear music where synths are being used in interesting new ways, go through some of the stuff in the 'Subwoofer Candy' thread, there are some tracks in there that find fresh and original electronic sounds.
I will certainly take a look through that thread, as I have not really browsed it much at all yet, but I have seen it pop up from time to time.

My statement is modern kings of the synth, and what I mean is that when I listen to that particular track that I posted, I can't personally think of a better track in the last several years that features the synth as heavily, and is as complex yet musical at the same time.

Again, did you actually LISTEN to that track from post #10??? It is NOT the same as the pop stuff that DP has put out, not by a long shot because the general public won't appreciate it for what it is, and it is a 9 minute track!

Take a listen, they actually have voice over about "doing what you want with music", then tell me if it is innovative or not. You say yourself, "you don't listen to that genre of music", but I do!

I would say that maybe Trent Reznor is as talented/innovative, and likely Imogen Heap.

Last edited:
S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I will certainly take a look through that thread, as I have not really browsed it much at all yet, but I have seen it pop up from time to time.

My statement is modern kings of the synth, and what I mean is that when I listen to that particular track that I posted, I can't personally think of a better track in the last several years that features the synth as heavily, and is as complex yet musical at the same time.

Again, did you actually LISTEN to that track from post #10??? It is NOT the same as the pop stuff that DP has put out, not by a long shot because the general public won't appreciate it for what it is, and it is a 9 minute track!

Take a listen, they actually have voice over about "doing what you want with music", then tell me if it is innovative or not. You say yourself, "you don't listen to that genre of music", but I do!

I would say that maybe Trent Reznor is as talented/innovative, and likely Imogen Heap.
I have heard that track before, it's a fine track, but, aside from the voice over, it sounds like a nice italo tune with modern production techniques. I have heard lots of italo before, so the song itself doesn't strike me as tremendously original. Don't get me wrong, I do think it's good, but I would have to say that if you are going to label anyone to be the modern king of the synth, then whatever they are making shouldn't be easy to pigeonhole into a genre. A synthesizer can sound like anything, it can make an infinite variety of sounds, so a so-called modern king of a synthesizer should be using synths to create stuff that no one has heard before. Personally, I wouldn't call anyone a modern king of synths, because electronic music just has too much diversity, there are too many different directions and too many talented people out there. There is no way to keep track of them all.

slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
I have heard that track before, it's a fine track, but, aside from the voice over, it sounds like a nice italo tune with modern production techniques. I have heard lots of italo before, so the song itself doesn't strike me as tremendously original. Don't get me wrong, I do think it's good, but I would have to say that if you are going to label anyone to be the modern king of the synth, then whatever they are making shouldn't be easy to pigeonhole into a genre. A synthesizer can sound like anything, it can make an infinite variety of sounds, so a so-called modern king of a synthesizer should be using synths to create stuff that no one has heard before. Personally, I wouldn't call anyone a modern king of synths, because electronic music just has too much diversity, there are too many different directions and too many talented people out there. There is no way to keep track of them all.
Hey, I'm going to concede on this point, b/c I am not really familiar with "italo". I'm not an old geezer either, LOL!

Seriously though, thanks for the feedback, I may have some homework to do. Just a quick browse of the genre, it looks like some of the roots of the American House Music scene, which I am very familiar with! Felix Da Houscat, Mark Farina, Derrick Carter, Miguel Migs, etc, seen them all live in the past.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I agree. Daft Punk sort of capped one corner of electronica as a whole. They were the right thing at the right time: almost zeitgeist, if one were to tinker with that definition.
Where they excelled IMO was in production and marketing. Their recordings do sound amazing, and they undoubtedly created a mystique that will likely follow them for the rest of their lives!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis