Dad needs help choosing a new receiver for Christmas.

• Thread starter The Edge of Break Up
  • Start date
T

The Edge of Break Up

Audiophyte
I would like to purchase a receiver that I will be using for 2.1 or 3.1 due to the size of my room. I will be using the receiver for music from my Mac, streaming and cd player along with TV audio. I have located these three units on accessories for less: Yamaha Rd-V683 $299, Denon AVR X2400H $329 and Marantz NR 1608 $349. Any experience with or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Several members told me to check out accessories for less is it a good idea to get the extended warranty as well? Thanks

2channel lover

Audioholic Field Marshall
I would like to purchase a receiver that I will be using for 2.1 or 3.1 due to the size of my room. I will be using the receiver for music from my Mac, streaming and cd player along with TV audio. I have located these three units on accessories for less: Yamaha Rd-V683 $299, Denon AVR X2400H $329 and Marantz NR 1608 $349. Any experience with or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Several members told me to check out accessories for less is it a good idea to get the extended warranty as well? Thanks
I generally hate buying insurance on a new purchases but sometimes it's worth it, especially if the insurance will replace the item if it can't be repaired.

I own Marantz, they generally are treated as the feature brand, but essentially no better than Denon....same company.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
My suggestion to buy the same units as "used" in like new condition on Amazon. These are an open box or just another way to sell you a brand new product at a lower price without making Denon angry.
The difference is Denon gives most AVR-X series product 3-year warranty then bought either new or used from Authorized resellers (Amazon is authorized) BUT only 1 year bought refurb from any seller.
x2400H is $344.04 on amazon like new/open box, which is no brainer to buy over a refurb.
Plus if you have Prime Credit card that should give you a 5% back :)

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Hi. Not familiar with the Yamaha, but after a quick look, I think the denon should give best bang for the buck. I'm a Marantz owner, too, tho as 2channel said, they are the same company (D&M Holdings).
Happy hunting!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Is there a particular reason for the Marantz slim line design? Is size of the unit an issue?

As to refurb extended warranty, before you buy one check your credit card terms....mine automatically extends refurb warranty by a year.

All the choices will do what you want I think, what speakers are you thinking of?

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis