Dad gave me his speakers, thoughts?

D

Dainjah

Audiophyte
Hey everyone,

So im new to this forum but i love music. as my title states my dad gave me his speakers. they seem pretty good and are plenty loud but im just looking to maximize the sounds going to and coming from them.

I have pretty new computer with Realtek HD Audio on it and has S/PDif out. and i have connected that to a old Sony Receiver that doesn't have those digital connections. instead of digital im using 1 of those headphone jack to red and white connectors. the receiver is connected to:

"audio tech pro poly series" the specs they have on them are:

250 watts
Frequency Response: 20hz to 22Khz
Nominal impedance: 8 Ohms (i have no idea what this means... lol)
Polypropylene 12" woofer
and they say "digital ready" so if i can go so far to say that isn't marketing fluff would benefit from the S/Pdif on my comp.

The Receiver is rated for 100 watts for the front channels and 50 watts for the rear. i only have the fronts hooked up right now.

so i guess with that spec list my question is: would getting a new receiver improve the sound? or is it not worth the money?

if its worth it to get, what receivers would you guys recommend? I would love to have my speakers (i have a total of 4) hooked up for parties and booming loud but 250 watts each sounds like a lofty goal per channel... :S lol

Any comments are appreciated

Midcow2

Midcow2

Banned
H'mm your speakers

You have Audio Tech Pro Poly speakers ; they appear to be worth about $300-$350. Can find anything on the web about Audio Tech, except used ones fdor sale . GFrom thel ookso f it they are probaslby more than 10 years old, myabe even 20 or 30!.

The speakers are very efficient 96dB; This means that they can be driven very loud with a fairly low power stero receiver or audio vidio receiver (AVR).

The 8 ohms is the resistance or impedance of the psekaers and is fairly standard. Some very expensive speakers are 4 ohms, but they take twice the power.

Power is logrithim so incraseing a receiver from 100 watts to 200 watts is only a 30% power increase.

Yoy current receiver at 100 watts is a good level receiver and should be able to drive your efficient speaker louder than you can stand !

D

Dainjah

Audiophyte
hey thanks for the quick response.

thats great news, i didn't know about the efficiency... very cool.
I guess i will be leaving the setup as is then...

Thanks for your help,

Damian G

Rickster71

Rickster71

Audioholic Spartan
Are you sure they aren't White Van speakers?
The 'digital ready' part sounds fishy.

D

Dainjah

Audiophyte
so does that mean they are crap?

im not sure if they are white van as my dad got them when i was young but they could very well be.

the outside of them is all carpet looking as well, which truthfully i always kind of liked but never understood.

is there a way to check the quality of it?

I

its_bacon12

Audioholic Intern
Nice. I wish my dad gave me free stuff lol :p

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Are you sure they aren't White Van speakers?
The 'digital ready' part sounds fishy.
Back in the 1980's, and possibly into the 1990's, "Digital Ready" was a phrase attached to quite a bit of equipment, apparently in an effort to get people to buy new stuff instead of using their old equipment. The reality was, of course, that one simply needed to add a CD player to the typical system, but manufacturers always want you to buy new equipment because that is how they make money. I would not make much of it being attached to equipment from that era. On the other hand, from a quick Internet search, those don't look like they are worth anywhere near $300. But, unless one is selling or buying them, it does not matter what their monetary value is.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
Hey everyone,

So im new to this forum but i love music. as my title states my dad gave me his speakers. they seem pretty good and are plenty loud but im just looking to maximize the sounds going to and coming from them.

I have pretty new computer with Realtek HD Audio on it and has S/PDif out. and i have connected that to a old Sony Receiver that doesn't have those digital connections. instead of digital im using 1 of those headphone jack to red and white connectors. the receiver is connected to:

"audio tech pro poly series" the specs they have on them are:

250 watts
Frequency Response: 20hz to 22Khz
Nominal impedance: 8 Ohms (i have no idea what this means... lol)
Polypropylene 12" woofer
and they say "digital ready" so if i can go so far to say that isn't marketing fluff would benefit from the S/Pdif on my comp.

The Receiver is rated for 100 watts for the front channels and 50 watts for the rear. i only have the fronts hooked up right now.

so i guess with that spec list my question is: would getting a new receiver improve the sound? or is it not worth the money?...

No, don't bother getting a new receiver to improve the sound. It is almost never a good idea to get a new receiver to improve the sound.

Pyrrho

Pyrrho

Audioholic Ninja
so does that mean they are crap?

im not sure if they are white van as my dad got them when i was young but they could very well be.

the outside of them is all carpet looking as well, which truthfully i always kind of liked but never understood.

is there a way to check the quality of it?

You said in your first post that you liked them. It does not matter what the rest of us think of them, because we will not be listening to them. If you are really interested in what others think of them, just do some searching on line for the brand and model and see what you come up with. But, again, if you are happy with them, it does not matter what anyone else thinks.

If you ever decide to buy some speakers, then doing research on the matter before parting with your money is a really good idea. It is also a good idea to listen to as many different speakers in one's price range as possible before buying, so that one will not quickly regret one's choice. But speakers that are a gift, if you like them, then don't worry about how they compare with other speakers. Unless, of course, people are giving you speakers all the time, in which case you will probably want to accept only the best ones that are offered to you.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis