D-Link Media Lounge

nuance

nuance

Junior Audioholic
Just wondering if anybody is/was using this to stream audio/video to the HT. I've heard mixed reviews some from 10/10 to 2/10 :confused: I'm gonna connect through ethernet cable so wireless steaming isn't an issue. any firsthand experience would be appreciated. thanks

Duffinator

Duffinator

Audioholic Field Marshall
I'm using the Hauppauge Media MVP and it leaves me wanting for more. I'd like to hear from owners as well to see what the D-Link does well and what it's lacking. I also have a wired home so no need for wireless.

P

pbarach1

Audioholic
nuance said:
Just wondering if anybody is/was using this to stream audio/video to the HT. I've heard mixed reviews some from 10/10 to 2/10 :confused: I'm gonna connect through ethernet cable so wireless steaming isn't an issue. any firsthand experience would be appreciated. thanks
I have this unit and it works great for transmitting audio (haven't tried video, but be aware that it won't transmit copyright-protected video material, such as a DVD that's playing in your pc). I use the Media Lounge's optical connection to my receiver, so I have no opinion concerning the quality of D/A conversion that the Media Lounge produces. There are only two issues I've had with the unit, and neither concerns the sound quality.

1. When I first turn on the Media Lounge unit, my Norton Internet Security blocks access to my PC. I have followed all of their tech support suggestions and I still have the problem. The work-around is to disable Norton Internet Security for 5 minutes, turn on your media lounge unit, and then you'll see that the media lounge unit is now able to access your designated "shared" folders on your PC. The access goes away, though, any time either the PC or the Media Lounge is turned off; just repeat the workaround again.

2. The D-Link software will scan the media folders on the PC at a scheduled interval to locate new files. While this is happening, your PC runs very **slowly**. Also, new files that you download on your PC will not be visible to the Media Lounge until after the D-Link software scans your media folders. The workaround is to use Windows Media Connect, which is a free download from Microsoft. Once this program is downloaded, put it in your PC's startup folder (and remove the D-Link software from that folder). The Media Lounge unit runs fine without the D-Link software.

The unit transmits still pictures to my TV; they appear to be a lower resolution than they are on the PC monitor, but this may be because I don't have an HDTV and I use an S-video cable to send video from the Media Lounge to the TV (through my receiver). Component video connections are also available, but I haven't tried them...

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis