Custom HTPC, Mac Mini, Or? ...

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
I'm currently using my Oppo BDP 93 as the front end for streaming in my living room. It's fine with my uPnP server (MediaTomb running on a Pentium 4 Linux Mint box). I'm not happy that it's Netflix client is limited to two channel audio.

I don't really have a ton of space unless I put a tower type unit on the floor. I don't actually need anything powerful, just HDMI and ethernet connectivity, better Netflix streaming and ability to play movies and audio off my local network. File types I use locally are FLAC/WAV/MP3 - mostly FLAC and MKV/x264.

I'm considering a Mac Mini and running VLC on it for local stuff and Netflix via a browser. Are there any set top boxes that can stream what I have plus do Netflix better? Should I just build something custom?

It seems that everybody wants to add streaming features to their TVs, BDPs and receivers but none of them do everything well. I would like to have one go-to device for streaming.

Jim

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord
I love OpenElec/xbmc and it could run on pc equivalent of fumes. It does have a Netflix plugin, but I do not know how good is it..
It has plenty other streaming apps, but it wont support silverlight

Adam

Adam

Audioholic Jedi
Hi, Jim. I can't speak to all of your audio types, but I have a Sony DBP-S3100 ($88 on Amazon right now), and it streams Netflix just great (as well as Amazon Instant Video and Hulu Plus). Netflix is in HD and 5.1. I also use it to play files off of a USB thumb-drive, as well as stream movies to it from my Mac (or PC) using PS3 Media Server. All in all, I've been really happy with it.

jliedeka

jliedeka

Audioholic General
I'm not looking to replace the Oppo, I have a few PAL discs. I just want to add something that does streaming well.

Jim

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis