Currently have Sony DA777ES, would Pioneer VSX-1021-K be a downgrade?

B

BlueWRXPride

Audiophyte
I currently have a Sony DA777ES receiver that is in great condition. I've been debating upgrading my receiver to get something that can handle the newer audio encodings, can do HDMI switching, and as a bonus has some iphone integration. I saw that this pioneer is for sale for $300 on Newegg, which looks like an amazing price for the features it has, and it seems to get some pretty decent reviews. I know that when it was new, this sony receiver was pretty high end, and is held in high regards as to sound quality. If i were to get this Pioneer, would I be giving myself a downgrade in terms of audio quality? What do you think my sony receiver would be worth if I tried to sell it?

B

bikdav

Senior Audioholic
That was a great receiver in its day. However, given all the useful features that the latest receivers have and also the capabilities that you stated that you needed, I don't feel that the Pioneer VSX-1021 would be a downgrade. As for you selling the Sony, My very rough [and probably inaccurate] guess would be between $75 to $150. As a side note, I just recently picked up a Sony STR-DE925 at a yard sale for $25. It works fine and solved my problem.

B

BlueWRXPride

Audiophyte
Thanks for the helpful reply. How about from the sound quality perspective? I know I'd be giving up some power (120w per chan vs. 90w) but I doubt I would ever notice that part. Still, would the audio qualit be higher coming from the Sony that I already have? I know ive read some about how the Sony has completely separate ADCs and DACs so that they don't interfere with each other and things like that. I don't know if the pioneer is lacking details such as this that I might notice.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
http://www.docs.sony.com/release/STRDA777ES.PDF

That is a 54 lbs 5.1 AVR, 2 channel less but 2.5X the weight of the Pioneer. There may not be audible difference but I have little doubt the Pioneer can't compare from quality stand point. However if you want to have 7.1 and the latest I/Os it it time to move on. The Sony can still be useful in some other applications, e.g. stereo in another room..

B

BlueWRXPride

Audiophyte
I noticed the Pioneer receiver isn't THX certified. Is that something I should care about when upgrading?

B

bikdav

Senior Audioholic
I noticed the Pioneer receiver isn't THX certified. Is that something I should care about when upgrading?
That is a good question. I've never used any THX certified equipment. Yet, I never felt deprived in any way.

B

bikdav

Senior Audioholic
Hey PENG: Thank you for providing the sony doc. After looking through it, that must have been a very serious receiver in its day.

J

JDaBod

Audioholic Intern
I currently have a Sony DA777ES receiver that is in great condition. I've been debating upgrading my receiver to get something that can handle the newer audio encodings, can do HDMI switching, and as a bonus has some iphone integration. I saw that this pioneer is for sale for $300 on Newegg, which looks like an amazing price for the features it has, and it seems to get some pretty decent reviews. I know that when it was new, this sony receiver was pretty high end, and is held in high regards as to sound quality. If i were to get this Pioneer, would I be giving myself a downgrade in terms of audio quality? What do you think my sony receiver would be worth if I tried to sell it?
Let me know if you decide to sell that triple 7...

M

m_vanmeter

Full Audioholic
the older Sony "ES" and "DB" series receivers were built like tanks and had very good spec's for the day. I'm still using a 15 year old STR-930DB on a secondary HT setup and the DD5.1 still sounds great.

I would suggest you take a look at the Pioneer 1121, and sign up for Newegg's "e-Blast" email sales notification. Twice recently they have had the 1121 on sale for about $100 more than the 1021 sale price, and since I bought one at the sale price ;) I think is was a great step up from the 1021

Last edited:

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis