I'm seeking input on the following:

The SVS PB10-ISD, on sale for $379. Some Specs:

Proprietary, SVS-designed long-throw 10" woofer
300 watt BASH digital switching amp
Front-firing design with flush fit woofer and vent
+/- 3dB from 20-100hz anechoic, in room extension will be 2-5hz deeper
Size: 15" wide x 19" high x 21" deep
Weight: 60 pounds

The Mirage S12, on sale for $399. Some Specs.

Front-Firing Subwoofer / Bass Reflex With Two Downward-Firing Ports
1200 Watts Peak Power, 300 Watts Continuous
Woofer: 12" Polypropylene Titanium Deposit Hybrid With Ribbed Elliptical Surround™
Frequency Response: 19Hz-120Hz +/- 3dB
15.7" W x 19.4" D x 19.2" H
51 Pounds

AV123 Rocket UFW10 - B-Stock for $425. Some Specs.

500W amplifier with one-band parametric EQ,
Type: Acoustic suspension, single-driver system
Driver: 10" black-annodized alloy cone woofer
Frequency Response: 25 Hz +/- 2 dB
Size (W x D x H): 13 1/8" x 12 7/8" x 13 7/16"
Weight: 52 lbs.

The room is 12x18 with an 8 foot ceiling, so medium size. Use is 2/3 music; 1/3 HT. Musicality (is that a word?) is of primary importance, but some good thump for movies would be a plus.

System:
Pionneer 912K 6x110 watt receiver.
Fronts: Infinity RS3s
Center: A vintage AR 18
Surrounds: BIC Venturi DV52s
TV: Westy 37" LCD
DVD: Panasonic (Not sure of model # - it has progressive and record capabilitites)
No current Sub

I like the size of the Rocket, but the black color of the others.

A

AzN_plyR

Audioholic
Mirage S12 would probabbly be the best of both worlds, it is nice and tighter than the svs, and has lower extension then the rocket because it is sealed..

muncybob

muncybob

Audioholic
I'm hoping the S12!! I ordered it before seeing the SVS go on sale..expect it either today or 5/31...but from what I've read all 3 are good subs in this price range.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
PB-10 at that discounted price before they are all gone...

A

auge.dog

Junior Audioholic
No love for the UFW10? I was thinking that would be the most musical, and with a 500W amp would provide some thump. I'm not looking for a lot of thump, and any I would get would be a bonus. I appreciate the replies to this point, and keep the input coming.

Buckeyefan 1

Buckeyefan 1

Audioholic Ninja
Get the Rocket if space is an issue, and you really aren't looking for that "U571 subsonic HT bass". That's a good price for a solid 10" sealed sub. The SVS would be my pick for HT, and the S12 for a mix of the two (music/movies) - slightly giving up the lowest of bass to the SVS. The S12 is capable of very high spl's, so it may be a great choice if you throw parties, or listen at high levels. You have a tough choice. It's a good thing you didn't throw HSU into the mix, or we'd have to suggest a moderator bann you for a few days. :rolleyes:

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Buckeyefan 1 said:
It's a good thing you didn't throw HSU into the mix, or we'd have to suggest a moderator bann you for a few days. :rolleyes:
LOL.

I used to own the PB-10 and it was very respectable with music, but shines with HT. I also owned an HSU VTF-2 which was a little better with music, but left a bit too much to be desired with the lowest stuff for HT (my room is fairly large). I have not heard the UFW-10, but the fact that it is sealed means the lowest stuff will not be the high point for it, but generally speaking sealed subs tend to be great with music.

The PB-10 is definitely not small for a 10" sub, so make sure you take that into account if size is an issue as Buckeyefan mentioned.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis