Crown xls 1502 vs Emotiva basx A2

A

Andons27

Audiophyte
Hello there! I'm finally getting an amp for my polk audio RTI-A9 tower speakers. Anyway, from what I've read the sweet spot is around 200 watts to power these speakers properly. The crown puts out 300 Watts vs the emotivas 160 Watts. Both units are about the same($500) price. Additionally I have Emotiva's new Basx Mr1 receiver, so I was thinking the amp would pair well with it. I understand the emotiva amp will most likely sound subtly better than the crown, but my thought was the crown might be more what I'm looking for with my RTI-A9s as they provide almost double the power. Moreover, I don't want to spend another $500 to get 250-300 watts from another brand and I feel 160 watt could be adequate. Anyone with experience in these products giving me some advice would be awesome! Thanks!

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Crown any day. The Crown 2502 is over 400w at 8 ohm, tho. Much more powerful than the BasX series, which are more similar to an avr's amp section (and rated similarly).

ps Okay, I'm prejudiced. Have owned four XLS1500s for many years and picked up a 2502 a few years ago. If comparing to Emotiva more like XPA or above.

A

Andons27

Audiophyte
Crown any day. The Crown 2502 is over 400w at 8 ohm, tho. Much more powerful than the BasX series, which are more similar to an avr's amp section (and rated similarly).

ps Okay, I'm prejudiced. Have owned four XLS1500s for many years and picked up a 2502 a few years ago. If comparing to Emotiva more like XPA or above.
I meant crown 1502, but it's still a lot more watts. Appreciate the input.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
The BassX amps are still more powerful than a comparably rated AVR real world. Given the choice though, I'd agree with Crown for what you will get for the price.

F

fmw

Audioholic Ninja
Hello there! I'm finally getting an amp for my polk audio RTI-A9 tower speakers. Anyway, from what I've read the sweet spot is around 200 watts to power these speakers properly. The crown puts out 300 Watts vs the emotivas 160 Watts. Both units are about the same($500) price. Additionally I have Emotiva's new Basx Mr1 receiver, so I was thinking the amp would pair well with it. I understand the emotiva amp will most likely sound subtly better than the crown, but my thought was the crown might be more what I'm looking for with my RTI-A9s as they provide almost double the power. Moreover, I don't want to spend another $500 to get 250-300 watts from another brand and I feel 160 watt could be adequate. Anyone with experience in these products giving me some advice would be awesome! Thanks!
The difference in power for the two units relates to a 3db difference in sound pressure level and you aren't likely to use full power with either one. Both units are plenty powerful. Get whatever lights your fire.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
The BassX amps are still more powerful than a comparably rated AVR real world. Given the choice though, I'd agree with Crown for what you will get for the price.
FWIW take a look at the 7ch BasX amp ratings:
  • Power Output (ALL channels driven):
    90 watts RMS per channel; 20 Hz – 20 kHz; THD < 0.1%; into 8 Ohms.
    125 watts RMS per channel; 1 kHz; THD < 1%; into 4 Ohms.
  • Power Output (two channels driven):
    120 watts RMS per channel; into 8 Ohms.
    175 watts RMS per channel; into 4 Ohms.
Not that different from the way an avr is rated, perhaps has a teensy edge but compared to a flagship avr, all you're doing is not using the avr's amps, you're not gaining a lot.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Definitely the 1502, there is no comparison except the Emotiva amp may look better to you, or not?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
FWIW take a look at the 7ch BasX amp ratings:
  • Power Output (ALL channels driven):
    90 watts RMS per channel; 20 Hz – 20 kHz; THD < 0.1%; into 8 Ohms.
    125 watts RMS per channel; 1 kHz; THD < 1%; into 4 Ohms.
  • Power Output (two channels driven):
    120 watts RMS per channel; into 8 Ohms.
    175 watts RMS per channel; into 4 Ohms.
Not that different from the way an avr is rated, perhaps has a teensy edge but compared to a flagship avr, all you're doing is not using the avr's amps, you're not gaining a lot.
I gave my son in law my old pre and he picked up an A5. It handles a front stage of my old 4 Ohm speakers, something most AVRs won't do. At the cost of a flagship AVR, this amp will cost less and deliver more usable power because everything inside is doing only one thing compared to an AVR. It won't give you big headroom gains over a flagship AVR though, I agree. It won't deliver as much power as a comparable crown either IMO.

D

dlaloum

Full Audioholic
I have a Crown XLS2500, driving my difficult 4ohm nominal speakers... not all amps sound good with those speakers as they have an impedance drop down to 1.6 ohm - which causes many amps to misbehave (increased non-linearity, distortion, obvious degradation in sound quality).

Subjectively, the Crown sounds better than my old 165W@8ohm stereo AVR.... but the difference is marginal and might even be non-existant (could I tell the difference in double blind?, maybe not!)
The Crown does sound vastly superior to my current 100W AVR - but I think that is due to its small power supply, and resulting misbehaviour into my speakers - when used as a pre driving the Crown, everything sounds as it should (Great!).

Given your polks are 8ohm nominal.... and relatively high efficiency... I doubt there would be an audible difference between the two amps.

I should mention that the Crown XLS series (1st and 2nd gen) are often available used in the DJ/Band/PA marketplaces... I purchase my XLS2500's for US$250 each (I have 2).

Personally I would look around for used Crown bargains...

Also the Crowns are designed for the rough wear and tear of a pro amp (think crash and bash!!)... which in a home environment tends to imply very long trouble free lifetime!! (I have had mine for over 10 years now)

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis