Crown amplifiers vs. other amps in the audiophile world

T

twylight

Audioholic Intern
Also in the XLS 1500 the fan doesnt come on with 24 hours use...

So I left in playing in my room for a week and checked it...the fan was rotating but was dead silent at 6 inches.

The crown XLS 1500 is as simple as buy it and use it - no fan mods or drama...has RCA and XLS connectors ready to go.

jinjuku

jinjuku

I'm not interested in your crow eating. I'm not interested in fighting and I'm not interested in finding and going through back issues of Stereophile. No need to get snippy. Just don't believe me. That is fine with me. I'm just trying to be instructive and helpful to the OP. He wondered why audiophiles have an aversion to crown and I answered his question.
If Crown made a class A only amp it wasn't marketed under either Crown or Amcron as far as I'm aware. But 100% interested if they did and would like a model number.

Crown's first foray into Consumer Audiphiledom would be their PS-Series. They still produce D series for studio use though expensive and doubt they sell very many units.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I have a "High Fidelity Test Reports" review of the DC-150A. The review has noting but superlatives talking about how CBS Labs found themselves working close to the limits of their test equipment.
If I had had the money, I would have bought one back then (along with the IC-150A pre).

jinjuku

jinjuku

I have a "High Fidelity Test Reports" review of the DC-150A. The review has noting but superlatives talking about how CBS Labs found themselves working close to the limits of their test equipment.
If I had had the money, I would have bought one back then (along with the IC-150A pre).
I was 17 when I picked up my Crown stack. I started riding my bike by Plazatronics in Portage Lakes, Ohio and bothering the ever loving out of the owner there (Denny). So a year and a half goes by and I ask him what I should get. Since he was in repair biz and into audio... Well he didn't like Threshold/Stasis/Carver and recommended the DC Series.

I started looking in the Classifieds and get a guy selling his home studio. Picked up the 300a/150a/IC150a for $450 and since I didn't have a car or license my good buddy Bill drove me out. Love at first sight when I saw the Crown. Denny benched everything, didn't charge me a dime and the 300a was hitting 191 WPC before clipping.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
I was 17 when I picked up my Crown stack. I started riding my bike by Plazatronics in Portage Lakes, Ohio and bothering the ever loving out of the owner there (Denny). So a year and a half goes by and I ask him what I should get. Since he was in repair biz and into audio... Well he didn't like Threshold/Stasis/Carver and recommended the DC Series.

I started looking in the Classifieds and get a guy selling his home studio. Picked up the 300a/150a/IC150a for $450 and since I didn't have a car or license my good buddy Bill drove me out. Love at first sight when I saw the Crown. Denny benched everything, didn't charge me a dime and the 300a was hitting 191 WPC before clipping.
You sound like me when I finally got the CX822. On the first day I had it I stayed up all night and just looked it, and memorized the instruction manual. I had a picture of a fully loaded CX844 on my wall, the same way other people had sports or music posters up. Of course, I wasn't too bright back then, the SX electronics actually sounded better, even though they weren't the top of the line.

I wonder why your friend didn't like the Threshold products.

jinjuku

jinjuku

You sound like me when I finally got the CX822. On the first day I had it I stayed up all night and just looked it, and memorized the instruction manual. I had a picture of a fully loaded CX844 on my wall, the same way other people had sports or music posters up. Of course, I wasn't too bright back then, the SX electronics actually sounded better, even though they weren't the top of the line.

I wonder why your friend didn't like the Threshold products.
I think a bit of Politics. He had a bit of disdain for Neslon Pass (the marketeer version of Pass, not the engineer) in light of guys David Hafler. I had to agree with Denny on that once I got ears on the Hafler DH-220 vs a Pass designed GFA. Back n that day and for a long time after Hafler was considered the perfect design in balance of performance to price.

The one really cool thing Denny had was a copy of the mastering tapes (RTR) for Dark Side of the Moon. When he divorced a few years ago the only thing he grabbed out of the house: His speakers, His Crown, and the RTR tapes and RTR Crown machine.

Also how cool is this, in 99' the IC150A was exhibiting some noise due to pot wear. I called Crown up and even though they initially said they didn't service that vintage one of their guys that had went home, dug up some still sealed replacement pots, serviced the unit, and charged me a whopping $65 bucks and that included shipping it back. The IC150A and DC300A are still in daily service by another friend of mine.

Class Act all the way.

Irvrobinson

Irvrobinson

Audioholic Spartan
Also how cool is this, in 99' the IC150A was exhibiting some noise due to pot wear. I called Crown up and even though they initially said they didn't service that vintage one of their guys that had went home, dug up some still sealed replacement pots, serviced the unit, and charged me a whopping $65 bucks and that included shipping it back. The IC150A and DC300A are still in daily service by another friend of mine.

Class Act all the way.
I'll say. That is a class act.

internetmin

internetmin

Audioholic
I'll say. That is a class act.
Let me tell you that Harman in general has absolutely amazing customer service and support. At first glance, it looks like a large business as usual, but their customer service is just awesome.

internetmin

internetmin

Audioholic
Can I ask a follow-up that probably got buried. If you're looking at the current Crown line, which amp would you recommend trying out with Salons? i'd be looking for something that would be at least 300-500wpc into 8ohms minimum to make it worth a test run vs. what I have now.

jinjuku

jinjuku

The XLS 2000. It would be more than enough.

Crown has a video on their I-Tech HD series and you see the Salon 2's in the background.

internetmin

internetmin

Audioholic
The XLS 2000. It would be more than enough.

Crown has a video on their I-Tech HD series and you see the Salon 2's in the background.
Where?!?!? Do you have a link for that??!!!!

jinjuku

jinjuku

Here is the video:

[video=youtube;WqmU8Usxzpo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=WqmU8Usxzpo[/video]

Last edited:
internetmin

internetmin

Audioholic
I would just Google it or go to your local Guitar Center.
One difference that I notice with the pro amps is the lack of a 12v trigger on. So an additional adapter would be needed or do it manually or have a power conditioner with 12v trigger.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
One difference that I notice with the pro amps is the lack of a 12v trigger on. So an additional adapter would be needed or do it manually or have a power conditioner with 12v trigger.
There is a reason for that. Most of the pro setups use a "power conditioner" with a sequencer built in to power everything on in a specific sequence. Makes things much easier. Most of them don't have 12v triggers, but you will be able to use a consumer version without issue.

I've been very happy with my XLS1500. I haven't had the fan come on yet running it at 2ohms. I've only used it to power my subs so I can't speak on sound quality, but with my pioneer speakers I doubt I'd hear a difference in quality. I'll try it once I get some higher end speakers for my 2.0/2.1 rig.

internetmin

internetmin

Audioholic
There is a reason for that. Most of the pro setups use a "power conditioner" with a sequencer built in to power everything on in a specific sequence. Makes things much easier. Most of them don't have 12v triggers, but you will be able to use a consumer version without issue.

I've been very happy with my XLS1500. I haven't had the fan come on yet running it at 2ohms. I've only used it to power my subs so I can't speak on sound quality, but with my pioneer speakers I doubt I'd hear a difference in quality. I'll try it once I get some higher end speakers for my 2.0/2.1 rig.
My Panamax has a 12 trigger adapter so I could make it work.

panteragstk

panteragstk

Audioholic Warlord
Should be no problem. I honestly just leave mine on all the time. May not be a good practice, but I haven't had any issues. I'll see if I can check to find out what wattage it pulls when it isn't receiving a signal.

RichB

RichB

Audioholic Field Marshall
I am currently using a Crown K2 power amp with Apogee Stage speakers. You can read about each of them:

http://www.crownaudio.com/media/pdf/legacy/136713.pdf

http://www.crownaudio.com/media/pdf/legacy/102010.pdf

Stage

(You may want to read the reviews; they are great speakers.)

The speakers are widely regarded as some of the most "revealing" that one can get. The Crown amp is fine. The K2 also accepts banana connectors, but it does not have any RCA type inputs; I use adapters, which are very cheap to buy.

I very much like my Crown K2, as it has no fans, so there is no fan noise at all, and it is a sealed case, so dirt cannot get inside. I also have never run out of power with it; I should be able to totally trash any speaker I own with undistorted power from it. I am very glad I bought it. (I am even more glad that I bought the Apogee Stage speakers, but you are asking about Crown amplifiers.)
Those look much nicer than the XLR's and have no fans.
How does the technology differ?

I wish the gain were a bit better.

- Rich

Last edited:
M

MidnightSensi2

Audioholic Chief
I have a power strip that runs up by Middle Atlantic rack (4ft long), which handles the 12v trigger. I use a mix of Crown and Crest amplifiers for my home theater (Crowns for mains, Crest for subwoofers).

I really like that new 4 channel I-Tech. Great for people short on rack space too.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis