W

walker17

Enthusiast
Is anyone here familar with the 100 db crossover used by J S Eng. speakers from the 1980s? Wonder why it is not used on some designs today? I beleive it was Richard Modaffeci (sp.?) that is credited with its design. I thin he also used phase shift bass loading. Any info or references would be of help I own some JSE Infinite Slope model 2s and would like to know more about their design. Thanks in advance!
Walker17

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I am going to guess this would be the place to go: JosephAudio I am going to say they are related since I've not seen any other speaker with an infinite slope x-over? They sound fantastic too.

W

walker17

Enthusiast
I was hoping for information on the advantages or disadvantages of such a steep crossover. anyone with an opinion on this?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Looks like they took it down; they used to have a large page just discussing the infinite slope x-over and why they use it, but I don't see it on their site anymore. I guess I meant if you really want to know in detail as opposed to having a discussion on it, they might be a good place to ask.

W

walker17

Enthusiast
Thanks for the info. Opinions about this x-over design? Is it good? Why is it not used very often?

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
Clearly it does something right. I've never heard the older speakers that used the JSE, but I can tell you the Joseph Audio speakers are some of my favorites and I am sure that crossover has a lot to do with that.

Last edited:
R

ridikas

Banned
You guys are acting like this is some sort of a miracle while it couldn't be more pedestrian. It's a simple Cauer/elliptic filter. Has been around since the start of electronics. I've seen it in hundreds of audio related products, ranging from passive speaker crossovers to active and digital. Like every other filter, it has it's benefits and drawbacks. Google is a good place to start...

JerryLove

JerryLove

Audioholic Samurai
I would think that the down-side of high slope crossovers would be with integration. Two drivers will not behave quite the same. The slope on a crossover gives you time to adjust to the change.

Think about how you paint a wall. You always want the edge wet as you are adding new paint. If you were to stop half way, let the paint dry, then do the other half: the line between the two would be clear.

It seems to be similar with sound transitions.

This is relatively trivial to implement in a DSP-based crossover.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis