lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
You don't have a sub it appears. Generally the crossover is between speakers and subs....in your case it may be your center/surrounds to mains since they're set to "small" (i.e. use bass management and your L/R are set to large, i.e. do not use bass management). Your manual may have more info, been a while since I used MCACC but I always had subs, too. What are all the speakers involved here? Generally a starting crossover recommended when using subs is 80hz. You might set your center and surrounds to "large" otoh as you don't have a sub and let them run full range.

remomoreira

remomoreira

Audioholic Intern
Is there a danger of damaging the speakers or the receiver if I set the crossover at 200?
I confess I am a newbie at audio and dont understand this.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Not even sure it functions without a sub. It may act like a high pass filter for the center/surrounds, it may not limit them. Won't hurt to leave it set at 200hz, tho I tend to want a center using more of the frequency range myself. Best to know what the speakers particularly are, too.

remomoreira

remomoreira

Audioholic Intern
Is there a danger of damaging the speakers or the receiver if I set the crossover at 200?
I confess I am a newbie at audio and dont understand this.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Do you understand what a crossover is in the first place? It is where a low pass filter's slope "crosses over" a high pass filter's slope. So essentially if the 200hz is working on your center/surrounds, it is simply limiting lower frequencies (letting the high frequencies "pass") to your center/surrounds. Might be missing something from the speakers and if inadequate, possibly protecting them.

remomoreira

remomoreira

Audioholic Intern
Thank you very much!
So I think 200 is fine. Most of the low must in fact go to the towers (standing floors). They play low frequêncies well.

These towers are Handcrafted, made to order, in Naval Wood, with highly refined components, the majority coming from abroad:

Speaker: 8" (2 bass, 2 mid-bass, 1 medium)
Tweeter: Silk. 1" (Vifa Brand)
Power: 400 watts RMS
Impedance 8 Hms
Frequency Divider: YES
Frequency Range: 80hz to 2Khz
Sensitivity: 89dB

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thank you very much!
So I think 200 is fine. Most of the low must in fact go to the towers (standing floors). They play low frequêncies well.

These towers are Handcrafted, made to order, in Naval Wood, with highly refined components, the majority coming from abroad:

Speaker: 8" (2 bass, 2 mid-bass, 1 medium)
Tweeter: Silk. 1" (Vifa Brand)
Power: 400 watts RMS
Impedance 8 Hms
Frequency Divider: YES
Frequency Range: 80hz to 2Khz
Sensitivity: 89dB
Subs would still be better....and definitely would use a crossover in an avr. Does your avr manual indicate what happens without a sub?

remomoreira

remomoreira

Audioholic Intern
Yes, I use a crossover in an avr, and its manual indicates what happens without a sub.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis