J

jsf0656

Audioholic
I have an older POLK RTI6. listen to 70-80s rock on a 2-channel system with a polk 10'' sub. I have the sub crossed over at 80. is that where it should be or would a 90-100 crossover be better in a room 15x15 with high ceilings? thanks for any input.

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
I have an older POLK RTI6. listen to 70-80s rock on a 2-channel system with a polk 10'' sub. I have the sub crossed over at 80. is that where it should be or would a 90-100 crossover be better in a room 15x15 with high ceilings? thanks for any input.
Anything above 80hz usually leads to sub localization. You can try it out though and see how it sounds to you. It’ll take a little more stress off the towers but usually isn’t enough benefit to offset being able to hear where the subwoofer is.

J

jsf0656

Audioholic
I tried it at 90 and it sounded pretty good and seemed to promote the mids and highs a little more but it could be just me, I had returned the emotiva B1s to amazon as they were a little to bright for me.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I'm working on my bass management right now... as I'm understanding it, for those RTI6s, you should look at setting XO at 100Hz... 1 octave above the 50Hz rating, and maybe a little higher. Some stuff I've seen has even recommended XO 1.5 octaves above (150hz).
I don't think you'll really get that type of localization at that frequency.

J

jsf0656

Audioholic
I will try that and see. just wanted to see If that helps the mids mainly as i'm still interested in new bookshelf speakers. i'm thinking about going to the 5.25 woofer and have been looking at the KEF150s and the wharfadale 10.1

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Definitely not the expert here... Hoping 1 day to be 1/3 as cool as Shady. ;)
A lot will come down to room acoustics and how hot that sub might be running. If blended well, I think it won't be noticeable. When experimenting with my smaller surrounds as mains, I didn't notice any localization effects. More than anything, I'm keeping my XOs closer to an octave above their low end without any problems thus far. All speakers set to small, LFE+Mains, and just manually tuning sub trim in the AVR and Gain at the sub to blend them.

Last edited:
ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I will try that and see. just wanted to see If that helps the mids mainly as i'm still interested in new bookshelf speakers. i'm thinking about going to the 5.25 woofer and have been looking at the KEF150s and the wharfadale 10.1
I haven't heard the Emos, but if you thought those were bright, watch out for KEF. I liked the sound when I auditioned the bigger speakers (Q950, R900), but definitely got listening fatigue from the highs and that UNI-Q driver. Some have said Room EQ will fix that (don't think its right to buy a speaker that has to be EQ'd) and others, including Shady suggested they should not be toed in ro the LP rather perpendicular to the front wall as the should have good dispersion. ;) Heard some good stuff about Wharfedales, too. Never had a chance to hear them, though.

J

jsf0656

Audioholic
any help I can get is certainly a big help to me as I am far from being the expert here. polk is the only brand that I have ever owned. I am 63 but I feel that I want to venture out into the speaker world and try something else before I am to old to enjoy it!:)

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
any help I can get is certainly a big help to me as I am far from being the expert here. polk is the only brand that I have ever owned. I am 63 but I feel that I want to venture out into the speaker world and try something else before I am to old to enjoy it!:)
I think Ascend Acoustics or Philharmonic Audio should fit your goals then. Definitely not bright and both are excellent end game speakers. Especially Sierra Towers with Raal or Phil 3’s :p but I doubt you would venture that far. Instead I would suggest CBM170’s or AA+ Monitors. If you’d like to step up another level, Sierra’s or Philharmonic Mini Monitors would be the go to spot that also have RAAL tweeters.

J

jsf0656

Audioholic
I haven't heard the Emos, but if you thought those were bright, watch out for KEF. I liked the sound when I auditioned the bigger speakers (Q950, R900),but definitely got listening fatigue from the highs and that UNI-Q driver. Some have said Room EQ will fix that (don't think its right to buy a speaker that has to be EQ'd) and others, including Shady suggested they should not be toed in ro the LP rather perpendicular to the front wall as the should have good dispersion. ;) Heard some good stuff about Wharfedales, too. Never had a chance to hear them, though.
I live in a small town and its at least a 100 miles from here so I don't have the luxury of going to a audio store. best buy is about the only option I have. i have been reading reviews on amazon and crutchfield.

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Depending on your budget and availability in your area, I really liked Monitor Audio. I was into the Silver series, but their Bronze also rates pretty high.
If you want to treat yourself, and have the budget to play with ;) check out the Philharmonic BMRs! Super impressed by these. They are my Front 3 right now!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
I think Ascend Acoustics or Philharmonic Audio should fit your goals then. Definitely not bright and both are excellent end game speakers. Especially Sierra Towers with Raal or Phil 3’s :p but I doubt you would venture that far. Instead I would suggest CBM170’s or AA+ Monitors. If you’d like to step up another level, Sierra’s or Philharmonic Mini Monitors would be the go to spot that also have RAAL tweeters.
Ascend is supposed to be nice. I was planning to drive to San Clemente to audition the Sierras when I called everything off... after auditioning the Phil 3s.
Dennis/Philharmonic Audio has discontinued the Affordable Accuracy line. But if you want Stand-mounts close to full range, I don't think you can beat some of his offerings!
And I agree, I've heard a lot of good stuff about Ascend. Again, just depends on your budget.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
Anything above 80hz usually leads to sub localization. You can try it out though and see how it sounds to you. It’ll take a little more stress off the towers but usually isn’t enough benefit to offset being able to hear where the subwoofer is.
I run my subs at 110hz and no issue with localization, had them as high as 120. Depends on the room, subs and mains.

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
Ascend is supposed ro be nice. I was planning to drive to San Clemente to audition the Sierras when I called everything off... after auditioning the Phil 3s.
Dennis has discontinued the Affordable Accuracy line. But if you want Stand-mounts close to full range, I don't think you can beat some of his offerings!
And I agree, I've heard a lot of good stuff about Ascend. Again, just depends on your budget.
He discontinued it???

I thought he just regressed to the non + version since he couldn’t get ahold of the morel tweeters?

J

jsf0656

Audioholic
Ascend is supposed to be nice. I was planning to drive to San Clemente to audition the Sierras when I called everything off... after auditioning the Phil 3s.
Dennis/Philharmonic Audio has discontinued the Affordable Accuracy line. But if you want Stand-mounts close to full range, I don't think you can beat some of his offerings!
budget is around 300 or close!

ryanosaur

ryanosaur

Audioholic Overlord
Ascend CBM 170s might be worth considering... if you wanna splurge a little, maybe the CMT 340s. Both show to be still on sale! ;)

J

jsf0656

Audioholic
one question... am I going to get a better midrange with the 5.25 woofer vs a 6''woofer or am I not understanding it correctly?

R

Russdawg1

Full Audioholic
one question... am I going to get a better midrange with the 5.25 woofer vs a 6''woofer or am I not understanding it correctly?
According to math, the 5.25” woofer should be easier to crossover with the tweeter hopefully ending up with a better midrange. However, there are plenty of speakers that measure quite well in the mid range with 6”, 6.5”, even 8” woofers. It really depends on much more than just the nominal diameter of the woofer.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis