Crossover not working??

bread29

bread29

Junior Audioholic
I played the warble tones from my HSU/BAS test cd and I noticed that the tones at 100-125hz were playing through my multiple subwoofers. The internal crossover on my Yamaha rx-v863 is engaged at 80hz for all speakers...I thought that meant everything below 80 was sent to the subwoofer and everything above were distributed to the speakers??

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
Crossover settings are not a brick wall when it comes to cutting off frequencies. Rather it is a gradual slope. Different products have slightly different roll offs. So yes you will hear or feel (if you put your hand on sub) the frequencies that surround the crossover point. I can feel my VTF-15h slightly moving with frequencies higher that my crossover of 80hz.

As long as your speakers are set to small then im sure your crossover is working just fine.

If your sub starts to sound like a tweeter then id be worried :-o
haha!!

bread29

bread29

Junior Audioholic
I also forgot to mention that the opposite is true as well: my floorstanding Klipsch speakers are playing the tones down to 40hz!?? That's well below the 80hz crossover and I'm concerned it's not engaging at all....

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
That doesn't sound right. Make sure you don't have a "pure direct" or "source direct" function turned on, as this will bypass all bass management.

How is the device you are playing the tones on connected to the receiver? If multichannel analog, the bass management is handled by the player.

Last edited:
timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
If those frequencies are playing at pretty powerful levels then something may be set wrong. If they are detectable but barely there then im sure your good. I agree that you should check to make sure you dont have Direct/Pure activated or that you speakers are set to Large+Mains. Again, make sure they are small. Keep us informed!...

bread29

bread29

Junior Audioholic
I thought that was the case, that I was using some sort of "source" surround option that was disengaging the crossover, but I just double-checked. I placed it on the DSP modes of "Standard" and "Drama" and the Klipsch are outputting down to the 40-50hz range with all subs turned off. The subwoofers are outputting to the 125-160hz range with my ear right next to the woofer...?? I am perplexed.

j_garcia

j_garcia

Audioholic Jedi
I thought that was the case, that I was using some sort of "source" surround option that was disengaging the crossover, but I just double-checked. I placed it on the DSP modes of "Standard" and "Drama" and the Klipsch are outputting down to the 40-50hz range with all subs turned off. The subwoofers are outputting to the 125-160hz range with my ear right next to the woofer...?? I am perplexed.
Depending on the slopes imposed by your receiver, your speakers could easily be playing sounds one octave above and below the x-over, so down to 40Hz and up to 160Hz. That you hear sounds at those levels may not be an issue, as timoteo mentioned. What matters is, when they are playing together, do they sound like they blend correctly?

bread29

bread29

Junior Audioholic
Ok...this is the first time that I have ran the test tones and it seemed that getting strong output above and below the crossover was somehow wrong. If it is the slope of the receiver, then I shouldn't be worried?

I re-checked settings again: Receiver crossover set to 80hz, all speakers set to small, LFE only outputting to subwoofer. I'm playing the test cd through a samsung blu-ray via HDMI. The receiver is hooked via pre-outs to an Emotiva UPA-5....if that helps.

timoteo

timoteo

Audioholic General
Yes you have everything setup correctly. To me it sounds like you are just hearing the crossover bleed. Like J.Garcia said, as long as everything blends well & your not getting distortion a your highest listening levels then your receiver is doing its job.

Ive never personally heard of a receiver's crossover malfunctioning but im sure it is possible.

Try this, go back & forth between Stereo & Pure Direct but have the subwoofers turned off. You should hear a distict difference in the bass output. With the subs off, Stereo should be thinner with Pure Direct sounding fuller. This should tell you if the crossover is working.

bread29

bread29

Junior Audioholic
Switched between Stereo and Pure Direct. Much fuller sound through the floorstanders....Thanks!

X

xWARHOUNDx

Audiophyte
I would reset the reciever and start from scratch just to know where everything was.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis