crossover frequencies

D

Dhiru

Audiophyte
Good Morning

I really need help setting the cross frequencies, as i cant the right sound. This is my setup below
R700 Floor standing Speaker
R200c Center Channel Speaker
R100 Bookshelf Speaker
R50 Dolby Atmos-Enabled Speaker 2 pairs
Velodyne Optimum 8 Inch Subwoofer

Denon AVR-X7200WA.
SONY TA-N9000ES Power amp

Please if someone could help to setup crossover i would appreciate and great full.

everettT

everettT

Audioholic Spartan
I'm curious about the sub choice also. I'd say that the R700s f6 and the Velodynes F3 are not that far apart. I can't find a 3db party measurment of the sub, so assuming velodynes f3 of 26hz and stereophiles f6 of 32hz you could probably run the KEFs full range with music and not tell much difference

D

Dhiru

Audiophyte
Thanks you the reply
Yeah I know made the wrong choice of the sub. I used SPL METER rather than Audyssey and I have all the speakers to small,
Right now I have
Main speaker to 90hz
Centre to 90hz
Surround to 110hz
Surround back to 150hz
Atmos to 110hz
Denon LFE 120h
And on sub I set t 80hz

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Thanks you the reply
Yeah I know made the wrong choice of the sub. I used SPL METER rather than Audyssey and I have all the speakers to small,
Right now I have
Main speaker to 90hz
Centre to 90hz
Surround to 110hz
Surround back to 150hz
Atmos to 110hz
Denon LFE 120h
And on sub I set t 80hz
I'd try Audyssey. Why are you cascading filters with the sub's low pass filter with the avr's low pass filter? I'd max out the low pass filter on the sub, particularly at the crossovers you're using. I agree with EverettT that that sub probably isn't that much more capable than your R700s. Did you use the sub's dsp at all?

D

Dhiru

Audiophyte
So shall I max out on the sub to low pass filter and shall I leave on amp LFE 120hz?. So have set the rest of frequencies correct or does is need to change? Sorry I am not much educated on this field does it mean sub dsp using the mic to collaborate.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
So shall I max out on the sub to low pass filter and shall I leave on amp LFE 120hz?. So have set the rest of frequencies correct or does is need to change? Sorry I am not much educated on this field does it mean sub dsp using the mic to collaborate.
Yes, max out the low pass filter on the sub as you are combining that (cascading) with the low pass filter the avr is providing in the crossover. LPF of LFE is normally set to 120hz so I'd leave it there. The crossovers at 110 to 150 may be a bit high considering your sub's +/- 3dB rating is 26-120hz (it may work somewhat well above 120 considering their other undefined rating of 16-240hz) but I didn't review the speaker details. I think you might want a sub with better capabilities on either end of the range for more flexibility, tho.

Yes, I noted your sub has some room eq and I assume uses some sort of mic to work. Perhaps use this dsp/room eq instead of Audyssey, or use it first then run Audyssey afterwards. I would run Audyssey just to see how well it would work (or not) for you rather than simply not using it, it should yield better results than a simple spl meter....

Last edited:
D

Dhiru

Audiophyte
Thank you for the info and advice. I will try it out in morning.

D

Dhiru

Audiophyte
Hi I done the setting you recommend sounds much better, what frequency would you recommend me to set for:
Surround
Surround back
And 2 paid of Atmos modules
Cheers lovinthhd

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hi I done the setting you recommend sounds much better, what frequency would you recommend me to set for:
Surround
Surround back
And 2 paid of Atmos modules
Cheers lovinthhd
Usually not lower than the speakers' f3 (-3dB point on lower frequency response) but I didn't look up the specs of your speakers. Generally I'd say start at 80 and experiment from there. If you run Audyssey don't change the crossover to a lower than recommended crossover, raising them is fine.

Y

yepimonfire

Audioholic Samurai
Thanks you the reply
Right now I have
Main speaker to 90hz
Centre to 90hz
Surround to 110hz
Surround back to 150hz
Atmos to 110hz
Denon LFE 120h
And on sub I set t 80hz
You can't use an spl meter to set a sub level, it will always read wrong. The only way to do it manually is to use an RTA and multi channel 30-120hz band limited pink noise on the LFE channel, adjusting for 10dB of in band gain. Use audyssey to set the level and just turn it off if you don't want the EQ.

Also, not to beat a dead horse but your speakers can probably displace more volume if air than that sub.

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk

Last edited:
D

Dhiru

Audiophyte
Hi whats subwoofer would you recommed me to buy, to go with KEF R700:

SVS SB4000 Gloss Black Subwoofer
SVS PB12 Plus Gloss Black Subwoofer

Velodyne SPL-1000 Ultra Subwoofer
SVS PB13 Ultra DSP Gloss Black Subwoofer

D

Dhiru

Audiophyte
Good Morning
I have changed some speakers and sub now could someone please guide to set the cross frequencies, and best setting for sub. This is my setup below
R700 Floor standing Speaker
R600c Center Channel Speaker
R300 Bookshelf Speaker
R50 Dolby Atmos-Enabled Speaker 2 pairs
SVS SB4000
Denon AVR-X7200WA.
SONY TA-N9000ES Power amp

Please if someone could help to setup crossover i would appreciate and great full.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis