crossover freq settings?

R

roberts

Audiophyte
I have these in my HT. HK AVR130, Athena AS-F2 for fronts, AS-C1 for centre, AS-B1 for surround and a velodyne 10in sub. my question is what is the best crossover freq settings for these because my receiver allows diff setting per speakers. from what i read THX suggest 80 Hz. also, where do i set the crossover freq of the sub? i am new at this. do i set all the speakers to "small' or "large"?

Thanks in advance.

M

MDS

Audioholic Spartan
Set all speakers to small. 80Hz is almost univerally the right crossover frequency, but you could go lower if your speakers can go lower than 80 Hz. The general rule is 1/2 to 1 octave above the F3 point of the least capable speaker (the speaker will have a spec like 60Hz - 20 kHz +/-3dB).

If you use the crossover in the receiver, you want to bypass the crossover in the sub. Some subs have a switch to disable the internal crossover. If it doesn't, turn the sub crossover up as high as it will go to get it out of the way (ie set it higher than the crossover point you chose in the receiver).

N

nm2285

Senior Audioholic
The F2's can play pretty low. They should hit the higher bass notes more accurately than your sub. Therefore, I'd set that one around 60 Hz. For the other two speakers, 80 should do fine.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis