Crossover advice Definitive Technology 1000 series

C

cmtribbl

Enthusiast
Sorry I was too quick to respond, and you are correct that the satellites were measured separately. So the graphs show the -6 dBpoint is 45 Hz. However, the fact that the -3 dB point is 150 Hz, YPAO did pick a reasonable point of 110 Hz. Hard to know what his in room response it, so there is no harm trying a little lower, say 100 Hz, but without seeing the in room response curves, it is safer
I think 120 Hz is a good bet. How far do you sit, and how far are your speakers and sub from the wall?

Generally speaking raising the crossover to 120-150 Hz will in fact put more bass to the subwoofer and allow the satellites to be more at ease focusing more on the mid bass that they are designed to handle. The only drawback would be localized bass, in a smaller room that should not be an issue unless you set the XO point even higher than 150 Hz.
I sit about 10 feet away from the tv. Front L,R, and center are 11 inches away from the wall. Sub is in a corner at 8 inches away from the wall. Surround speakers are on a wall mount. Distance from my seating position:

Front L: 8.4 ft
Front R: 10 ft
Center: 9.2 ft
Surround L: 11 ft
Surround R: 9.6 ft
Subwoofer: 8.8 ft

I have my system set up in a 2 car garage the has been enclosed.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Zieglij01,

Thank you for your feedback. Yeah the YPAO set the crossover at 110. I have played around with the crossover between 80-110. I honestly can not tell a difference. The YPAO sticks with 110 when I run the sound test based off of my current seating position. So should I leave it at 110?

Current configuration is as follows:
Front speakers - small
Center - small
surround - small
crossover -110

Level is as follows:
Front L -0 db
Front R -0 db
Center 0 db
Surround L +2.5
Surround R + 2.0
Subwoofer 0 db

Not sure why it put the surround at those db points? Just figured the YPAO knows what it is doing.
As far as various levels for your speakers, they're basically an adjustment made to provide the same level at your seat, and would be based on the mixture of the speakers' sensitivity and distance from your seat. If you can't tell a difference at 110 I'd just leave it there (and yes, this puts more of the work on the sub at 110 than if you move it lower, which would shift the "load" to your speakers).

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
I sit about 10 feet away from the tv. Front L,R, and center are 11 inches away from the wall. Sub is in a corner at 8 inches away from the wall. Surround speakers are on a wall mount. Distance from my seating position:

Front L: 8.4 ft
Front R: 10 ft
Center: 9.2 ft
Surround L: 11 ft
Surround R: 9.6 ft
Subwoofer: 8.8 ft
I was concerned about the limited output of the RX-V385. A quick trip to the peak calculator help determine that you should be marginally fine even if you listen to reference level. I used 87 dB sensitivity instead of the specified 90 dB in case those speakers are closer to 4 ohms than the specified 8 ohms nominal.

The satellites do need the sub to help, especially if you listen at loud (near reference level),setting XO to 110 or 120, up to 150 Hz should help a little.

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

1550534169348.png

Last edited:
C

cmtribbl

Enthusiast
I was concerned about the limited output of the RX-V385. A quick trip the the peak calculator help determine that you should be marginally fine even if you listen to reference level. I used 87 dB sensitivity instead of the specified 90 dB in case those speakers are closer to 4 ohms than the specified 8 ohms nominal.

The satellites do need the sub to help, especially if you listen at loud (near reference level),setting XO to 110 or 120, up to 150 Hz should help a little.

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/splcalculator.html

View attachment 28287
Awesome,

Thank you for being so helpful. I appreciate your time.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Awesome,

Thank you for being so helpful. I appreciate your time.
You are very welcome. By the way, I edited my post when I noticed I punched in the wrong output number for the RX-V385. It is only rated 70 W (I thought it was 90 W) per channel, two channel driven.

The difference in sound pressure level is insignificant. You are still in good shape, just don't sit much further than 10 ft and try not to listen at reference level. Reference level would be very loud to most people, it would probably be about as loud as what you may hear in a movie cinema.

C

cmtribbl

Enthusiast
You are very welcome. By the way, I edited my post when I noticed I punched in the wrong output number for the RX-V385. It is only rated 70 W (I thought it was 90 W) per channel, two channel driven.

The difference in sound pressure level is insignificant. You are still in good shape, just don't sit much further than 10 ft and try not to listen at reference level. Reference level would be very loud to most people, it would probably be about as loud as what you may hear in a movie cinema.
What would reference level be?

C

cmtribbl

Enthusiast

Scratch that I now understand what the db stands for. -/+db stands for a maximum volume limit.

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
Scratch that I now understand what the db stands for. -/+db stands for a maximum volume limit.
You got it, if you ran Audyssey properly, you should reach reference level (within a couple dB of 85 dB C scale) with volume set to 0 in the relative scale.

O

OneOcean

Audiophyte
I run my Definitive Technology ProMonitor 100s as "Large" through my subwoofer's In/Out connections and use its manual crossover set between 100-120Hz after testing with my experienced ears. The ProMonitor 1000 is pretty much the same speaker with 5.25" mid and 1" tweeter in same size/shape enclosure. Your YPAO nailed it at 110Hz. DT claims the PM 100s have a useable low range to 40Hz, which is fake news. This speaker starts noticeably drop out at around 110 Hz, which is a higher tone than the lowest string a guitar, basically no bass. DT claims the PM 1000s have a range to 47Hz. This is also 4 Pinocchios. These PM 100 and PM 1000 speakers sound terrific when paired up to a good sub with the crossover set to around 110Hz. They are not ideal for an AVR with a fixed crossover of 80Hz like many that THX certified. One way or another, one should run these great small speakers with a good sub and crossover set to around 110Hz.

BTW, I think the best speakers in the DT ProCinema lines, past and present, are those with the 5.25" drivers including the ProMonitor 100, ProMonitor 1000, ProCenter C2, and the ProCenter 2000. I have tried most of the others including the much larger ProMonitor 200 with 6.5" driver and the smaller ProCenter 100, ProMonitor 80, and ProMonitor 800 with 4.5" drivers. In my opinion, they just don't sound as good as the ProCinema speakers with the 5.25" drivers.

After getting the sub crossover dialed in, the next challenge is matching a center speaker with the PM 100s or PM 1000s. Based on their names and packages, DT seems to want you to match your 5.25" main speakers with a Center with the smaller 4.5" drivers. This provides the best volume balance between the mains and center, however there is a big difference in timbre between the mains and the smaller center. The mids produced by the 5.25" drivers are far superior those produced by the 4.5" drivers. A better choice, imo, is using a Center with matching 5.25" drivers. The compromise is that these Centers are louder than the mains so you will have to use your AVR's channel trim to compensate for about 4dB of difference in output. Depending on how you connect your sub, this could cause an unwanted difference in bass response between the main and center channels.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis