Cross over set at 80Hz!..is this the norm?

J

jostenmeat

Audioholic Spartan
So Audyssey corrects every speaker to "flat" (or whatever curve it chooses) through some range (presumably 20-20k on the mains).
Again, it only starts correcting from the F3. If Audyssey detects rolloff at 84hz with a speaker, then it will calibrate only from 84hz on up. As I've implied, I am less sure how things work with the sub. I should also note that you can't learn everything* about their tech, because they do protect their intellectual property. For instance, Chris won't tell you what the exact tolerance is for the distance measurement, but instead will tell you that it's finer than 0.1 ft.

If, for example, I have some Bose cube as a FR main, it will try to adjust it flat 20-20k (within whatever +db limitation the software imposes). In actual play, no signal may come in some of that range (below crossover), but Audyssey has stored and applied correction information to the FR speaker for the entire range
No. It will find the F3 to be at 250hz (unless there is serious boundary reinforcement as gene has pointed out for us), and therefore will only calibrate from 250hz and up. Nothing below. Sure you can still put the xover lower, but all of that passband is uncalibrated. This has actually come up before where a consumer was totally baffled why his Bose cube was only calibrated from 250hz up. I guess he then realized he had a true POS in his hand.

avliner

avliner

Audioholic Chief
...My subwoofer is crossed at 80hz. Still, since xovers are not brick walls, I leave the LFE LPF at the maximum of 120hz available with my Onkyo...
Let me see if I got this straight though:

my HT system has a 7.1 SVS speaker setup, being:

* 03 X SCS-01;
* 04 X SBS-01;
* 01 X PB-10 ISD SW;
* Denon 2809CI AVR.

I have my SW crossed at 120Hz (in Denon XO setup menu), the front array crossed at 80Hz and the surrounds at 90Hz. All speakers set to small and to my ears the sound is just awesome... Is there anything I'm doing wrong regarding to the XO settings??

fabiocz

fabiocz

Audioholic
Can the difference between crossovers exceed 20 hz or not a good idea? Ex: 5 speakers 80hz and 4 speakers 110hz ?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Can the difference between crossovers exceed 20 hz or not a good idea? Ex: 5 speakers 80hz and 4 speakers 110hz ?
Sure, but you realize you're asking of a thread over 8 years old?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis