critical drinker is my spirit animal

Pedro Alvarado

Pedro Alvarado

Full Audioholic
how am i just now hearing about this guy, he is dead on accurate with his reviews...

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
how am i just now hearing about this guy, he is dead on accurate with his reviews...

I love the Critical Drinker super good reviews always makes me laugh. And usually if he likes it I do as well. There's a new Netflix show he was raving about that I'm super stoked to get into

As soon as I finish the Witcher

Pedro Alvarado

Pedro Alvarado

Full Audioholic
Love that guy. He's commented on some of my replies about the crapfest Star Trek has become.
seems all i am missing is disappointment since i left at the same time picard did
thanks for the heads up

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
One more reason why I love this guy as a reviewer one of the best breakdowns of the Watchmen I ever heard. One of my all time favorite super hero movies of all time he does a great job beaking down some of the reasons why

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
So I watched a few of this guy's videos, and I agree with some of his criticisms of major movies. However, for someone who repeatedly criticizes Hollywood for politically correct identity politics, he sure does get caught up in that stuff himself on the other end of the spectrum. Some of the movies that he criticizes have a lot more going on than some of the ideological points that they might make, but he gets hung up on that stuff and seemingly can't get past it.

Furthermore, he cherry-picks film examples to make his points and ignores many contemporary examples that do not fit his narrative. It's like he is only watching the tentpole movies produced by major studios that must appeal to the widest audience possible by design. Well yeah, if you are making a movie made to be enjoyed by the largest possible audience, it will necessarily be watered down and lame. There is a lot of worthwhile stuff being produced that doesn't fit the mold he is trying to make, but he isn't bothering with any movies that have less than a 100 million dollar budget. It's like he is just watching kids movies and complaining that they are childish.

The Critical Drinker's schtick reminds me of The Filthy Critic, but Filthy didn't get quite so hung up on ideology and politics. I don't know if anyone ever read The Filthy Critic back in the day, I was a fan back in the late 90's and early 2000's. What's old is new again.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
So I watched a few of this guy's videos, and I agree with some of his criticisms of major movies. However, for someone who repeatedly criticizes Hollywood for politically correct identity politics, he sure does get caught up in that stuff himself on the other end of the spectrum. Some of the movies that he criticizes have a lot more going on than some of the ideological points that they might make, but he gets hung up on that stuff and seemingly can't get past it.

Furthermore, he cherry-picks film examples to make his points and ignores many contemporary examples that do not fit his narrative. It's like he is only watching the tentpole movies produced by major studios that must appeal to the widest audience possible by design. Well yeah, if you are making a movie made to be enjoyed by the largest possible audience, it will necessarily be watered down and lame. There is a lot of worthwhile stuff being produced that doesn't fit the mold he is trying to make, but he isn't bothering with any movies that have less than a 100 million dollar budget. It's like he is just watching kids movies and complaining that they are childish.

The Critical Drinker's schtick reminds me of The Filthy Critic, but Filthy didn't get quite so hung up on ideology and politics. I don't know if anyone ever read The Filthy Critic back in the day, I was a fan back in the late 90's and early 2000's. What's old is new again.
I feel these days its impossible not to focus some on ideology and politics it's everywhere right now it feels like unfortunately. But I'd go so far as to even suggest it's a neccesary part of art itself and may be unavoidable by its very nature.

All the way back into the time of the Roman's some of the best opportunities we have to get a glimpse into any culture and civilization is to look at what they do for entertainment especially in the arts. So I believe ideology and politics will always be interwoven into movies in some way.

I don't feel he hyperfocuses on it though I think he gets irritated with it for the same reason why a lot of us do when it's shoved down your throat. Or politics and ideaology is the story rather then just unfolding naturally from the story and the world and the characters that story is telling.

He absolutely seems to like complicated movies that get you to think about difficult things as long as it is presented in an entertaining way. That's the key word entertaining. I feel that's been lost a little sometimes in movies these days they push the message and forget about the entertainment.

Also as to what he focuses on in his reviews he is a YouTuber so a lot of his content he reviews is recommended by his subscribers. So your getting an algorithm of popular requests rather than one of his personal tastes.

I like his shtick though the drunkard angle he jokes around with he's hilarious. I'll have to look up this Filthy Critic fellow you mention it would be cool to see there parallels. Maybe he inspired some of The Critical Drinkers approach.

R

RedCharles

Full Audioholic
I feel these days its impossible not to focus some on ideology and politics it's everywhere right now it feels like unfortunately.

It is their belief, the enemies of freedom, that they must seize, not the means of production, but cultural hegemony to create the world they desire. The desires of the idle rich, their avarice, their noxious ideas are antithetical to human freedom, human flourishing. Despite the obvious success of the human spirit, they press on with their anti-human endeavor. And their anti-social, spiritually crippled anti-human acolytes cheer them on. It disgusts me. We are on the precipice of perhaps the greatest period in human history, and these supreme fools want to throw it all away.

BoredSysAdmin

BoredSysAdmin

Audioholic Slumlord

I am nowhere nearly as eloquent as James, but I agree with his remarks above. Watching a few reviews of the Drinker, in particular, about one linked in the first post about Kathleen Kennedy seemed like make lots of sense to me, but later I also see the same patterns James noticed, and very quickly he lost a subscriber.

It reminded me of (and I hate this thread to all political) watching a certain Sky news (basically same as Fox news but outside the USA) video broadcast about a political/military situation in a foreign country, and in the begging It seems like the coverage goes on fair points defending the action of that country government, but then broadcast rapidly changed into 100% full-blown QANON/Conspiracy theory nonsense, baseless and factless accusation (delivered as statements of facts). In short, I couldn't watch it any further.
Kinda feel like The Drinker video, some things and his analysis makes sense, some don't, and clearly show his views on complex social and gender issues, which seemed skewed to me.

Pedro Alvarado

Pedro Alvarado

Full Audioholic
If I ever meet Mr critical drinker I will apologize to him because i thought he was an ausie.

I had a neighbor who was a jock, my friend's wife is a jock, I also had a coworker who is a jock, and none of them sound like him.

If there are any jocks here, carlsberg is their bevy of choices.

D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
I am nowhere nearly as eloquent as James, but I agree with his remarks above. Watching a few reviews of the Drinker, in particular, about one linked in the first post about Kathleen Kennedy seemed like make lots of sense to me, but later I also see the same patterns James noticed, and very quickly he lost a subscriber.

It reminded me of (and I hate this thread to all political) watching a certain Sky news (basically same as Fox news but outside the USA) video broadcast about a political/military situation in a foreign country, and in the begging It seems like the coverage goes on fair points defending the action of that country government, but then broadcast rapidly changed into 100% full-blown QANON/Conspiracy theory nonsense, baseless and factless accusation (delivered as statements of facts). In short, I couldn't watch it any further.
Kinda feel like The Drinker video, some things and his analysis makes sense, some don't, and clearly show his views on complex social and gender issues, which seemed skewed to me.
I never felt that way.

I don't think he has skewed issues of social and gender. I did notice he gets irritated when those points get pushed in front of the art and entertainment of the story and the film. Or as he jokingly calls it when they push THE MESSAGE.

I can see where hes coming from. I want to be entertained and yes with entertaining I want thar to transcend into other complex issues. But none of us are stupid. If they let it unfold naturally from the story where I can really connect to the characters I love it. But when it gets preached at you it's like listening to a bright speaker that has too much sibilance. The experience turns into fatigue real quickly

As far as his takes on pacing script artistic vision the story plot pacing and dialogue being on track I feel he usually hits it spot on

I will say when a movie comes across that isn't preachy he does get a little carried away in his enthusiasm for it but with all the PC social justice Cancel culture stuff that has just kindoff gotten a little out of hand the last few years I think it's just refreshing to view a creation from an artist that just cares more about expressing the truth of the story more then there worried about being perfectly correct or if they've offended anyone

Last edited:
D

Danzilla31

Audioholic Spartan
If I ever meet Mr critical drinker I will apologize to him because i thought he was an ausie.

I had a neighbor who was a jock, my friend's wife is a jock, I also had a coworker who is a jock, and none of them sound like him.

If there are any jocks here, carlsberg is their bevy of choices.
He's also a very talented writer I didn't know that. He's written a lot of good fiction and cowritten with some pretty popular writers. I'll have to find that link where I read that on YouTube

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis