Couple questions about Yamaha RX-A3060

Hasan Alnajdi

Hasan Alnajdi

Full Audioholic
Hey guys.. I am playing London has fallen and I gotta say its a huge improvement.. for once DTS:X lived to its reputation.. perhaps the other movies weren't mixed such as this one

Hasan Alnajdi

Hasan Alnajdi

Full Audioholic
Hey guys.. I am still searching to evaluate my current gear and I found this site that reviewed my subs http://hometheaterreview.com/polk-psw125-powered-subwoofer-reviewed/
I have to say I am very satisfied with sound quality with my 11.2 overall and I can't imagine what difference it will make if I bought another set.. this site gives my subs 4 stars.. and most reviews I found were satisfied with performance overall.. what do you guys think?

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Hello hasan! I hope you don't mind me being frank, but that review was from 2010, and I would say it was generous overall. The reviewer did say it came up a little short on movies, and I would also think this to be an understatement. Please understand I'm not picking on the Polk, but until I get a chance to look at specs I'm going to say it would make a decent mid bass module. Maybe....
You said you watched Olympus has fallen and I recall that movie to have an insane sub killing track that goes down into the single digits. The polk125 will probably roll off around 35hz(just an estimate) and won't do tracks like that any justice. You might think I'm off, but once you experience a true subwoofer, you'll understand. Hope you don't think I'm being mean. I just want to be honest with you.

Hasan Alnajdi

Hasan Alnajdi

Full Audioholic
Hello hasan! I hope you don't mind me being frank, but that review was from 2010, and I would say it was generous overall. The reviewer did say it came up a little short on movies, and I would also think this to be an understatement. Please understand I'm not picking on the Polk, but until I get a chance to look at specs I'm going to say it would make a decent mid bass module. Maybe....
You said you watched Olympus has fallen and I recall that movie to have an insane sub killing track that goes down into the single digits. The polk125 will probably roll off around 35hz(just an estimate) and won't do tracks like that any justice. You might think I'm off, but once you experience a true subwoofer, you'll understand. Hope you don't think I'm being mean. I just want to be honest with you.
On the contrary I want and appreciate your true opinion.. the thing is I cant compare it with any other sub for there aren't any available.. I found some guys who can bring speakers and subs from abroad upon request but I can't seem to find away to be fully sure of what I'm buying.. the other thing I'm learning is room space and building material in addition to positioning can affect sound quality.. that's another variable to add to the equation.. if you were in my shoes what would you do? :)

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Good question. What is available to you for subwoofer manufacturers?sorry if you said already. Given your good experience overall, I would look to upgrade subwoofage first. Your right too, room size and positioning are critical. Let's see what's available to you.

Hasan Alnajdi

Hasan Alnajdi

Full Audioholic
Good question. What is available to you for subwoofer manufacturers?sorry if you said already. Given your good experience overall, I would look to upgrade subwoofage first. Your right too, room size and positioning are critical. Let's see what's available to you.
The ones I saw was jbl, b&w, and goldenear.. plus paradigm and definite technology going to be available soon..
I will also call the guys who order from abroad and ask them tomorrow and see what can they bring.. it's 3:22 am here so obviously I can't call now..

Basically, all everything available in the country is at xcite.com

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Cool. I will check that link. What we have here and recommend are usually, Rythmik, PSA, SVS, HSU and the like. I will check in later. Workin in the yard now...
You should get some sleep! Don't you know it's after 3:00am.

Hasan Alnajdi

Hasan Alnajdi

Full Audioholic
Cool. I will check that link. What we have here and recommend are usually, Rythmik, PSA, SVS, HSU and the like. I will check in later. Workin in the yard now...
You should get some sleep! Don't you know it's after 3:00am.
Appreciate your help.. and I am a night person.. and since the holy month of Ramadan is coming I am only warming up.. after around 10 days there will be no sleeping at night :)

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
Hey guys.. I am still searching to evaluate my current gear and I found this site that reviewed my subs http://hometheaterreview.com/polk-psw125-powered-subwoofer-reviewed/
I have to say I am very satisfied with sound quality with my 11.2 overall and I can't imagine what difference it will make if I bought another set.. this site gives my subs 4 stars.. and most reviews I found were satisfied with performance overall.. what do you guys think?
That blog does have reviews from Brent Butterworth on occasion for subs, those are more thorough and include measurements, this one appears to be a very lightweight review (maybe just to please a sponsor), and from their description seems they rated it a bit higher than it deserved, but without measurements, its just another subjective review.....most of which I generally find useless.

The difference between this and a better quality sub would be apparent IMO, especially at higher spls and at material with lower frequency content; the Polk sub doesn't dig very deep at all, -3dB spec I found is 34hz (subs to my way of thinking should have at least a -3dB point of 20hz), and who knows at what spl or distortion levels. Depends on your use as to whether you may be satisfied with something like this. If obtained at a big enough discount I suppose the value of the Polk would be more acceptable, but I think it's overpriced at MSRP, maybe at the $150-200 range.

We are spoiled here in the US for sub choices, though. :)

Hasan Alnajdi

Hasan Alnajdi

Full Audioholic
That blog does have reviews from Brent Butterworth on occasion for subs, those are more thorough and include measurements, this one appears to be a very lightweight review (maybe just to please a sponsor), and from their description seems they rated it a bit higher than it deserved, but without measurements, its just another subjective review.....most of which I generally find useless.

The difference between this and a better quality sub would be apparent IMO, especially at higher spls and at material with lower frequency content; the Polk sub doesn't dig very deep at all, -3dB spec I found is 34hz (subs to my way of thinking should have at least a -3dB point of 20hz), and who knows at what spl or distortion levels. Depends on your use as to whether you may be satisfied with something like this. If obtained at a big enough discount I suppose the value of the Polk would be more acceptable, but I think it's overpriced at MSRP, maybe at the $150-200 range.

We are spoiled here in the US for sub choices, though. :)
You're sure are :)
Well as I said it's a new market here and it's gonna catch up.. I will see these fellas who order from abroad and check what they have to offer.. hopefully some good :)

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I agree with Bill and HD. One thing I learned as I shopped speakers and read many, many reviews is that you can find a great review for almost any speaker made. That's why I like stuff backed up with measurements.

Those measurements can help tell the story of what a sub is capable of. When proper measurements aren't listed the review it's purely subjective and what sounds good to me might sound like crap to you, et al. IMO subjective reviews are a crap shoot and can even be colored to show favor for a sponsor.

Hasan Alnajdi

Hasan Alnajdi

Full Audioholic
I agree with Bill and HD. One thing I learned as I shopped speakers and read many, many reviews is that you can find a great review for almost any speaker made. That's why I like stuff backed up with measurements.

Those measurements can help tell the story of what a sub is capable of. When proper measurements aren't listed the review it's purely subjective and what sounds good to me might sound like crap to you, et al. IMO subjective reviews are a crap shoot and can even be colored to show favor for a sponsor.
Well, this is what I found mostly online.. it seems the subs are old even that's why no recent reviews on them.. however I still don't know what specs I should consider?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Well, this is what I found mostly online.. it seems the subs are old even that's why no recent reviews on them.. however I still don't know what specs I should consider?
Look for +/- 3db measurements. A sub might be measured to play down to 20hz, but if it's 15db down at 20hz it's pretty useless. To be within +/- 3db through its capable range is what you want. I would be looking for something that can play at volume down to 20hz. Especially if the main focus is movies.

Hasan Alnajdi

Hasan Alnajdi

Full Audioholic
Look for +/- 3db measurements. a sub might be measured to play down to 20hz, but if it's 15db down at 20hz it's pretty useless. To be within 3db through its capable range is what you want.
Got it.. thanks

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I edited in another sentence or 2 I thought of after I posted.

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Got it.. thanks
For now I say just keep what you have and keep looking around. If you find something interesting post it up here and we'll help you figure out what it can do. What's your situation like as far as any internet direct or online ordering?

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
If you want to see a variety of measurements for subs by a respected third-party tester, try Josh Ricci's site www.data-bass.com . Read the articles on subs and how they're measured. He unfortunately can't test every sub out there but he's got a wide variety of both commercial and diy subs on there....

William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
Appreciate your help.. and I am a night person.. and since the holy month of Ramadan is coming I am only warming up.. after around 10 days there will be no sleeping at night :)
Atta boy! We'll get you hooked up.

Hasan Alnajdi

Hasan Alnajdi

Full Audioholic
For now I say just keep what you have and keep looking around. If you find something interesting post it up here and we'll help you figure out what it can do. What's your situation like as far as any internet direct or online ordering?
I have a mailbox in usa and uk through shipping company but their rate for heavy items is quite expensive.. I can order anything I want but it wouldn't be cost efficient

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis