could use some help w/amp decision.

E

enrique

Full Audioholic
I've been asking around looking for advice.I've come down between 2 amps that i think i may get when the time comes,but would like to get some feedback first.The amps are a PS Audio Trio A100(used)150x2 and Rotel RB1072(new)100x2.Both these amps are low profile and cool running which fit my needs and preferences.Unfortunately not many reviews atleast with the rotel.I'm hoping and asking for any feedback on these amps.The amp would be used with a rotel rsx1056 with 4-8ohm/90db speakers.thanks

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
I have the 1077, and it does exactly what it was designed to do, which is to be really small and really cool running.

if you are from htguide.com, you must have an impression that the 100wpc digital modules can brew your coffee and walk the dog, but this just isn't so (at least for me - people there say 99% of the people like how the 1077 "sounds", I must be in the 1% - lucky me) ... it does exactly what it's supposed to, if you want louder and more powerful, I suggest you look at the 1092 series instead.

Last edited:
E

enrique

Full Audioholic
btw, how much is the 1072 over there?
It's 899. less discount.But i'm a little confused as to what you said.You dont like how it sounds ref. being the 1%?What exactly is it supposed to do?

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
what I mean is that, it shouldn't sound like anything ... only the source and speakers should have their own sound. I was thinking that I was within the 1% that don't think this amp makes my speakers sound "better", it's a good amp because independent reviewers have tested this amp with all channels driven, and it can punch out 125wpc x 7 in a teeny tiny box.

we both have the same requirements, small space and minimal heat generated (because my dvd player is on top) ... it does both in spades.

E

enrique

Full Audioholic
what I mean is that, it shouldn't sound like anything ... only the source and speakers should have their own sound. I was thinking that I was within the 1% that don't think this amp makes my speakers sound "better", it's a good amp because independent reviewers have tested this amp with all channels driven, and it can punch out 125wpc x 7 in a teeny tiny box.

we both have the same requirements, small space and minimal heat generated (because my dvd player is on top) ... it does both in spades.
Thats good,i'm assuming the 1072 and 1077 are about the same except for number of channels.So you know i had purchased a sunfire 300x2 and did not like the way it sounded,my rec alone sounded better.gives some validity to what your saying.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
if you research for 1077 reviews, you'll see pics of the inside of the 1077. you'll notice that there are seven digital modules BUT, two of them are bigger than the other 5... I figure that those two are for the fronts, and I am assuming that the 1072 will have at least those two big modules OR something better (having all that space in the amp to themselves)

E

enrique

Full Audioholic
jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Outlaw Monoblock

thanks,but it's too big.I'd actually like to stick between the 2 i mentioned or similar.thanks again
FYI, two of the outlaw monoblocks stacked would only be 3.5" high. Only half an inch higher than the rotel and double the power.

E

enrique

Full Audioholic
FYI, two of the outlaw monoblocks stacked would only be 3.5" high. Only half an inch higher than the rotel and double the power.
Are they cool running.This is very important to me.I know the trio and rotel are as well as low profile.I'm actually thinking the rotel would be my best bet being same mfg.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
outlaw actually recommends that the monoblocks can be stacked, I'm guessing they should at least be cool running for them to be stacked. if you read the description of the monoblocks, it's some sort of hybrid amp (class G and AB)

oh and FYI, the Rotel can double down on a 4 ohm load. (i.e. 200wpc @ 4 ohms)

Last edited:
P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
outlaw actually recommends that the monoblocks can be stacked, I'm guessing they should at least be cool running for them to be stacked. if you read the description of the monoblocks, it's some sort of hybrid amp (class G and AB)

Mike, the Outlaw is rated 200 W into 8 ohms and 300 w into 4 ohms 20-20,000 Hz, THD<0.05%. To me, the Outlaw is a more powerful amp. It does not double down but theorectically Outlaw could have rated it 150 W into 8 ohms and 300 W into 4 ohms if they wanted to claim it can double down.

That being said, I prefer the Rotel amps. I don't know enough about this class AB/G scheme to feel comfortable with it.

E

enrique

Full Audioholic

Thanks,i actually downloaded the manual for the rb1072 at 8ohm it's 100 and 190 at 4ohms.I think i'll opt for the rb1072 when it's time.Same mfg. also appeals to me,being that i have the rotel reciever.

mike c

mike c

Audioholic Warlord
Mike, the Outlaw is rated 200 W into 8 ohms and 300 w into 4 ohms 20-20,000 Hz, THD<0.05%. To me, the Outlaw is a more powerful amp. It does not double down but theorectically Outlaw could have rated it 150 W into 8 ohms and 300 W into 4 ohms if they wanted to claim it can double down.

That being said, I prefer the Rotel amps. I don't know enough about this class AB/G scheme to feel comfortable with it.
I agree.

I think that the first 80w is class AB and the rest is class G (source: secrets review)

R

riceaterslc

Audioholic
Are they cool running.This is very important to me.
i am currently running 5 of these. i have a stack of 4 and they do not get hot at all. you can feel some warmth after 2 hours of use, but it is by no means hot compared to my old sony AVR

P

PENG

Audioholic Slumlord
A slight hijack here. What are the down sides to an amp design like the Outlaw monoblock? Based on price size and power one would think there would mentioned more often, especially with the low profile.

http://www.outlawaudio.com/support/faq_200.html

Nick
No matter how negligibly small, there is still a delay when it switches from class A/B to G and vice versa. Their claim that the effects of such switching delays are not detectable by human is likely true, but it is one more thing that can potentially go wrong one day. I do agree if you consider the Power/Price ratio, they are hard to beat. I am considering getting one for my center channel. For my music system I would stick with conventional class A/B amps.

Last edited:
R

riceaterslc

Audioholic
A slight hijack here. What are the down sides to an amp design like the Outlaw monoblock?
the only major downside i have come across so far is finding enough outlets. i am using a belkin PF60 for power protection and am quickly running out of outlets between 5 amps, pre/pro, display, dvd player, etc. i have never heard a break in sound when the amps switch between the two classes, but like PENG said, the possibility is there for the switch to go bad.

jcPanny

jcPanny

Audioholic Ninja
Class G amps

FYI
All of the higher end Emotiva Amps are class G. From my limited understanding, class G is similar to A/B but it switches to a higher power rail to output more power with greater efficiency. You can stack a pre-pro right on top of any of the Emotiva Amps and you can stack the Outlaw monoblocks, so I would consider that "cool running".

Speaking of switching, what do you think a class A/B amp does? It switches from Class A at low power to Class B at higher power. A digital "switching" amp like the rotel is switching all of the time. The output transistors are eigher ON or OFF and nothing in between. Any of the amps listed should work great for your application, but compared to Class A/B and G, digital switching amps are the newer and less proven design topology.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis