Could use some advice for HT speaker issues.

R

Rick rick

Audiophyte
I am in the process of converting a room into a HT. My front wall will be where I will be placing a screen, my fronts and center and 2 subs. The wall is 111". I have removed an existing bookcase and will build a cabinet across the bottom to house my equipment and subs. I would like to have as large a screen as possible, looking at Severtson 110" 4K Acoustic screen. My issues become type and locations of speakers. I can build a false wall up to the 24" depth of the cabinet. I am considering Sonance Cinema LCR1($1000 ea) in wall for the fronts and Cinema Surrounds .5S for surrounds. Other options would be to place book shelf speakers on a shelf behind the screen as well.
Some concerns:Are the Sonance a bit out dated, and expensive, and are there better options?hard to find some to hear.
If I build shelf and encase a good bookshelf speaker, how much will I confuse the speaker if they are encased?
Any reccomendations would be greatly appreciated..
Thanks.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
What you don't want to do is place bookshelf speakers in cavities behind the screen. They will not work well in that placement. This is an application for in-wall speakers. I don't know how sonance compares with other brands. If you wanted to be safe, look at THX certified in-walls from Klipsch or KEF.

R

Rick rick

Audiophyte
Thx for response on bookshelf.. Kinda figured a good bookshelf was out of the question. Sonance LCR1...theses were recommended by a Magnolia sales technician. Haven't really been able to find any to hear.. So this post becomes a "Does any have strong reccomendations and experience with In wall speakers and a reccomendations.. Thx shady for KEF and Klipsch recommendation.

WaynePflughaupt

WaynePflughaupt

Audioholic Samurai

I am considering Sonance Cinema LCR1($1000 ea) in wall for the fronts and Cinema Surrounds .5S for surrounds.
Hard to find much on those speakers, but a search turned up a couple of threads at AVS, one where someone who’s heard them and thinks they aren’t worth what the cost, and another recommending RBH in-walls instead. Can’t comment on KEF and Klipsch offerings that Rick mentioned, except to say they are reputable brands.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

R

Rick rick

Audiophyte
I ended up purchasing B&W 700 Cinama Series with Maranta receiver to push them..Ah man... Absolutely fantastic...

KenM10759

KenM10759

Audioholic Samurai
Do you mean the Ci 700 series in-wall and ceiling speakers? They're a good value and I think the reason KEF recently came out with a lower-priced CI4100QL-THX speakers. They're a THX Select2 certified in-wall for $600 each.

So which models did you get? Did you go through Best Buy?

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis