Could someone help me interpret my REW results?

T

TaroTaro

Audioholic Intern
Trying out REW to see where I can improve on my setup. I'm curious what people think of my results

About my setup:
  • Using the Audyssey Mic that came with my Denon receiver
  • I'll be getting two HSU subs soon and right now I have no sub hooked up
  • Carpeted flooring on top of concrete subfloor (open living room setup)
  • There are no acoustic panels, but I want to add some in the future
  • Used an SPL meter to help calibrate the mic (microphone boost was set to +30db in Windows 10 so REW would stop complaining)
  • "Left-Center", means I was recording my left speaker in the center of my MLP.
Anyway here is the graph:
1616021320361.png

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
I don't think I'd trust an Audyssey mic with REW. You should really get something like a Umik that comes with a calibration file.

How are you planning to eq? Audyssey app, MiniDSP 2x4 HD?

T

TaroTaro

Audioholic Intern
I don't think I'd trust an Audyssey mic with REW. You should really get something like a Umik that comes with a calibration file.

How are you planning to eq? Audyssey app, MiniDSP 2x4 HD?
Ahh ok, I've been reading mixed things about using the Audyssey mic, some say bad other say good enough. Trying to find a Umik but they seem sold out everywhere.

Audyssey app unless I really need something else.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
I'd guess it relates to Covid, but both of the oneas PE sells are on back order and not due in until 4/30/21 at the earliest.
Anyone know where else he might get one sooner?

Edit - you posted when I was typing.

You can certainly use the Audyssey microphone for the Audyssey app (not sure you can use a different mic as I believe the Audyssey app is exclusively calibrated for their microphone). @PENG , can you conform or deny?

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
Are you located outside the US? It looks like they're in stock on the site.
I think the Audyssey app is all you need. Have you heard about ratbuddyssey? It works really well for making tighter, more precise adjustments.
I've used it. Felt a little clunky at first, but the results were really good for me.

KEW

KEW

Audioholic Overlord
If I were in your shoes, I would go ahead and use the Audyssey mic with the app and let it do it's thing on automatic with the range set to below 300Hz*.

When you get the Umik (and Pogre's link has it in stock), then you can use REW to provide a more accurate FR for your system than Audyssey provides. Post this and ask for interpretation/assistance in determining how much more goody you might get from using Ratbuddyssey. It really depends on your system and room. Some people get great results and see no reason to go further. Pogre got good results but decided to tweak it for even better results. Either way, we have the people here to help guide you (and Pogre is one of the best for this)!

* This is my recommendation assuming quality speakers. If you are running something like the A. Jones Pioneers (which are great for the price, but limited by the budget), then you are likely to get benefits from running Audyssey full range. I appreciate that you are not disclosing what your gear is so people will be "blind" when assessing your system's performance!

Pogre

Pogre

Audioholic Slumlord
You can certainly use the Audyssey microphone for the Audyssey app (not sure you can use a different mic as I believe the Audyssey app is exclusively calibrated for their microphone).
Use it with REW tho? I've heard of folks trying it and it's generally recommended not to, I thought. I could be wrong there.
@PENG , can you conform or deny?
Yes Peng, you must conform!

:p :p

T

TaroTaro

Audioholic Intern
If I were in your shoes, I would go ahead and use the Audyssey mic with the app and let it do it's thing on automatic with the range set to below 300Hz*.

When you get the Umik (and Pogre's link has it in stock), then you can use REW to provide a more accurate FR for your system than Audyssey provides. Post this and ask for interpretation/assistance in determining how much more goody you might get from using Ratbuddyssey. It really depends on your system and room. Some people get great results and see no reason to go further. Pogre got good results but decided to tweak it for even better results. Either way, we have the people here to help guide you (and Pogre is one of the best for this)!

* This is my recommendation assuming quality speakers. If you are running something like the A. Jones Pioneers (which are great for the price, but limited by the budget), then you are likely to get benefits from running Audyssey full range. I appreciate that you are not disclosing what your gear is so people will be "blind" when assessing your system's performance!
Ok then I'll buy the app and try that, I'll need to watch some videos on how to use it beforehand.

I'm using Martin Logan 60/50/35XTi's in my setup.

carlthess40

carlthess40

Audioholic
Ahh ok, I've been reading mixed things about using the Audyssey mic, some say bad other say good enough. Trying to find a Umik but they seem sold out everywhere.

Audyssey app unless I really need something else.
I could loan mine out , you would have to pay shipping and leave me a deposit, you would get the deposit back less and fees from PayPal and shipping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TaroTaro

Audioholic Intern
I could loan mine out , you would have to pay shipping and leave me a deposit, you would get the deposit back less and fees from PayPal and shipping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks that's super nice of you! I'm pretty sure I'll be using it often so I just went ahead and bought one!

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis