Cost of installation?

• Thread starter wealreadyhaveamember
  • Start date
W

wealreadyhaveamember

Enthusiast
<font color='#000000'>I have the wonderfull opportunity to help my inlaws design a home theater system in their new-construction house. &nbsp;The contracter said that it would cost around $1000 to install the necessary in wall wiring. &nbsp;Does this sound resonable? &nbsp;

also I think that a 5.1 system would be appropriate (and I don't think that my mother in law would go for any more speakers), but perhaps it would be better to do the wiring for a 6.1 or 7.1 system for resale value. &nbsp;Any ideas?

also, should the subwoofer also have inwall wiring?

thanks</font>

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>NO!!!! &nbsp;That is very unreasonable. 1st, you say new construction. Is this house still being built? If so, adding the wiring is a cinch. Your biggest issue is planning for the placement. Even paying a dollar a foot for wiring &amp; having the electrician place it should only run about $300-$500. You can do it cheaper by placing the wiring yourself if you are comfortable doing so.
&nbsp;If the inside walls are already finished,it's a bit more complicated but not to the tune of $1000.If you have any friends that are installers for either the phone or CATV companies,talk to them. They'll either do it much cheaper or instruct you how to do it.</font>

zipper

zipper

Full Audioholic
<font color='#000000'>I should've prefaced my previous comments by saying that,if they're building a high-end home, they probably wouldn't bat an eye at an extra $1000 for wiring. But my issue would be that an apprentice electrician would probably be doing the work (not his area of expertise) &amp; the wiring would probably be some cheap 18G. And it may not even be done correctly.</font>

RLA

RLA

Audioholic Chief
Hi
You would be well served to hire a knowlegeable A/V installer or consultant
before you proceed. More often than not I have seen new construction homes that had the pre-wire done by contractors/alarm installers/home owner DIY'ers the complete pre-wire had to be abandoned and replaced
because the wire was not run correctly,in the wrong places because of poor
design, and wrong type and gauge

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis