Correct TV Picture Mode setting

L

LamontSim

Audioholic
To any and all the TV experts, gurus and techies out there, what do you think is the best or betterpicture mode to set a new TV on with the "standard", "movie or cinema" or "dynamic or vivid" as they're called by most manufacturers and especially with the Samsung's having a setting called "natural for everyday and all viewing with regular tv, movies, sports, etc.?"

Last edited:
slipperybidness

slipperybidness

Audioholic Warlord
To any and all the TV experts, gurus and techies out there, what do you think is the best picture mode to set a new TV on with the "standard", "movie or cinema" or "dynamic or vivid" as they're called by most manufacturers and especially with the Samsung's having a setting called "natural?"
Look for "Game Mode" or something similar. This will apply no processing and the least amount of latency.

You should be watching material as intended by the people that produce the material, adding any post-processing tricks means you are not viewing the material as it was intended to be viewed.

L

LamontSim

Audioholic
I hurried to put this thread in but I should've added was for everyday or every type of viewing, movies, regular tv, sports, etc.

C

Crazy8s846

Audioholic
Some tvs wont do hdr unless they are in standard , anyother setting an my hdr doesn't work.

C

Crazy8s846

Audioholic
I was thinking netflix. An ps4 games, I dont do regular tv, stream everything, I don't do sports or any of the other stuff, except movies an tv shows streamed, so I cant help you. Keep your remote in hand change to the ones you think look better, I know my tv has a sports setting along with everything else you listed. But I stay in standard because almost everything I do is in hdr.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I've generally found movie is the most accurate, but that's with pre-4k/hdr stuff.

L

LamontSim

Audioholic
By what I've gotten in replies to this thus far, is it safe to say that a 4K or HDR TV won't produce in HDR unless it is in standard picture mode?

C

Crazy8s846

Audioholic
By what I've gotten in replies to this thus far, is it safe to say that a 4K or HDR TV won't produce in HDR unless it is in standard picture mode?
Mine wont, when I first got my tv, I set it to vivid. Cant remember why I changed it. I think it was because I wanted control over my back lighting any way , I thought I was watching in hdr, but when I changed the setting to standard , an started a game or netflex up in the right hand corner of the tv I get a message that says hdr. Doesn't do that on any other setting.

L

LamontSim

Audioholic
Mine wont, when I first got my tv, I set it to vivid. Cant remember why I changed it. I think it was because I wanted control over my back lighting any way , I thought I was watching in hdr, but when I changed the setting to standard , an started a game or netflex up in the right hand corner of the tv I get a message that says hdr. Doesn't do that on any other setting.
What brand of tv are you using?

C

Crazy8s846

Audioholic
What brand of tv are you using?
I can say it was upgrading every thing. It looked really good, but It wasn't running in true hdr till I changed the settings. Thats also when I started seeing little things that where not there before in my game, like leaves falling from trees and fireflys in a forest at night on the game.

Last edited:
William Lemmerhirt

William Lemmerhirt

Audioholic Overlord
I usually go with movie mode and calibrate with a spears and munsil disk. Too cheap for ISF.

P

ParisB

Audioholic
Movie or Cinema is always the most accurate as intended out of the box. Standard and Vivid are generally terrible. Game mode should only be used for gaming.

Depending on your model TV, even with Movie or Cinema, you still need to go into the settings and ensure the basics are set correctly too (like turning off dynamic contrast stuff or noise reduction or color space, frame interpolation etc).

Never copy adjustment settings like color management and contrast/black from others online.

C

Crazy8s846

Audioholic
Movie or Cinema is always the most accurate as intended out of the box. Standard and Vivid are generally terrible. Game mode should only be used for gaming.

Depending on your model TV, even with Movie or Cinema, you still need to go into the settings and ensure the basics are set correctly too (like turning off dynamic contrast stuff or noise reduction or color space, frame interpolation etc).

Never copy adjustment settings like color management and contrast/black from others online.
I dont know what tv you have, in standard mine looks better than in move after adjusting some settings.

lovinthehd

lovinthehd

Audioholic Jedi
I dont know what tv you have, in standard mine looks better than in move after adjusting some settings.
Looks better is like sounds better, it's merely subjective. Some prefer more accurate, some like it the way they like it.....but most calibrators' opinions I've seen ranks movie/cinema mode as generally the more accurate one.

P

ParisB

Audioholic
I should have clarified...accurate does not mean "looks best" which is subjective. Comparing side by side, most people lean towards standard and vivid because the saturated colors and brightened light output, so our initial impression thinks that pop means better....just like in audio sometimes we think louder is better.

But like sugar, once you let your eyes get used to an accurate picture, then standard and vivid modes do look funny.

Either way, nothing wrong with it. Just preference vs reference. All I was getting at is that I prefer accurate:)

Ps I have a new Sony

C

Crazy8s846

Audioholic
Yea its all subjective thats for sure, and sense Im color blind, well pastel deficient, sometimes I forget that I am.:oops:, I'm probably not the one to ask.lol :D

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis