Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I’m definitely not an anti vaxer as there are many vaccines that work… Covid and influenza just don’t make the list. If anyone wants to disagree please read CDC white papers first and get back to me, I have.
My doctor seems to push the influenza vaccine a little too much , does it help at all ?
Covid one I never got.

M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
My doctor seems to push the influenza vaccine a little too much , does it help at all ?
Covid one I never got.
Of course, it helps, if you get exposed to the flu and they guessed right on the strains. Same with the covid shots. But these are not going to be near 100% effective like the polio vaccine.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
I’m definitely not an anti vaxer as there are many vaccines that work… Covid and influenza just don’t make the list.
Both the Covid vaccines and the many various influenza vaccines have been clearly shown to work. They don't always prevent infection, but they do lessen the most severe symptoms including those requiring hospitalization. With the elderly and immune compromised, this has been critical to their survival.

Comparing Covid-19 or the yearly influenza viruses to polio virus is not a valid comparison. The viruses that cause Covid-19 and influenza change rapidly. Covid-19 is new since 2019 – it is still rapidly mutating. The numerous strains of influenza can rapidly change their outer coats each year.

On the other hand, Polio has been around for thousands of years, and its genome is much more stable.
If anyone wants to disagree please read CDC white papers first and get back to me, I have.
Links?

Last edited:
cpp

cpp

Audioholic Ninja
I know one thing, this RSV stuff if you get is pretty dangerous. I mentioned a while back my sister got it, took a while to get rid of it and yesterday a 82 year old across the street was rushed to the ER, and admitted and her husband mentioned she has a bad cause of RSV. My wife noted the lady didn't have the vaccine because her husband convinced her it wasn't needed. Boy was he wrong.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
Is RSV spread through the air like Covid?
Yes, and it's nasty to the young and the old.

It is time to review vaccine recommendations.

Influenza vaccines gives immunity against both influenza A & B. They are different diseases and B is much less common, but more often than not has a GI component. It is important for infants and children to be immunized because of B. Influenza B is the most often precursor to Reye's syndrome in children. This is an immune mediated inflammation and swelling of the brain in children. This has a significant mortality and morbidity. I will never forget having a brian death in an eleven year old from Reye's syndrome in our ICU.

Influenza A is much more serious in the elderly although fatalities can occur at any age. Immunizations are prepared each year for the prevailing strain. In the Northern hemisphere we get a heads up, as the winter flu season in the southern hemisphere gives us an early warning of what's coming. Vaccination is a bit better than 50% in preventing infection. However, it reduces severity markedly. In our unit I don't remember a fatality from influenza in an immunized individual. We had fatalities every winter from influenza pneumonia in unvaccinated individuals.

I would recommend yearly immunization for all, but essential for those over 50. Every year there a many preventable deaths from influenza.

Covid immunization should follow current recommendations. The biggest benefit now is reducing the burden of long Covid. Long Covid is turning out to be a bigger problem than we ever imagined. It is creating a burden to society as it has increased disability payments for people disabled and unable to work. I and others expect this burden to increase. The virus, can and does, persist in the CNS. Patients with progressive mental decline are now being observed. There certainly is concern for an increase in the societal burden of dementia, and that includes the relatively young. For this reason alone everyone should follow current and future Covid immunization guidelines.

For those over 50 RSV immunization is a no brainer.

Lastly don't forget to keep your Tetanus and Whooping cough immunizations current. Tetanus is particularly nasty, with a significant mortality.

Last edited:
M

mtrot

Senior Audioholic
Yes, my sister and husband have caught RSV once or twice because they keep taking care of their young granddaughter, who seems to get it from other kids. My sister and husband haven't gotten sick enough to go in the hospital but pretty sick and it drags on. My wife and I haven't thought much about it because we don't have any grandchildren and are hardly ever around children.

davidscott

davidscott

Audioholic Ninja

Influenza vaccines gives immunity against both influenza A & B. They are different diseases and B is much less common, but more often than not has a GI component. It is important for infants and children to be immunized because of B. Influenza B is the most often precursor to Reye's syndrome in children. This is an immune mediated inflammation and swelling of the brain in children. This has a significant mortality and morbidity. I will never forget having a brian death in an eleven year old from Reye's syndrome in our ICU.

Influenza A is much more serious in the elderly although fatalities can occur at any age. Immunizations are prepared each year for the prevailing strain. In the Northern hemisphere we get a heads up, as the winter flu season in the southern hemisphere gives us an early warning of what's coming. Vaccination is a bit better than 50% in preventing infection. However, it reduces severity markedly. In our unit I don't remember a fatality from influenza in an immunized individual. We had fatalities every winter from influenza pneumonia in unvaccinated individuals.

I would recommend yearly immunization for all, but essential for those over 50. Every year there a many preventable deaths from influenza.

Covid immunization should follow current recommendations. The biggest benefit now is reducing the burden of long Covid. Long Covid is turning out to be a bigger problem than we ever imagined. It is creating a burden to society as it has increased disability payments for people disabled and unable to work. I and others expect this burden to increase. The virus, can and does, persist in the CNS. Patients with progressive mental decline are now being observed. There certainly is concern for an increase in the societal burden of dementia, and that includes the relatively young. For this reason alone everyone should follow current and future Covid immunization guidelines.

Lastly don't forget to keep your Tetanus and Whooping cough immunizations current. Tetanus is particularly nasty, with a significant mortality.
Thanks, I'm current on my covid and flu shots I'll have to schedule a RSV shot.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai

There seems to be a big amount of people spreading misinformation saying long covid isn’t real but it’s definitely a real thing. Same people who were anti vaccine usually.
I only had covid once and had no symptoms or anything.

Out-Of-Phase

Out-Of-Phase

Audioholic General

Don't forget the Pneumonia shots.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Don't forget the Pneumonia shots.
Yes pneumococcal immunization is important and while we are on the topic, make sure you get your shingles immunization, with Shingrex. Shingles is very nasty and can leave you in pain for the rest of your life. It can also blind you in an affected eye.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Shouldn't you be out yelling at kids to get off your lawn?
Ahh … if I only had that kind of stamina!

In the rehab hospital, the Physical Therapy staff didn't include any exercises for that. They had a well equipped gym, including an old car to practice getting into and out of. But I never saw any green indoor/outdoor carpeting that could work as a lawn. I should tell them to get with the program.

Swerd

Swerd

Audioholic Warlord
Last October I got both Covid-19 and the Flu vaccines. But I didn't get the RSV shot.

When I spent all of November and part of December in the hospital, I was asked often about that. I was always very glad I did get those shots.

Last Monday, I got the most recent Covid-19 shot, and I scheduled an RSV shot for next week.

Too bad there isn't (yet) a lung cancer vaccine. When there is one, I'll be first in line to roll up my sleeve.

Last edited:
M

Mr._Clark

Audioholic Samurai
Here's an article about a person with a compromised immune system who was unable to clear the COVID virus during a long infection. The virus kept mutating and avoiding his immune system.

>>>A new report by Dutch scientists revealed a very peculiar case: On Feb. 2022, a 72-year-old man with a compromised immune system was admitted to Amsterdam University Medical Center with a COVID-19 infection. The virus in his body proceeded to evolve over the course of 613 days, leading to a highly mutated variant that ultimately killed him.

According to the study, the man, whose identity was not disclosed, suffered from a blood disorder. Despite receiving multiple doses of the SARS-CoV-2 vaccine, his compromised immune system made him unable to generate a detectable antibody response, allowing the virus to continue to evolve into a "novel immune-evasive variant" that had mutated over 50 times.<<<

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Here's an article about a person with a compromised immune system who was unable to clear the COVID virus during a long infection. The virus kept mutating and avoiding his immune system.

>>>A new report by Dutch scientists revealed a very peculiar case: On Feb. 2022, a 72-year-old man with a compromised immune system was admitted to Amsterdam University Medical Center with a COVID-19 infection. The virus in his body proceeded to evolve over the course of 613 days, leading to a highly mutated variant that ultimately killed him.

According to the study, the man, whose identity was not disclosed, suffered from a blood disorder. Despite receiving multiple doses of the SARS-CoV-2 vaccine, his compromised immune system made him unable to generate a detectable antibody response, allowing the virus to continue to evolve into a "novel immune-evasive variant" that had mutated over 50 times.<<<

I sure hope they practiced exemplary infection control measures and kept that guy under wraps.

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis