Cornwall Center with Klipsch La Scala mains

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
That is about the lowest quality terminal you could get.

Install something like this.

That will take bare wire or banana plugs.

I’ve never tried those plugs , got a whole dedicated thread to banana plugs . Deadbolt style probably my favorite.
Why don’t vintage hifi shelf speakers have terminals only one pair of mine do. The rest micro thin cables .
5B1A39DC-216F-4072-8C3D-FD9A1E1E238D.jpeg

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Nothing wrong with the jacks I selected. I'll skip getting those Menards fork terminals for the crossover though. Parts Express has better obviously and with red and black jackets of course.

Last edited:
Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I'd like to be able to edit the title of this thread. Oh well, no biggie.
Q. what is the best connector? A. no connector!
At least that is what I did for now. I I crimped my speaker wire directly to the input lead. I do not want to install the new banana jacks until after I paint the back black. I could not even imagine continuing the use the original screw terminals that actually use the mounting screws as conductors!

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
BTW, I used closed-end crimps, where you twist the wires together then crimp. Which, if for audio is the only way to go.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I installed the new 14 ga. OFC wiring and gold fork terminals in the Cornwall. Plus, I cleaned up the xover connections with a wire wheel first. Is it my imagination that it sounds better? My first impression watching the 1993 movie "Gettysburg" was that the cannons, etc sounded punchier and just over-all more clear. Or do you think it is my imagination? It already sounded good before the new wiring. I had to solder the fork terminals and most everything else. The crimps (fork terminals) were not insulated and my crimper wouldn't accommodate that.

Last edited:
Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
BTW, I used closed-end crimps, where you twist the wires together then crimp. Which, if for audio is the only way to go.
I only spliced a few wires and used electrical tape . Didn’t figure buying a 100 pack of crimpers plastic things for 3 splice Jobs.
I'd like to be able to edit the title of this thread. Oh well, no biggie.
Q. what is the best connector? A. no connector!
At least that is what I did for now. I I crimped my speaker wire directly to the input lead. I do not want to install the new banana jacks until after I paint the back black. I could not even imagine continuing the use the original screw terminals that actually use the mounting screws as conductors!
Just makes a new thread for this purpose, it’s a well debated topic . I made a thread just on bananas plugs . :D Just to-decide what type to use .

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I only spliced a few wires and used electrical tape . Didn’t figure buying a 100 pack of crimpers plastic things for 3 splice Jobs.
I have a lot of crimps on hand as I have installed car stereos for over 40 years.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I’ve never tried those plugs , got a whole dedicated thread to banana plugs . Deadbolt style probably my favorite.
Why don’t vintage hifi shelf speakers have terminals only one pair of mine do. The rest micro thin cables .View attachment 60019
My Minimus 7's that I use for heights and surrounds had those weak spring teeth-type terminals. Even worse though. So weak that a slight tug and the wire comes right out. The teeth were metal, but inset was plastic iirc. I replaced all 6 pair that I have with these from Parts Express. They are super strong springs and make a world of difference. https://www.parts-express.com/Spring-Loaded-Terminal-Pair-091-1152?quantity=1

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
That's what the engineers at klipsch recommend, I would just use the original terminals and bare wire.
Well, the "no connector" is temporary until I work on the cabinet this spring. I have the input leads coming out from where the original terminals were. They are twisted and crimped to my speaker wire. After I paint the back, then I will install the new banana jacks.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis