Cornwall Center with Klipsch La Scala mains

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Audio purists might say stick with the same brand across the front. Does it matter that much? Would a guy get used to it if there was some incongruency? And if it is fine to mix these brands, is the SVS Prime center a huge downgrade from the ultra?

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
Those are so radically different speakers that I would think it matters. There will be a serious timbral mismatch between the center and left/right speakers. Sometimes I do think exact matching is overblown, as center speakers are rarely a great match with the front left/right even within the same speaker line and it doesn't often seem to bother people, but I would guess not in this case.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Those are so radically different speakers that I would think it matters. There will be a serious timbral mismatch between the center and left/right speakers. Sometimes I do think exact matching is overblown, as center speakers are rarely a great match with the front left/right even within the same speaker line and it doesn't often seem to bother people, but I would guess not in this case.
Can you think of brands that would match better? Not Klipsch. I want to see other options. Plus, I hate the copper cones on all the new ones.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
The only speaker that would really match a La Scala is either another La Scala or a very similar Klipsch Heritage speaker like a Klipschorn. Waaay back in the day, Klipsch made the Heresy to serve specifically as a center for their other larger speakers like the La Scala, Cornwall, and the Klipschorn, but having heard them all back to back (previous generations, not the current ones) I would say that the Heresy sounds very different from the other Klipsch Heritage speakers. The La Scalas are a very singular old-school design. Modern loudspeakers just aren't going to sound like them, unfortunately.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I do have room for a third LS if I went that route. It would not be easy to find just one though. How about Emotiva C1+ or C2+? Would that at least get closer?

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
There is a beat up Cornwall about 2.5 hours from me at a fair price. I am checking if he's willing to meet 1/2 way.

TLS Guy

TLS Guy

Seriously, I have no life.
There is a beat up Cornwall about 2.5 hours from me at a fair price. I am checking if he's willing to meet 1/2 way.
How beat up? One of those probably would match your LaScalas fairly well.

S

shadyJ

Speaker of the House
Staff member
I do have room for a third LS if I went that route. It would not be easy to find just one though. How about Emotiva C1+ or C2+? Would that at least get closer?
The Emotiva speakers wouldn't sound anything like your La Scalas.

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I am on my way to buy the Cornwall. He said all drivers work. Great find!

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I got it home. So massive. But I do have room. It needs new veneer and grill cloth. I'll take care of that maybe this summer. Otherwise, it is fine. No serial number sticker. Dang. Playing some mono remastered Beatles through it now. All drivers sound perfect. Tons more bass than my LS's. The dust cover was pushed in, but I carefully got that out with a vacuum cleaner. This should work dandy as a center. I got it for a song. $375! Cost me $54 gas and including lunch to go get it.

Attachments

Last edited:
Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
This speaker does not have a real veneer on it. I am pretty sure it has been added. Seems like Formica counter-top stuff to me. So when I go to remove all of that, I am hoping I find the serial number underneath on the back. It should be located just under the screw terminals.

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
Audio purists might say stick with the same brand across the front. Does it matter that much? Would a guy get used to it if there was some incongruency? And if it is fine to mix these brands, is the SVS Prime center a huge downgrade from the ultra?
I’d expect the Klipch to blow the doors off the svs , if you want a center go phantom or get a third Klipsch ?? those are expensive speakers .

Kingnoob

Kingnoob

Audioholic Samurai
I got it home. So massive. But I do have room. It needs new veneer and grill cloth. I'll take care of that maybe this summer. Otherwise, it is fine. No serial number sticker. Dang. Playing some mono remastered Beatles through it now. All drivers sound perfect. Tons more bass than my LS's. The dust cover was pushed in, but I carefully got that out with a vacuum cleaner. This should work dandy as a center. I got it for a song. $375! Cost me $54 gas and including lunch to go get it.
Woah that’s a beast!! New used center ??

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Looks like they covered the “raw” finish.
View attachment 59915
I have seen this one on google I think. I'm fairly sure that this is the finish underneath. The front, I believe on some other shots of this google speaker is flush. No recess for the grill, whereas with mine it is recessed. So it's probably not the same year. For any Klipsch folks, is there any other way to tell? Photo of the xover help? I'll probably go ahead and see if the sticker is back there today after work.

T

Trebdp83

Audioholic Ninja
Front looks similar to your speaker with grill recess. Looks as though your speaker had the inner edges sprayed black. Perhaps they were going for the Cornwall IV look. Did they spray the back of the speaker black?
5B4C993B-B6E1-43ED-929D-716269877971.jpeg

Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
Front looks similar to your speaker with grill recess. Looks as though your speaker had the inner edges sprayed black. Perhaps they were going for the Cornwall IV look. Did they spray the back of the speaker black?
View attachment 59933
Oh, I thought that was the flush one I saw. If I had to guess, this was done long ago, before the IV's came out. The back has the formica too hopefully covering up the sticker. If I see it under there, it's doubtful I can expose it much without destroying it. It's worth a try. I'll cut a rectangle with my dremel first, then use a heat gun.

Last edited:
Squishman

Squishman

Audioholic General
I found the number stamped under the formica. Like my LS's, Klipsch stamped it in the wood on top on the earlier models. It is a 1979. Glad to have that ironed out. Serial number is 21T528. I'd like to have the sticker, but if it's there, it is likely a goner. I was glad that that was so easy to find.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis