Copying LP records to CDs on the computer

S

sherchlojo

Audioholic Intern
I have a collection of LP records which I would like to put on CDs by using my computer. I have a Stanton digital turntable which, according to the turntable instructions, I can connect to the sound card of my computer. My computer is a Dell Dimension 4600 with integrated sound. This may be a silly question, but can you connect a turntable to an "integrated sound" computer? If I had to, I could buy a sound card for this computer, but I have no idea which kind of sound card to get. Have any of you copied LPs with this model of computer? What kind of sound card do you reccommend?
Your advice would be appreciated.

BMXTRIX

BMXTRIX

Audioholic Warlord
One of the biggest issues I have seen, or rather heard, before I knew any better, was that record players need to be taken from a 'phono' level to line level.

If there is not a phono pre-amp built into your record player you need to run the audio through something to bring it up to line level. A phono preamp can be had at Radio Shack for about 25 bucks it looks like:
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=42-2825

My A/V receiver has a phono input on it, as well as line level outputs that I can take into my sound card. Your sound card will have line level inputs on it as well, or at least it should. I have seen very few computers without line level inputs.

You need a RCA to 1/8" mini-stereo adapter plug to go from the phono pre-amp to your computer. This is overpriced (read: Monster) but you can find similar at your local Radio Shack for under 10 bucks.
http://www.radioshack.com/product.asp?catalog_name=CTLG&product_id=15-2473

Now, your record player, to the phono preamp, to the line-in input on your PC. There are programs readily available that can help with the recording process as well which can simplify the process and help keep it clean. A quick Google search will give you a TON of software - the first hit I got was this:
http://www.blazeaudio.com/products/tapetocd_softpack.html

The one time I tried it, I didn't use a phono pre-amp and now my copies sound like crud. Nothing at all like the originals. I am going to start over and do it again, only this time I will have a phono pre-amp in the setup and my results should be much better.

jaxvon

jaxvon

Audioholic Ninja
I'd personally go for something better than onboard sound. They DACs are usually of a lower quality than a standalone card and can often have noisy input and output stages. You might try going for an M-Audio Audiophile sound card.

S

sherchlojo

Audioholic Intern
Thanks for the great info. I too am a Radio Shack fan. If I need a pre amp, now I know which one to ask for. I'm also going to check out that sound card.
That is a neat idea providing those links.
Thanks again. You have been very helpful.

WmAx

WmAx

Audioholic Samurai
jaxvon said:
I'd personally go for something better than onboard sound. They DACs are usually of a lower quality than a standalone card and can often have noisy input and output stages. You might try going for an M-Audio Audiophile sound card.
That's a nice card and all, but for the same price he could aquire an E-MU 0404 which has far better technical performance.

-Chris

J

jbracing24

Junior Audioholic
I have done a lot of archiving from LP to CD. I have a cheap Kenwood turntable connected to the phono inputs of an older Technics A/V. The A/V is line in connected to a Sony Media Center computer. The Sony came with Sonicstage Mastering Studio software which allows seamless transfer to disc, with editing, disc labelling,etc, as well as WAV files, if you want to store music on the server for distribution to the network. I have a full catalogue of Chet Atkins LP's which I have half put to CD. Well worth the effort.

Latest posts

newsletter

• RBHsound.com
  • BlueJeansCable.com
  • SVS Sound Subwoofers
  • Experience the Martin Logan Montis